VOGONS

First post, by Fujitsubo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing difficulties with a fresh installation of Windows 98 SE and the functionality of a GF2 MX400 APG 64MB graphics card after installing its drivers. I have attempted to use 10 different drivers, not exaggerating, including versions 77.xx, 71.xx, and several 40.xx ones, all sourced from the Vogons driver archive. However, whenever the drivers are being used with this card, Windows refuses to boot and returns to the safe mode selection screen. Surprisingly, the machine boots and operates normally with the generic VGA drivers. I am unsure of what steps to take next. Is it possible that the card itself is defective? It seems strange that it functions without the drivers, but encounters issues when the drivers are utilized, preventing Windows from loading.

Here are my system specifications:

P2B-DS motherboard with dual 450MHz P3 processors
192MB of RAM
Monster 3dfx Voodoo 2
Creative Vibra 16 ISA sound card

Update: with the monster 3dfx 2 removed it boots to the GF2 MX400 is this normal ? i dont have a passthrough cable yet so im just using it without one for now with my vga cable into the geforce it posts and displays of course just doesnt boot into windows.

Reply 1 of 18, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

77.xx is too new and is not for 98SE. Get something older like 45.43 or something like that for the Geforce2 MX400.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 18, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Earlier drivers should be more performant under windows 98 for that card. I think the first one that supports it is version 5.32 but the support is more complete by version 8.05.

Reply 3 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh I think 7.76_whql has support for MX400, just checked 6.49, 6.50 and 6.72_whql and they do not list MX400....if it were me would go with 12.41 as a starting point, dated 2001 it should support DirectX to DX8.0 afaik

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Detonator 8.05 (or maybe 21.85 which is stable) would be good enough for that CPU. Anything after that is optimized for Pentium 4 CPUs and later.

Note that 8.05 actually came after 12.41 as nVidia had something akin to "branches" regarding driver releases.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 18, by Fujitsubo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When the 3dfx Voodoo 2 graphics card is removed, the GeForce card successfully boots into Windows with its offical drivers. However, as soon as I install the 3dfx card, the system fails to boot. I have installed the drivers for the 3dfx card, and it appears to be working fine in the device manager. Even when I remove the drivers for the 3dfx card but leave it installed, the system still doesn't boot with the Nvidia drivers. I attempted to troubleshoot the issue by removing one of the CPUs, but that did not resolve the problem. It seems like there might be a peculiar compatibility issue between the AGP slot and this 3DFX card, although I haven't found any similar reports online. I have tested various driver versions such as 40.xxx and even tried 12.41, and they all worked fine when the 3dfx card was removed, but caused booting issues when installed.

Considering these circumstances, here are my possible options:

A. Update the BIOS to a newwe version its currently on version 1012b and hope that it resolves the problem.
B. Try finding a PCI graphics card to determine if there's a compatibility issue specifically between the AGP slot and the 3dfx card.
C. Entertain the idea of using a large hammer on the computer.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

Video of the machine posting and failing to boot windows with the 2 cards installed when both have there drivers installed
https://youtu.be/6TIAx7CFxz4

Reply 6 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go for the option A to see if it solves the problem, I didn't have that issue when pairing a Voodoo2 with any AGP card on an ASUS Slot 1 motherboard.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 7 of 18, by Fujitsubo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-06-25, 22:51:

Go for the option A to see if it solves the problem, I didn't have that issue when pairing a Voodoo2 with any AGP card on an ASUS Slot 1 motherboard.

thanks i will try that first. if that fails ill grab my benchtable out slap another p3 board on it stick the voodo 2 and gf 2 mx400 in it and see if it boots to rule out the MB

Reply 8 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good idea ! Have you tried various PCI slots for the Voodoo ? Maybe there is an Interupt or IRQ share thing causing the Windows issue....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 18, by Fujitsubo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-06-25, 23:10:

Good idea ! Have you tried various PCI slots for the Voodoo ? Maybe there is an Interupt or IRQ share thing causing the Windows issue....

but if it was an IRQ issue wouldnt that mean it would never boot. with my issue it will boot when the AGP Gefroce 2 card has its driver set to generic VGA adapter and wont boot when its trying to use the Nvidia Drivers.

Reply 10 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Voodoo2 card doesn't get an IRQ assigned to it, so it is very unlikely to be related to IRQ conflicts.

Reply 11 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-06-26, 00:41:

The Voodoo2 card doesn't get an IRQ assigned to it, so it is very unlikely to be related to IRQ conflicts.

Ohh that is right, it does use a PCI INT# but not IRQ.

Reply 12 of 18, by Fujitsubo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

updated the bios to the most recent version, and moved the 3dFX card to another pci slot. same issue no boot. removed 3DFX card booted normal into windows 98 SE with Nvidia drivers and then bitched that the 3DFX card was missing as expected. ill try both cards in this other motherboard tonight and see what i find.

Reply 13 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does the Voodoo card work proper ? When did you last test it ? sounds like IT might be the issue (many Voodoo develop problems after all these years)....
When you got the board to boot using generic Win98 driver for video did you run the Voodoo Diag tests to make sure it works ?
Re: Faulty Voodoo 2? link to file: http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/downloads/glide_sdk-243.zip
Which Voodoo drivers are you using for Win98 ?

edit: I pointed to wrong file, is updated

Last edited by Horun on 2023-06-26, 14:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 18, by Fujitsubo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-06-26, 03:40:
Does the Voodoo card work proper ? When did you last test it ? sounds like IT might be the issue (many Voodoo develop problems a […]
Show full quote

Does the Voodoo card work proper ? When did you last test it ? sounds like IT might be the issue (many Voodoo develop problems after all these years)....
When you got the board to boot using generic Win98 driver for video did you run the Voodoo Diag tests to make sure it works ?
Re: Program to test Voodoo in DOS?
Which Voodoo drivers are you using for Win98 ?

its a Diamond Monster 3D II i got in a bulk lot of parts last year. i have never seen it working as i dont have the passthrough cable yet. i can just launch the test and then plug the vga into the card and see if it dispalys yeah ?

the drivers for this card for 98 i got from the vogons site listed below, the folder the drivers where in was called win95.....

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … 6&menustate=1,0

Reply 15 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should run Mojo.exe to see what it says. It is DOS based and should be run from real DOS not a DOS Window. Does not require the passthru cable iirc as I have used it to test a few without one.

Attachments

• Filename
    DOS Voodoo diags2.zip
    File size
    599.19 KiB
    Downloads
    30 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 18, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As someone stated, there shouldn't be IRQ conflicts with a voodoo 2, but I did notice in your video that you still had your serial and parallel ports enabled. I always disable those in the bios as a best practice to try and avoid any potential resource conflicts. You may also want to remove your soundcard while troubleshooting this issue to make sure it's not a contributing factor either.

Reply 17 of 18, by Fujitsubo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: moved hardware over to another P3 board a Octek Rhino VAP133S-ACP Socket 370 with a 733mhz cpu, installed chipset drivers installed nvidia drivers installed monster 3d drivers... boots into windows now...... but now there is a new problem. with the card installed right click on the desktop and then properties does not bring up the disaplay settings when the cards installed card shows in device manager as it should. the control panel in windows takes about 2 minutes to load every time its clicked. remove monster 3D boot back up again display propeties work again control panel opens right away... WTAF.... next ill try what horun said with the test file in real dos.

Reply 18 of 18, by Fujitsubo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

with the fastvoodoo 4.6 drivers installed the display options now work and i can see the card under the info tab like its specs etc 4mb but when loading a demo i get "_GlideInitEnvironment:glide2x.dll expected Voodoo^2, none detected" i think im giving up on this card for now. i might stick it under my microscope at some stage and go around looking for bent pins or anything on the board i can fix. for now ill just cruise along with this geforce card in it and use openGL

Update: my vga passthrough cable arrived and with it installed the card loaded GLIDE test donut thing and worked perfectly fine i think this ones solved and im just gonna leave this card in its current motherboard.