VOGONS

First post, by eyalk4568

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know you cant put speakers without magnetic shielding near a CRT, as it can disturbed the image and even damage it after sometime. So I thought trying using headphones with it as they can reduce the hearing of the whine the CRT makes.
So my question is, can you use modern headphones with a CRT or does it also needs to be magnetically shielded?

Reply 1 of 7, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The magnets in headphones are not strong enough for that. You probably only need to worry about some big tower speakers or a massive subwoofer being very close to the CRT monitor. On a basic level, the electron beam in a CRT is controlled by magnets, so if you put a magnetic field strong enough next to the CRT you can alter where the beam is going, which causes purity issues.

Reply 2 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiibur wrote on 2023-07-01, 08:36:

very close to the CRT monitor.

That's the key point. You need magnetically shielded speakers if you put them right next to the screen. If the headphones are on your head, they are far enough from the screen to not cause any issues. You shouldn't hang them touching the front of the screen when you are not using the computer, though.

Reply 4 of 7, by eyalk4568

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-07-01, 09:18:
wiibur wrote on 2023-07-01, 08:36:

very close to the CRT monitor.

That's the key point. You need magnetically shielded speakers if you put them right next to the screen. If the headphones are on your head, they are far enough from the screen to not cause any issues. You shouldn't hang them touching the front of the screen when you are not using the computer, though.

Does that mean that I can use any headphones I want and there wont be any problem?

Reply 5 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eyalk4568 wrote on 2023-07-01, 14:08:

Does that mean that I can use any headphones I want and there wont be any problem?

If you don't position the headphones in a way that they touch the front glass of the CRT for a long time, there will be no problem.

Reply 6 of 7, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is simplified, but in general the magnetic field falls off in strength inversely to the cube of the distance from the magnet (green line below).

power-law.gif
Filename
power-law.gif
File size
11.36 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The majority of headphone drivers have a magnetic field strength on the order of magnitude of milliTesla (~30mT or less), which means that by 2 millimeters away the field strength is already ~88% weaker, 3mm would be ~96% weaker, 4mm ~98% weaker, 5mm ~99% weaker. I expect the headphones on your head would be at least a few hundred millimeters away from the CRT, so there's very little risk of noticeable interference. Now, with field strength on the order of magnitude of Teslas (>1000mT), which very high-end headphones or speakers systems would have, it would take 2 meters of distance to reduce the field by 88%, 3 meters would be 96% weaker, etc. This is significantly more distance but the rate of fall off is still dramatic.

Screenshot 2023-07-01 125236.png
Filename
Screenshot 2023-07-01 125236.png
File size
72.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

If you notice that something starts affecting the colors on the monitor, just move it away and there's usually no harm done. You aren't going to damage it by momentarily placing a small magnet near it. It gets more serious with close, prolonged exposures and/or more powerful magnets because they can magnetize or physically warp the iron-alloy mesh that the electron beam is fired through, causing it to hit the incorrect phosphors on the screen. Power cycling or manually degaussing the monitor can usually solve small mesh magnetization issues but the warping is most likely permanent damage.

I also saw your related post about the Altec Lansing speakers. The satellites probably also have magnetic field strength on the order of milliTeslas so they only need to be on the order of millimeters away from the monitor. There's probably enough space in between them just due to the speaker enclosure/housing and monitor bezel. Compaq even sold monitors with speakers hanging off them for a while. I had one of these growing up and never noticed any purity issues, but I'd be interested if anyone else did.

s-l500 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l500 (1).jpg
File size
22.6 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of the older computer speakers have a metal shell/shield around the magnet to reduce the field.... example of some cheap labtechs.

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Filename
    Image3.jpg
    File size
    25.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun