VOGONS

First post, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a motherboard KM-S4-1 with a AM5x86-P75-S CPU. The most recent BIOS (4.2) is installed. Normally this CPU is operated at a clockspeed of 133 MHz. I have overclocked the CPU by rising the busspeed from 33 to 40 MHz, so that the CPU works on 160 MHz. After I raised the CPU-voltage to 4 V the system works stable as far as I can see. An unexpected effect after overclocking is that the speed of the PCI slot with the videocard (a S3 Virge DX) is going down. I saw that by using the program Speedsys before and after the overclock. The photo's below show that the speed went down from 12300 to 11120 kb/s.

Before overclock:

133mhz.jpg
Filename
133mhz.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

After overclock:

160mhz.jpg
Filename
160mhz.jpg
File size
1.94 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Playing games that ask a lot of video-capacity (Duke Nukem 3d or Doom) performed less good after the overclock, "light" games performed much better.

Sometime ago I used the motherboard PVI-486sp3 that has the same motherboard chip. There the videocard performed a lot better with a speed of 22243 kb/s. I used the same videocard as above.

Does someone know why the KM-S4-1 is so underperforming?

Reply 1 of 2, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably, when you changed the FSB clock to 40 MHz from 33 MHz, you also enabled the PCI clock divider. This means you down-clocked the PCI bus from 33 MHz to 20 MHz. On SiS 496/497 boards, the PCI clock divider is configured using a jumper. The bus clock configuration shown in mainboard manuals usually include the position for the "PCI-divide-by-2" jumper. Try setting JP12 as indicated for 33MHz, but keeping JP11 as indicated for 40MHz.

Reply 2 of 2, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you mkarcher. As you adviced I changed the setting of JP12 to 33 MHZ. The result was a very little increase of the speed of the videocard. The same videocard on another motherboard with the same chipset shows a much higher speed: 16600 in stead of 14805 KB/s. Are there more options to increase the speed of the videocard on the KM-S4-1 or should I be happy with what I've got?