VOGONS

First post, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the title gives the game away really
Im looking for a way to have a 6 Pin AUX connector on a modern PSU.

All I can find on the net (ebay) converts the ATX connector to an both AT connectors, which I dont want.

I ask because several of my motherboards are (or were) server/workstation grade mainboards and require the 6 pin AUX power as well as the 20 or 24 pin ATX connector.
One of them has a 24 pin ATX and a 6 pin AUX plus a fail over 20 pin ATX connector (which Im not really interested in using as UK mains power is usually pretty stable)
Another has a 20 pin ATX and a 6 pin AUX

I would rather like to upgrade my power supplies as they are now getting on for 15 years old or more. But no dice as I cant find a 6 pin connector on any modern PSU that pumps out the power to feed the boards.

Reply 1 of 16, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This listing mentions an adapter for Dell motherboards, but looking at the wires coming out of the AUX connector it seems to be the standard ATX pinout (+5V +3.3V +3.3V GND GND GND):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234303646117

So you may want to contact the seller to get more details.

Other than that, there's always the option of buying the connectors and housings and crimping them yourself, but that will probably end up costing a lot for just a single adapter.

By the way, I've only seen the 6-pin AUX connector on motherboards from the early '00s, never on one with 24-pin ATX connector. I think the AUX was removed when the 24-pin connector was introduced. Do you have pictures?

Reply 2 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah apart from thats in the states and he doesnt post to the UK Im not sure about stuff like that because I know from experience Dell, Compaq HP and such like liked to use standard colour wires and bugger about with the pin outs. or just keep the pin out standard and change the colours of the wires altogether. I mean Ive got a Dell PSU here thats just got a load of black yellow and white wires in a 24 pin ATX connector.

So modern PSUs do pump out all the right voltages then?

Pictures...
I can get some if you want, but of what exactly, its just a 24 pin, 6 pin and 20 pin female connector.

Reply 4 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
st31276a wrote on 2023-07-25, 06:22:

Just splice a connector onto your favourite psu 😀

There is a guy who lives locally who can get that kind of thing done for me, he is an industrial electrician, but he knows everybody in my area.

I was really looking for some kind of adapter that plugs in in between the 20/24 pin ATX connector and tap into the main PSU output.

Is the connector 12v or a 5v 3.3 volt?

Reply 5 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-07-27, 03:17:
There is a guy who lives locally who can get that kind of thing done for me, he is an industrial electrician, but he knows every […]
Show full quote
st31276a wrote on 2023-07-25, 06:22:

Just splice a connector onto your favourite psu 😀

There is a guy who lives locally who can get that kind of thing done for me, he is an industrial electrician, but he knows everybody in my area.

I was really looking for some kind of adapter that plugs in in between the 20/24 pin ATX connector and tap into the main PSU output.

Is the connector 12v or a 5v 3.3 volt?

Which board brands / models are we talking here (do their manuals say the AUX connector is required or just for heavily loaded systems). I have similar classes of boards with the same 24-pin + AUX layout eg the Intel STL2 dual skt 370, which will happily run without an AUX.

Generally, these supply 3.3, 5 & GND rather than 12V, but that just a general rule rather than a fixed standard - there will always be ones doing it slightly differently whether in colour, delivery or precise pin order

Reply 6 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Supermicro. Super P3TDE6 is the main one, what works for it can carry over to the others.
Yes it requires the P6 Aux if running in dual CPU config, which it is. Its also fully loaded with AGP and PCI cards which means it will need its 3.3 and 5 volt rails.

The manual gives the pin outs for the 20 pin ATX connector but not the P6 (which it calls PWR_SEC connector).

If it is a feed from the 3.3 and 5 volt rails on the PSU I wonder if it is possible to tap into the main 20 pin power cables for it.
Modern power supply rails seem to be a lot more robust

Reply 7 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-07-27, 11:16:
Supermicro. Super P3TDE6 is the main one, what works for it can carry over to the others. Yes it requires the P6 Aux if running […]
Show full quote

Supermicro. Super P3TDE6 is the main one, what works for it can carry over to the others.
Yes it requires the P6 Aux if running in dual CPU config, which it is. Its also fully loaded with AGP and PCI cards which means it will need its 3.3 and 5 volt rails.

The manual gives the pin outs for the 20 pin ATX connector but not the P6 (which it calls PWR_SEC connector).

If it is a feed from the 3.3 and 5 volt rails on the PSU I wonder if it is possible to tap into the main 20 pin power cables for it.

For the P3TDE6 at least, you'd be better running with a decent 24 pin psu connected to the ATX Power #1 connector as, despite what the manual says, it clearly runs in DP mode without needing the AUX connector...

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/ … tde6_mobo_with/

Dual P3TDE6 rig.jpg
Filename
Dual P3TDE6 rig.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...and for any other boards with AUXs, either splice into the psu wiring loom or buy some short 20 or 24 pin ATX extension cables and splice into those instead

Reply 8 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I know it runs without the aux connector, when I first got it back when it was new I ran it without the aux connector, but then as I added the PCI cards I started running into problems and was advised to get a new PSU with the aux connector and that did indeed fix the problems I had.

Now Im reconfiguring it and I need a much larger PSU which got me to needing a modern PSU with an aux connector.

Reply 9 of 16, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont know about 24 pin but I have a 20 pin one and its not the Dell converter as I have one of those as well.

A quick google search turns up 2 links: https://store.cwc-group.com/20atxpoextca.html
https://www.atxpowersupplies.com/6-pin-aux-co … tor-adapter.php

xdwvuPMl.jpg

The one I have is like the one in the 2nd link. I got it for my supermicro system and then fully loaded it up and didnt need it.

Reply 10 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grem Five wrote on 2023-07-27, 13:53:
I dont know about 24 pin but I have a 20 pin one and its not the Dell converter as I have one of those as well. […]
Show full quote

I dont know about 24 pin but I have a 20 pin one and its not the Dell converter as I have one of those as well.

A quick google search turns up 2 links: https://store.cwc-group.com/20atxpoextca.html
https://www.atxpowersupplies.com/6-pin-aux-co … tor-adapter.php

xdwvuPMl.jpg

The one I have is like the one in the 2nd link. I got it for my supermicro system and then fully loaded it up and didnt need it.

Couldnt do a long one next time could you?

The first doesnt post to the UK and the second one costs over $100 when shipped to the UK.
I could get one made locally for half that money and that would still be massively expensive.

But you do have the right idea except Im looking for a 24 pin version of it. preferably without the P4 connector.

Reply 11 of 16, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If all alternatives are to expensive shipping wise then I would just make one myself or get someone to make it but I would have them do a sata to to 6 pin aux as the sata connector already has all the correct voltages for the 6 pin aux needs. Seems like a better idea then tapping into the 24 pin plug and then that cable can be used on any modern psu going forward.

Only thing I would have to say as I'm not and elec engineer I would not know how much power the sata connector is designed to supply through a modern sata connection and how much the board might require through its aux 6 pin connector needed doing it this way.

I googled and surprised no one makes one of these.

Reply 12 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah you see thats what Im not sure about.
I know a modern PSU has those rails but if you look at the outputs Im not sure how beefy the rails are because of the reason why those connectors need the 3.3 and 5 volt rails.

I would rather take a feed from the 24pin ATX connector using an extension cable with a fly lead on it.
It looks like Ill have to look into having one custom made locally as like I think you have also discovered nobody seems to make one, at least not one that is widely available.
The link above has one but its over $100 including shipping excluding taxes.

Ill have to see how much a custom made one will cost...
I cant believe nobody else has come up against this problem

Reply 13 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-07-27, 22:52:
Yeah you see thats what Im not sure about. I know a modern PSU has those rails but if you look at the outputs Im not sure how be […]
Show full quote

Yeah you see thats what Im not sure about.
I know a modern PSU has those rails but if you look at the outputs Im not sure how beefy the rails are because of the reason why those connectors need the 3.3 and 5 volt rails.

I would rather take a feed from the 24pin ATX connector using an extension cable with a fly lead on it.
It looks like Ill have to look into having one custom made locally as like I think you have also discovered nobody seems to make one, at least not one that is widely available.
The link above has one but its over $100 including shipping excluding taxes.

Ill have to see how much a custom made one will cost...
I cant believe nobody else has come up against this problem

They have...simplest solution is to make your own (hardest part is sometimes finding a donor AUX connector) - I've made loads over the years for old Dell boards and although their pinouts are different the principle is the same.

Don't know why SM didn't include the pinout in the P3TDE6 manual when its shown in the similar vintage P3TDL3 / P3TDLE manual

SM P3TD PWR_SEC Pinout.jpg
Filename
SM P3TD PWR_SEC Pinout.jpg
File size
45.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 16, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-07-29, 00:08:

Maybe because the P3TDL3/P3TDLE dont have the 24pin
Table 2-2 in the P3TDE6 manual is for the 24 pin connector.

My P3TDLE has the 24 pin main power and the 6 pin aux power connector and runs just fine without the use of the 6 pin aux in my config.

RpffDDvl.jpg

Why I highlighted in that pic - of the 4 extra pins on a 24 pin over a 20 pin is one 3.3v and one 5.5v

My P6DGS has the 20 pin main power and the 6 pin aux power connector and runs just fine without the use of the 6 pin aux in my config.

Main words in that is "my config" as I dont have any power hungry cards in the PCI slots and the AGP slot on my P6DGS isnt an AGP Pro slot and not using an AGP Pro card.

Actually modern power supply rails are more robust on the 12 volt rail but much weaker when it comes to 3.3 and 5 volt rails.

Reply 16 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grem Five wrote on 2023-07-29, 01:08:
My P3TDLE has the 24 pin main power and the 6 pin aux power connector and runs just fine without the use of the 6 pin aux in my […]
Show full quote
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-07-29, 00:08:

Maybe because the P3TDL3/P3TDLE dont have the 24pin
Table 2-2 in the P3TDE6 manual is for the 24 pin connector.

My P3TDLE has the 24 pin main power and the 6 pin aux power connector and runs just fine without the use of the 6 pin aux in my config.

RpffDDvl.jpg

Why I highlighted in that pic - of the 4 extra pins on a 24 pin over a 20 pin is one 3.3v and one 5.5v

My P6DGS has the 20 pin main power and the 6 pin aux power connector and runs just fine without the use of the 6 pin aux in my config.

Main words in that is "my config" as I dont have any power hungry cards in the PCI slots and the AGP slot on my P6DGS isnt an AGP Pro slot and not using an AGP Pro card.

Actually modern power supply rails are more robust on the 12 volt rail but much weaker when it comes to 3.3 and 5 volt rails.

About the P3TDLE I dont know. I do know the P3TDE6 manual doesnt show the aux connector pin outs.

My systems PSU doesnt have a 24pin ATX it has a 20 pin and a 6 pin aux Its an old PSU from about 15-20 years ago) and I know from actually using it given all the expansion cards in it it needs both connectors to be used.
Things like SCSI RAID controllers with RAM and BBU, quad port NICs, AGP Pro 50 video cards etc etc all take a lot of power form the slots theyre in.

Yeah I have a P6DGU which is the same as your P6DGS but it has the SCSI Ultra 2 Wide controller instead of the Ultra Wide of the DGS.
That can run without the aux connector just fine when you run with only a couple of expansion cards in it.

Regarding a modern PSU going by that maybe an old PSU would be my best option then, like you say they are much weaker on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails...