VOGONS

Can't install Windows xp

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I worked at a mom&pop in the tail-end 9x / 2k&xp era, and saw enough of this that I very rarely OCed any of my machines (and if I did, it was by some very modest amount, like 33mhz).

I've also seen memory sticks develop 'Patina' on the gold fingers of the SIMMs/DIMMs, that needed cleaning with a white smooth eraser (NEVER, EVER USE PINK. Only non-abrasive white vinyl!).

9x systems throw "Windows Protection Error", (or during setup, "SUWIN" errors) when CPU is extremely overclocked. Error with IRQL_NOT_EQUAL and Error_In_NonPaged_Pool happens a lot with XP/2K, though the former is more often with "A driver is very timing specific, and does not like the CPU being off-spec" and the latter is "The RAM is not working in proper cadence with the CPU's access time interval/RAM has a defect."

But I see I am late to this party. 😀

Reply 22 of 23, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I would check the ram with MemTest first, and if that came out clean, I would then inspect the gold fingers on the dimms to see if they look "bronzed", then clean them if they are.

If it still continued, I would investigate the OC situation, and set it at stock, and see if it goes away.

If it STILL continues, I would get out an endoscope flashlight and look real close at the DIMM sockets.

Reply 23 of 23, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just guess it's ACPI support being wonky on MBs BIOS 😉
So try this :

When you see "Press F6 to install additional storage drivers" text, just hit F7.
Change your system type from ACPI compliant to Standard Computer in the menu that comes up.