VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

So I got an OCZ Gladiator cooler that is still sealed in box to use in my Socket 754 Asus K8V-X. The cooler is compatible with socket 754, but its fan is a 4 pin female header, as opposed to the board's 3 pin male header. I can install it, sure, but it will always run at max speeds as we know. I was very surprised OCZ didn't predict this problem or didn't bother mentioning it in the instruction booklet.

I had the simple idea of using a fan controller to act as a bypass, but my fan controller only has a 3 pin male header as opposed to the fan's 4 pin female. I'm reluctant to cut away the fan's extra pin so it fits, as it's somewhat crude as a solution and I don't know if it would even work.

I have tried to find an adapter, being a 4 pin PWM (male----fan) to 3 pin (female----motherboard) adapter/cable, but I only found this in the States, and being from Europe, something from over here or even China would be way more sympathetic customs wise. I'm having a hard time even finding one like this in AliExpress:

https://www.amazon.com/4Pin-3Pin-Standard-Ada … e/dp/B01H0OZC9W

Left some visual aids to avoid confusion. Could you please point me out towards a solution? Thank you as always for your help and replies

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should fit, it just won't have the PWM pin connected. An adapter wouldn't change that, the 4th pin will be redundant with or without an adapter. The shape of the connector will ensure it fits correctly. You would, as you suggested, need a fan controller to adjust the fan speed, it'll never be automatic on that board.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 6, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2023-08-03, 19:59:

It should fit, it just won't have the PWM pin connected. An adapter wouldn't change that, the 4th pin will be redundant with or without an adapter. The shape of the connector will ensure it fits correctly. You would, as you suggested, need a fan controller to adjust the fan speed, it'll never be automatic on that board.

So do I break the tabs on the Gelid fan controller for example, to fit the 4 pin fan cable in it? Just to be absolutely sure before butchering it, it should work, right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    294.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 6, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
andre_6 wrote on 2023-08-03, 20:22:

So do I break the tabs on the Gelid fan controller for example, to fit the 4 pin fan cable in it? Just to be absolutely sure before butchering it, it should work, right?

You'd have to remove the left side of the male connector to make room for the fan's larger 4 pin connector. The keys on the fan connector are supposed go into the slits.

Reply 4 of 6, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote on 2023-08-03, 20:41:

You'd have to remove the left side of the male connector to make room for the fan's larger 4 pin connector. The keys on the fan connector are supposed go into the slits.

Thanks, I'd just like some assurances that it will work normally with the fan controller, regulating it to normal/quiet levels

Reply 5 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or buy a controller that has 4 pins on the male connector. Or the same connection you showed in the original photo.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 6, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote on 2023-08-03, 20:41:

debs3759 wrote on 2023-08-03, 21:19:

Or buy a controller that has 4 pins on the male connector. Or the same connection you showed in the original photo.

Thanks a lot everyone ended up cutting the controller's left tab, with a sharp cutter and some basic skill it cuts away quite cleanly. It doesn't look bad at all, especially when connected with the fan. I get a "CPU Fan Error press F1 to continue" at boot but Everest reads it fine and I was able to tweak and find the sweet spot between temperature and acoustics.

Now I have one last hurdle regarding noise, my Sapphire Radeon 2600XT's noisy fan. I removed the fan and checked under both sides' stickers, but no bearing is showing. It's tucked away inside both halves I assume? Is there a way to safely open it so I can put an oil drop in there?

Attachments