VOGONS

First post, by retroider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, dear forum!
There is an ES688 Magique Melodie (pic) sound card, mt-32 pi is connected to it. In windows 98 SE, this configuration works fine. In Scummvm mt-32 pi is recognized and midi goes through it flawlessly. In dos games, launched from windows too, the sound card itself works, opl works and there is sound in games, but when I try to select mt-32 or general midi / sound canvas devices through setup, either the game gives out "Unable to load sound driver" or there is simply no midi sound. I experimented with different configs, addresses, and so on, but nothing worked out for me. I ask for your help, I will be very grateful!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 15, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome!

The ES688 requires the TSR "ENMPU.EXE" to be run for MIDI in DOS. You can find it in this package: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1461&menustate=0

Reply 2 of 15, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What settings are you using in the game's sound setup? It looks like that card should be using port 300 for MIDI and if you put jumpers on both CD0 and CD1 connecting them to the Hs below the pin it will change to the more standard port 330.

Reply 3 of 15, by retroider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-08-13, 12:06:

Welcome!

The ES688 requires the TSR "ENMPU.EXE" to be run for MIDI in DOS. You can find it in this package: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1461&menustate=0

Thank you for response!
Sorry, I'm new to Dos and its driver logic
Should I install it, or write it to autoexec or something else?

Reply 4 of 15, by retroider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2023-08-13, 12:13:

What settings are you using in the game's sound setup? It looks like that card should be using port 300 for MIDI and if you put jumpers on both CD0 and CD1 connecting them to the Hs below the pin it will change to the more standard port 330.

I've tried all ports possible (in Doom II precisely), 300 and 330
I've connected CD0 and CD1 to H, and looks like it changed the midi adress to 330, but still no midi sound

Reply 5 of 15, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retroider wrote on 2023-08-13, 13:28:
Thank you for response! Sorry, I'm new to Dos and its driver logic Should I install it, or write it to autoexec or something els […]
Show full quote

Welcome!

Thank you for response!

First try to run ENMPU.EXE directly from DOS prompt before starting the game. Then, if it works for you, you can make an entry into autoexec.bat to start it automatically.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 6 of 15, by retroider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-08-13, 14:03:
retroider wrote on 2023-08-13, 13:28:
Thank you for response! Sorry, I'm new to Dos and its driver logic Should I install it, or write it to autoexec or something els […]
Show full quote

Welcome!

Thank you for response!

First try to run ENMPU.EXE directly from DOS prompt before starting the game. Then, if it works for you, you can make an entry into autoexec.bat to start it automatically.

I've tried to launch enmpu directly, added this to autoexec, but this doesn't change anything
Btw, when it's launched, it shows this:
MPU 401 interface setup driver version 1.0
MPU 401 use Base Address 330H, IRQ 9

Reply 7 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You also need to run SoftMPU for it to communicate correctly with an MT-32

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 15, by retroider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-14, 08:36:

You also need to run SoftMPU for it to communicate correctly with an MT-32

Thank you!
Well, it seems like softmpu is starting, but midi sound didn't appear
I start it with command:
softmpu /sb:220 /irq:7 /mpu:330
Maybe it starts wrong, but message shown after start has corrupted coding

Reply 11 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about adding /OUTPUT:SBMIDI to the end? If it works this way you may actually not need to use ENMPU for SOFTMPU to work, but need it for non-intelligent MPU401 (ie. Roland SC55 etc.)

Reply 12 of 15, by retroider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-15, 10:17:

How about adding /OUTPUT:SBMIDI to the end? If it works this way you may actually not need to use ENMPU for SOFTMPU to work, but need it for non-intelligent MPU401 (ie. Roland SC55 etc.)

I've put this line in the end
Now it's actually shows that SB device at 220 irq7 detected, mpu-401 interruptions disabled and softmpu is active at port 330
But, this did't help 🙁
I've tried many games, with MT-32 and General Midi / Sound Canvas support, but still no midi sound
Maybe there is an easier way, like getting ES186x 😀

Reply 13 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah, ES1688 and up do not require the TSR for the MPU to work, which makes them a lot more compatible with intelligent mode MIDI.. I remember getting this to work somehow on my 386SX but I do not recall exactly how I'm afraid 🙁

Reply 14 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tbh, I've tried wrestling with ESS688 and MPU a few times, both with ENMPU and SOFTMPU. Never managed to get it working - and that was in simple native DOS. Not saying it's impossible (very likely I was missing something fundamental), but you're far from only one with issues. I have a lot of other cards, so gave up and used one with MPU-401 UART native in hardware.

Reply 15 of 15, by retroider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Еhanks everyone for the help! Yestarday I've received my ES1868. After running ESSCFG mt32pi works like a charm, every game recognized it without any problem. Looks like it is definitely a problem to make ES688 works with external devices in DOS.