VOGONS

First post, by BoraxMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having some difficulty with a Sound Blaster 16 card that I have pulled out of storage to test.

It is CT2230, and I have installed it in an ISA slot on a 486 motherboard. It is taking up the same slot that I had an SB Pro 2 card in. The SB Pro 2 card works find.

I installed the drivers for the CT2230, but when running DIAGNOSE.EXE, I unable to get a low DMA channel. I try channel 0, 1 and 3, as well as Auto Scan, but always get the error "The diagnostic utility has detected that none of the available settings can be used". I used DMA 1 on the SB Pro 2 no problem. None of the games seem to be able to use digital sound either, though FM sound works OK.

I also ran snooper, and it reports DMA channels 1 and 5 in use and reports a Sound Blaster at port 220H. The same issue occurred on a newer machine, so it is possible that the card is faulty? There are no jumper settings for DMA channels on this card, so I am at an impasse with what to do.

The CTSB16.SYS driver is also loaded as follows
DEVICE=C:\sb16\drv\ctsb16.sys /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1
and when it loads I get the following error
Error CTSOUND1010: Invalid "/BLASTER=D:x" argument
Oddly, if the D:1 option is changed to D:3 or D:0, I still get the error, but snooper reports the corresponding DMA is in use.

So it seems the low DMA CAN be set, but DIAGNOSE treats it as being in use.

Any help as to where to go from here is appreciated.

Reply 2 of 9, by kp73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies if it's bad form to resurrect an old post - but this has all the details of the same problem I have.

My CT2230 (the whole machine actually) was unused for quite a few years, then this week fired it up and all was well with the sound card. The next day it refused to work at all, then after much twiddling with re-installing and trying different BLASTER= settings I got the OPL to work but no digital sound.

Same errors as above from the driver; Error CTSOUND1010: Invalid "/BLASTER=D:x" argument. And from DIAGNOSE; none of the available settings can be used.

Any advice? Sad that this card seems to have died.

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah the CT2230 is a nuetered CT1741 IMHO with no way to "physically" set the DMA's. Your card could be dead but maybe something on the motherboard is the issue....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it a PCI system? If so, have you reserved the resources you want to use for this card in BIOS for non-PnP devices? Could well be the motherboard letting some PCI (or ISA PnP) device take them. Exactly how to reserve resources depends on your motherboard, but usually it involves selecting the IRQ and DMA and choosing "Legacy/non-PnP" or similar.

Also note that if you're not using UNISOUND, changing the SET BLASTER= setting in AUTOEXEC.BAT doesn't actually configure anything, it just tells games that use the variable where to find the sound card. If the card is not configured and working at those resources, it won't do anything.

Reply 5 of 9, by kp73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, it's a 486 VLB system with no options for resources in the BIOS. It has VLB VGA and a VLB disk controller installed. Swapped the CT2230 with an Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro II 16 temporarily and the Aztech card is working fine in the 486.

I'll try the CT2230 in another machine. The only other ISA ones I have are P200 or K6-2 with PCI.

Reply 6 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VLB only? Then it shouldn't be PnP mess. That Aztech card (MMSN822?) works in exactly the same way as the CT2230 - non-PnP software config and if it can use the resources, the CT2230 should be able to as well. Sounds like something on the card failing.

Reply 7 of 9, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I initially had some issues with an SB16 in my 486. I'd run the diagnose program and it would try to select different resources every time or complain that it couldn't find any. Maybe you need to do a cold, minimal boot (shift+F5) for it to work reliably, I'm not sure. Right now I just have a SET BLASTER in my autoexec.bat, followed by DIAGNOSE /S, and nothing sound-card-related in config.sys.

But also try this program, which seems to be good at detecting a sound card even without any BLASTER variable or drivers loaded. If it works then that should rule out hardware failure.
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Digital_Sound_System

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 8 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2023-08-17, 06:23:

Also note that if you're not using UNISOUND, changing the SET BLASTER= setting in AUTOEXEC.BAT doesn't actually configure anything, it just tells games that use the variable where to find the sound card. If the card is not configured and working at those resources, it won't do anything.

This isn't correct. On the software configured sound blasters, running DIAGNOSE /S uses the BLASTER environment variable to configure the card.