VOGONS

First post, by rpocc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have acquired a handful of SIMM modules which couldn’t be detected by my motherboards. Actually I didn’t tried all of my boards but at least no luck with 82c471-based 486 MB and one very typical Triton-based Pentium MB.

These modules look like the one attached.

94EBDBBF-BCAE-4586-B4F1-2831DF945715.jpeg
Filename
94EBDBBF-BCAE-4586-B4F1-2831DF945715.jpeg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

What have I found so far:

1. It’s 16 MB with standard 4Mx4 chips, one-sided.

2. It has non-standard pinout, very close to ECC 40-bit SIMM described in US patent #5375084 by IBM which has the whole bunch of pins being reassigned

The patent: https://patents.justia.com/patent/5375084

3. Line 71 ins’t connected. Talking specifically it goes to pads of non-populated resistors on both sides, and on the front side the counterpart pad goes to A11 of each chip, whereas on the back side it goes to a data pin on one chip.

3. I’m not sure if it was 10-chip but all 7 identical modules I have are equipped only with 9 chips. According to absent C9 it seems to be legit.

4. Lines 41-42 are connected to address lines A10-A11 (instead of CAS2 and 3) and not directly but through 33-Ohm resistors.

5. Line 44 (RAS0) is shared between all chips whereas RAS2 is completely disconnected and doesn’t even has vias. It is not very usual configuration by the way as well as CAS0 shared between all 8 modules.

6. The module has markings:
27804-60
AO 13655
120244 Rev. A Southland
Datecode: 1195 USA

What do you think, what kind of MB or equipment these modules are supposed to be used for? Apple, IBM, Sun, disk cache controllers? I’m out of ideas and can’t find any reference on the internet.

Reply 1 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well, its entirely possible its for the IBM series.

it seems you are handy with a multi meter. I would ring out the SPD pins at the far end of the simm. if it matches with the table at the bottom of this site: https://www.ardent-tool.com/memory/Reference.html then its a very good chance its for IBM machines. If not... it could be for IBM, but quite a few printers had memory upgrades that used 72 pin simms. 16mb would be HIGHLY unlikely.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually this fits with what I see with these incompatible 4MB SIMMs made by IBM I have were actually made for late models PS/2 that uses 4MB simms including 90 XP. Which was confirmed by looking into IBM parts catalog to find out what PS/2 uses them.

Chips array used on it is also unusual. 9 x 4 bits chips for 36 bits all identical, that's parity simms.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

9 chips just means its parity. the space for a 10th just SCREAMS ECC ram which was pretty much exclusive to the 859x ibm machines. or other similar machines

Reply 5 of 10, by rpocc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2023-09-16, 22:33:

well, its entirely possible its for the IBM series.

it seems you are handy with a multi meter. I would ring out the SPD pins at the far end of the simm. if it matches with the table at the bottom of this site: https://www.ardent-tool.com/memory/Reference.html then its a very good chance its for IBM machines. If not... it could be for IBM, but quite a few printers had memory upgrades that used 72 pin simms. 16mb would be HIGHLY unlikely.

I've tested the complete pinout of these modules and can confirm that module schematic is 100% compatible with ECC SIMM described in the table II here:
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/6 … 6/US5375084.pdf

However:
Line 11 (PD5) is connected to two non-populated resistors which can connect it with A10 or GND
U9 (the 10th DRAM chip) is not populated, so lines 64-66 and 71 are N. C. but for some reason, there is non-populated resistor which could connect line 71 with A11 (???)
PD lines are correct for 16< 60ns module (e.g. 67 is tied to GND)

So, it looks like a Frankenstein 36-bit ECC. And you think, PS/2 is the only type of computer which can utilize it?

Reply 6 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i'm 95% confident it is for the IBM series. probably only for the 90, 95, or pc server 500 models.

Did you want to let them go? ^.^

Reply 7 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ECC is not 36 bits, that's parity for consumer computers most of time that is industry standards that sticks to if the four CAS lines are all different, each of CAS line connects to 8 or 9 bits wide sub-banks. The required bits for ECC to function to correct is 7 bit extra on top of 32bits. I have seen 39 bits ECC and 40bits modules as well as it is completely different pinout in 72 pin form factor.

Also the specs pinout for 72 pins SIMMs does indicates the required pins used for ECC are not the ones for parity.

Specially designed SIMMs with 36 bits like this you have is usually paired or quad SIMM as a bank for ECC function to work and this is only found on special machines only have one CAS or two tied to all the identical ICs.

True ECC simms pinout is in this link. Two CAS lines.
http://www.interfacebus.com/Memory_Module_72P … IMM_PinOut.html

Link is this is consumer parity simm. Does not match your either. This requires 4 sub banks of 8 or 9 bits each each one CAS line. Like this is each CAS line is tied to 8 bit data either with or without parity bit. Or a special quad CAS IC on one die. What it looks like for each CAS line is SIMM with identical 4 bit by 8 chips or 9th chip not identical to rest as it is now 1 bit for parity. Another is 3 chip, with 2 is identical IC and one IC with 4 cas single IC.
http://www.interfacebus.com/Memory_Modules_72 … IMM_PinOut.html

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 8 of 10, by rpocc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2023-09-18, 18:17:

i'm 95% confident it is for the IBM series. probably only for the 90, 95, or pc server 500 models.

Did you want to let them go? ^.^

Currently I just have to decide what to do next with them. Having no access to these specific machines I can't find out if modules are actually working so couldn't sell them for a reasonable price. On the other hand, it's 63x 4Mx4 60ns chips perfect for brewing DIY modules for 386 machines.

Reply 10 of 10, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IBM PS/2 SIMMs work in allmost any other Motherboard, as they are just ordinary SIMMs with parity andpresence detect.
Even the ECC SIMMs that can be easily recognized by the presence of the two square chips visible as EOS Simms at
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/72-pin_SIMM wor in othe machines.
The 40 Bit ECC are usually from RS/6000 Series 7012 , 7013 and 7015 where 8 of these sit on a memory board with some logic circuitry.
Other proprietary SIMMs can originate from HP 9000 series.
Even between different series of machines different SIMMs are used.
Modules from an E45 did not work in a 712, 715, B- or C-Class HP 9000.
These can sometimes be recognized by manufacturer part Nos, but third party modules for these machines are difficult to recognize.