VOGONS

First post, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi , have 2 case front panels but at shipment both destroyed . so i attached pictures at 1 first picture there is a crack as you can see what is the best way fix it?

and second picture there is no button on front panel can i put at power button on it ? thanks for answers.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The coloration will show it terribly, but JB PlasticWeld will mend the crack. Apply a good quality plastic (NOT CLEAR SCOTCH!! NOT CLEAR STRAPPING TAPE!I mean ACTUAL quality vinyl plastic tape!!) tape on the outer surface and squish the mix into the crack from the back side, then spudge smooth. Let sit overnight. Peel the tape after 24hr.

Similar can be accomplished with the plastic posts, but they will always be fragile afterward.

Reply 3 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ABS, which is very common as a case plastic, but check for symbols on reverse, can be chemically welded with MEK and acetone, although the MEK works better. One can make a putty by dissolving ABS into MEK and use that for repair, in theory making it one with the original plastic.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 10, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bit "ghetto", but slightly melting the plastic along the crack line with an soldering iron is something I usually try.
Only did this on slightly cracked Xbox 360 faceplates though. No idea if it works on PC front panels.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 5 of 10, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rain wrote on 2023-09-28, 13:35:

hi , have 2 case front panels but at shipment both destroyed . so i attached pictures at 1 first picture there is a crack as you can see what is the best way fix it?

and second picture there is no button on front panel can i put at power button on it ? thanks for answers.

Hi rain,

I have a switch that will fit that. If you're located in the US, I can mail it to you.

Reply 6 of 10, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Brickpad wrote on 2023-09-28, 18:00:
rain wrote on 2023-09-28, 13:35:

Hi rain,

I have a switch that will fit that. If you're located in the US, I can mail it to you.

Thank you so much but im not in usa

Reply 7 of 10, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I second the recommendation to use Acetone or MEK on case plastics. It effectively dissolves the plastics together and can form a pretty solid bond.

I've used Acetone in combination with Epoxy resin filler to repair cracked and chipped cases. I then airbrush over the results to blend the repair section with the color of the plastic.

Below is an example of doing some of these repairs on an Epson Equity III+ case that had really fragile struts on the front case panel. I even filled in the struts between the drives bays with epoxy to add physical strength and keep them from further cracking.

Epson Equity III+ plastic repair 01.jpg
Filename
Epson Equity III+ plastic repair 01.jpg
File size
366.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Epson Equity III+ plastic repair 02.jpg
Filename
Epson Equity III+ plastic repair 02.jpg
File size
321.69 KiB
Views
File license
Epson Equity III+ plastic repair 03.jpg
Filename
Epson Equity III+ plastic repair 03.jpg
File size
446.21 KiB
Views
File license
Epson Equity III+ plastic repair 04.jpg
Filename
Epson Equity III+ plastic repair 04.jpg
File size
417.48 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 10, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-09-28, 15:21:

ABS, which is very common as a case plastic, but check for symbols on reverse, can be chemically welded with MEK and acetone, although the MEK works better. One can make a putty by dissolving ABS into MEK and use that for repair, in theory making it one with the original plastic.

Works well with ABS, I have some late 90's beige cases that are not ABS. For plastic filler I have dissolved old Lego blocks to make a slurry to color match and fill. Natural ABS comes really close to some beige front covers but not all the time which is why I tend to use different color Lego blocks to color match.

Reply 9 of 10, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I usually use cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) and sprinkle baking soda on it to glue plastics. You can do it several times to get it very strong. Not sure how it would work in this case though, that one crack is nasty.