VOGONS

First post, by jdredd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, came across a few posts about adding extra ISA slots. Problem I had was links where dead in most of if not all of them.

I have an IBM Model 30 - 8086, that I would love to add a few for more slots. Mostly for things that don't need access outside of the case.

Such as the LoTech EMS card , CF-Lite card and CH375 USB>ISA card, since I use the USB header to run to the front of the system to a USB panel jack.

Then i'd have 3 slots for VGA, Sound and Network that need access to the outside world. I have a Xircom LPT adapter for network right now, but like to go to a real card.

At first thought it would be fun to say, have ISA headers soldered to back side of the riser card. But just can't just do that exactly as now the back side is upside down then when card goes in.

Would have to flip top to bottom and bottom to top, to get orientation correct. Soldering 186 wires isn't that fun to do.

First a few things

1) how dumb is this to even think of?

2) Any existing things that could be used today? with active links?

3) Could one of the doofy Book8088 / Hand386 boards be used? It has A 60 pin header vs 62 pin 8 Bit ISA... Assume maybe just dumped 1 set of ground pins or something?
Then could maybe use extension wire from that board, to an ISA slot header with pins sticking out?

4) Outsource to someone that knows what they are actually doing with KiCad and such tools, and make a whole new Riser slot card for the Model 30? Where it has 6 slots? 3 on front 3 on back. ....

5) Some already nice existing external case setup that is nice and pretty and ready to go for whatever it costs with extension cable between it and system, and external power supply?

And yes I know would have to come up with something to help keep cards from drooping and all that... but thats probably where once said and done, 3d printer to the rescue to make a holding bracket of some sort,
once measurements could be made.

Attached is picture showing what I am talking about.. The case design has a nice area in front of the card to leave breathing room.

Sorry for the wiring mess under the card... I just gutted a 2003 Dell ATX Power supply into the original power case with AT conversion... and converter laying down there for -5v output... Need to clean it up more.
But hey it works and no fires yet! 😀

I would myself love to vote #4 ... and get someone to design a real drop in card solution... as this could even have a nice coin battery setup too.

Attachments

Last edited by jdredd on 2023-12-28, 16:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by jdredd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
giantclam wrote on 2023-10-01, 02:13:

That is one of the posts I read. In the later pages, some good info it seems on some mostly pre-made stuff but links where dead.

The ISA slot extension and cable parts, I think would get me starter? 16bit ISA, but I can leave that side un populated I'd assume without any issues.

Maybe then all I need is a four port back plane that could used? Top ISA slot from the riser... ribbon cable over top, to a 4 slot back plane mounted to back side of the riser card in some fashion?

Any leads on 4 slot ISA back plane that isn't overly gigantic?

Reply 5 of 5, by jdredd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I was to dumb for this myself, but luckly smarter people exist 😀

Worked with Peter Basset and he was able to quickly pump this out!

So now I run this and his PS2XT2SD in my Model 30 - 8086 and both are working great.

Hopefully he will have these "3+1" risers for sale soon.

Attachments