VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I posted back in March of this year about my Juko Nest N3 NEC V30 10MHz build that I acquired:

Re: Juko Nest N3 XT system w/NEC V30 Acquisition/Build

Some of my benchmarks came up a bit short against the legendary Anonymous Coward's "V'ger XT. I wanted to get to the bottom of what made my system slightly slower and I think I finally have those answers. All of my benchmarks now equal or exceed that system. What has changed in the last 7 months? Changing the video card to a Diamond Speedstar ET4000, a bit more testing and some key software tweaks. I had erroneously assumed the system was already running at zero wait states reading from the wait state configuration register at port 70H which always came back as zero. I came to find out that the register is write only. It was only after trying different values that I actually was able to tweak the system to the point it made a real difference. It turns out the memory is at zero wait states, but the ISA bus is set to 3 wait states in the default configuration. I was able to get the ISA bus to 1 wait state and this made a big difference as the benchmarks will show. The 2nd thing was tweaking the memory refresh rate. I now use a value of 500us which is stable and results in measurable increase in overall system performance.

I decided to move this motherboard from a tower to desktop computer case. I really think XT class systems belong in desktop case. This of course did not change the performance, but I now think it has the proper ascetic look. Here is a picture of the new case.

Last edited by jasa1063 on 2023-10-22, 03:40. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Norton SI 4.5 & 6.01 results:

Last edited by jasa1063 on 2023-10-22, 02:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Topbench 0.40b results - My Topbench score is now 16!

Reply 3 of 11, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CheckIt 3.0 results:

Last edited by jasa1063 on 2023-10-22, 02:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3DBench 1.0 results - I managed to bump up the score 2.3 FPS!

Reply 5 of 11, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCTools SI 8.0 results

Reply 6 of 11, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3Quarterdeck Manifest 1.13 results - The EMS memory results went up a good amount

Reply 7 of 11, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Landmark 2.0 & 6.0 results - I still had to start Landmark 6.0 at 4.77MHz to get it to start without freezing then kick it back up to 10MHz

Last edited by jasa1063 on 2023-10-22, 03:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 8 of 11, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Core Test 3.03 - The is the biggest jump. I now almost get 1MBs throughput on the XTIDE Compact Flash adapter!

Reply 9 of 11, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I think this brings this computer's journey to an end. I am really happy with the results. I just goes to show you just need to keep at something until your brain can think it through!

Reply 10 of 11, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am also uploading the set of tweaking utilities I used. DRAM simply sets the memory refresh period. In my case I use DRAM 500 for a 500us memory refresh period. Also included are 3 small utilities created with debug for tweaking the wait state configuration register at port 70H. WS0 tries to set everything to zero wait states, but completely locks up my computer. I am only including it for testing purposes in case anyone else has better luck. WS1 sets the the ISA bus to 1 wait state and RAM & ROM to zero wait states. This is what I use for when I boot the system. WS3 is simply the default state as if no tweaks were applied. I figured this out during my testing. Please note the 3 wait state utilities should just be used with a Juko Nest N3. I also have a Juko ST motherboard and while that uses port 70H, just like the Nest N3, they are slightly different in my experience.