VOGONS

First post, by revrendzack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought a mystery pc online for 30 bucks, seller throught it was dead since it powered on but no post. Ended up just being the Powersupply. Got everything parted out except this damn motherboard. It's a slot 1 board, intel440 chipset. Was hoping I could get the collective brain power of the internet to hopefully help identify it. Intel 440 chipset drivers installed fine and the board runs like new. Just curiosity and hopefully some info for other folks.
I have found one other using image search listed on ebay from a Chinese seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165859720937?_trkpar … %3Avlp_homepage

Currently running win98 on it.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks curiously sparse plus the barcode sticker = some OEM system board. Actually thinking some more no serious OEM would use such sparse board, it doesnt even have onboard 3.3V IO/ram regulator, must be some extreme low end.
edit: MatsonicMicronics, extreme low end https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/bcm-qs440bx

Last edited by rasz_pl on 2023-10-24, 04:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BCM has no connection to Matsonic, however, as TRW lists it as well, Diamond Multimedia had sold BCM's board under their name.

Not bad at all, considering I see genuine Nichicons and Rubycon caps on it.

Had it been a Matsonic, the OEM would have been ECS, or in some cases, Chaintech (look at the CT-6BTA2).

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 8, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-10-23, 18:25:

edit: Matsonic, extreme low end https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/bcm-qs440bx

Interesting extreme declarative definition. Could you explain in more detail "extreme low end"?

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 5 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, its Micronics not Matsonic, I cant read 😒
Matsonic was bottom of the barrel barely works vendor, often selling same renamed Amptron/PCChips dreg. ECS absorbed all of this garbage in 2005 to bulk up its manufacturing capacity.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 8, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-10-24, 04:36:

Sorry, its Micronics not Matsonic, I cant read 😒
Matsonic was bottom of the barrel barely works vendor, often selling same renamed Amptron/PCChips dreg. ECS absorbed all of this garbage in 2005 to bulk up its manufacturing capacity.

For example I've two very old, not expensive, but still perfectly fine and working PCChips (later ECS/Elitegroup) boards with no fake cache chips. I can not say they're low end as they used gold plated connectors and their capacitors are more than OK near 30 years later. Yeah, back in the time the support for these boards was not so good, but at least there were some BIOS updates releases through three to four years. And of course this doesn't mean that this brand wasn't produced absolutely bad motherboards - we all know about their fake cache chips mobos (except I never seen one in person).

But I also have some not cheap, but low quality production mobos (bulged, leaky cheap chinese caps, cheap components, etc.) from "better" and "respected" brands like Gigabyte, Asus, Quanta, etc. They also have very limited support of only two or three years of BIOS updates. Of course Asus and Gigabyte made and still make boards of high quality, but this doesn't mean that all of their production is lacking low-end quality sh*ts.

This unknown (BCM/GVC/whatever ???) board here looks OK (no visible bulged or leaky caps) and I saw on the link to theretroweb site that there're BIOS updates from four calendar years ('98-2001).

So, there's absolutely no reason for these cliches kinda "oh, this is AsRock motherboard, so it rocks... yay, this is PCChips/ECS it's just cheap piece of sh*t". This is always motherboard specific and more expensive doesn't always mean high quality.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 7 of 8, by revrendzack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That board linked by rasz_pl looks really close, diffrent capacitor layout there near the socket. Thanks for taking a look around. Board post and has ISA and AGP slots that work so I'm happy, it's just a gonna be a lil hobby win98 machine for dos and some older DX titles that I wanted to run on the bare metal and not waste power with a VM on my server.

Reply 8 of 8, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably won't give any more information that you've already got, but if you can make a note of the BIOS string when the machine boots then you might be able to look up a manufacturer code: https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/mobo_ident.php