VOGONS

First post, by gras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there

From searching, I know there are a few people here with a GA-686BX motherboard. My board has a behavior in off-mode that I don't understand, maybe some of you can shed some light on it.

When I power off the machine, the HDD-LED indicator of the case is constantly lit. Once powered on, the HDD LED indicator works normally. I tried inverting the connector, but that just resulting the the LED not reacting. Power LED works as expected. I can also feel by touch that the PSU generates a bit of heat, so some current is running through
- What can cause this? I haven't found any BIOS config to change this, but maybe I'm skipping the obvious choice, so let me hear what your experiences are.

Other interesting information.

• I'm using a modern case with LED fans connected via Molex, so they light up the interior so I can see it through the window on the side. When I used a 350W PSU instead of the current 300W, the lights on the fans were dimly lit, when the PC was in Power off state.
  • I had everything setup (see below) with an OEM Fujitsu motherboard and the HDD LED was off during power off, and there was no discerable heat from the PSU. However, I like the GA-686BX better, because it's not OEM and because I can have a free slot between my two ISA sound cards.
  • This is my second GA-686BX, the first one was short circuited by a faulty PSU during power off.

All of this suggests to me, that what I'm experiencing (the HDD LED, the heat, the dim light on the LED fans, the short circuit of my first GA-686BX and the absense of problems with the Fujitsu OEM board), that there is some generic power issue with the GA-686BX OR a misconfiguration in the BIOS, that I'm not aware of. Hence my question here. What can it be, and how can I fix it?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Setup:
Latest BIOS - version F2a from https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-686BX … support-dl-bios
300W ATX PSU
500MHz PIII 100MHz FSB
AGP Riva TnT2 AGP graphics Card
PCI Voodoo2 graphics card
PCI Ethernet card (ASUS) with WOL connection cable
ISA Soundblaster SB32
ISA Gravis Ultrasound PnP
IDE Harddisk
IDE DVD RW