VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

we know that k5's clock didn't scale well and were released at 133mhz(pr200) most, which are quite rare and difficult to obtain. can anyone tell me whether the 117mhz(pr166) can run stable at 133, and up to 150?

Reply 2 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not very well and they do need very good cooling for any overclocking at all, will need a board that can handle the cpu well. Use a copper cooler or find a modern cooler that can be modded to mount. As for the compound don't use the cheap stuff, overall limit for most is around 120 mhz and often less. With aggressive cooling and a bump on the volts you could do 120mhz stable and might post at 125 to 133mhz.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The K5 tends to be near its limit at whatever bin AMD labeled it with. 133 MHz is probably near the limit of the architecture considering how the 133 MHz PR200 was barely released. I do have a PR200 and IIRC mine gets unstable at around +10 MHz.

If you cooled one with liquid nitrogen it might go faster thanks to the laws of semiconductor physics. 😉

Reply 4 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The fastest I was able to get a K5-PR166 to run stable at is 120 MHz. This is a whole 3.5 MHz faster than rated. I was able to run the majority of the 686 benchmarks at 125 MHz, but some of the more demanding ones would not complete.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Strange that even at .35 micron they couldn't get it to run faster.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've overclocked my K5-PR166 to 120mhz. It had no problems with the benchmarks I ran. Have not tested it further, but I'll give it a try. I have two chips of this rating, so I*ll test both 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 10, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

oh god, i wished that they would at least run at 83*1.5=125. 😢
and they are rated at 3.5volts, which is the maximum for most boards already, so how can there be any possibility of overvoltaging?

Reply 8 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K5 isn't a good overclocker. They ran it to it's limits which was one of the reasons why they desperately needed a sixth generation part to replace it and bought out Nexgen. Nexgen's 686 part was further along in development than AMD's. It would have been another 2 years before AMD's own 686 hit the market and by then Intel would have moved on.

Reply 9 of 10, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noshutdown wrote on 2014-06-04, 00:56:

oh god, i wished that they would at least run at 83*1.5=125. 😢
and they are rated at 3.5volts, which is the maximum for most boards already, so how can there be any possibility of overvoltaging?

My old PCCHIPS m571 had undocumented voltages above 3.5 volts

The k5-pr133 I had could overclock to 120mhz at 4ish volts

Reply 10 of 10, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm mm, reading this all I started to appreciate my pr166 that apparently runs at 133mhz even more. True though that I've never tried it outside DOS. It may or may not be fully stable... And I haven't tried it over 133mhz either.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts