VOGONS

First post, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So my first post here and it's admittedly super silly. I'm looking to build a PC that can run Win98 without much hassle, and I want to put a fancy GFX card in it for super high 3dMarks (like GeForce 4 Ti 4600 or Radeon X850).

The catch: I'm a huge sucker for nostalgia and the PC I had as a kid - had this boot screen: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2 … irst_screen.png .

So I want my build to have a PC with a BIOS that gives that kind of boot screen (maybe with minor variations but the chief feature still remains that the energy star logo should be in the top right). It sounds ultra stupid but it is what it is 😁

I'd be very very grateful if I could get some help on what components (mainly which motherboard) to choose. Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 18, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Everybody has that specific thing that they're nostalgic for, so I wont kink-shame you. 😀

Everything I'm gonna say is just my own experience and I'm by no means an expert, but you should be in luck because I think most of the motherboards from that era(Pentium 3-ish) will have a boot screen that looks like that. I couldn't give you a definitive list, but I'm pretty sure that the Gigabyte and Asus boards I have from that time all look like that.

Again, I can't say for certain, but I think the boards to watch out for would most likely be the custom ones from pre-built systems. They tend to show the company logo instead. At least, that's what I've seen.

Reply 2 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello and welcome!

Can't give you a full list of them either, but the Award BIOS is quite common with Socket 7, Slot 1 and Socket 370 motherboards. You will preferably want one that is from the Coppermine/Tualatin (Pentium III) era that has the AGP slot for such cards.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 18, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-11-17, 19:51:

Hello and welcome!

Can't give you a full list of them either, but the Award BIOS is quite common with Socket 7, Slot 1 and Socket 370 motherboards. You will preferably want one that is from the Coppermine/Tualatin (Pentium III) era that has the AGP slot for such cards.

Thanks! But then will those kind of motherboards support putting Core2Duo or high-end (for Win98 era) processors along with high-end GPUs like X850?

Reply 4 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xtreger wrote on 2023-11-17, 20:09:

Thanks! But then will those kind of motherboards support putting Core2Duo or high-end (for Win98 era) processors along with high-end GPUs like X850?

I'm not aware of any LGA775 motherboard with the Award BIOS that displays the Energy Star logo during POST.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 18, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xtreger wrote on 2023-11-17, 20:09:

Hello and welcome!

Microsoft banned textual POST screens in the PC 98 guide for the "Designed for Windows" logo requirements. https://tams.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/lehre/ … e/docs/pc98.pdf see PDF pages 52-53. So--at least by default--they start to disappear from prebuilts soon after.

However, there were definitely some Pentium 4 boards that still used Award v6.00 and used that screen and might be suitable for those video cards. AOpen comes to mind. I also remember having an Acer Pentium D system where the graphical POST could be disabled, reverting it to the Award Energy Star screen.

Be aware that beyond the Socket 7/Socket 370 era, they start omitting the memory count and floppy test, so the screen flashes by so quickly you might not be able to appreciate it.

Reply 6 of 18, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello and welcome!

Socket 478 too. I don't remember if it had the exact screen with the Energy Star logo, but I had an Abit IS7 that had Award BIOS. My AM2 Biostar K8M800 board (for my so far unsuccessful Win98 project) also has Award BIOS.

My sense is that a lot of the Taiwanese guys started to switch to AMI maybe... around the early C2D era? But otherwise, Award was the most likely BIOS on a Taiwanese retail board.

Reply 7 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-17, 22:54:

My sense is that a lot of the Taiwanese guys started to switch to AMI maybe... around the early C2D era? But otherwise, Award was the most likely BIOS on a Taiwanese retail board.

The switch appears to have happened around the Socket 478 platform. I used to have an ASRock P4i65G motherboard which came with AMI BIOS.

Reply 8 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually... the switch was finally done for good around 1156/1155. I have had early 1155 boards (Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 rev1) that had the classic Phoenix-AwardBIOS.
It was only by around 3rd or 4th gen they finally switched into UEFI AMIBIOS (IIRC AMI is the only to make UEFI BIOS (if you don't count Insyde on laptops, I guess?) for mainboards.)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 9 of 18, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2023-11-18, 00:08:

Actually... the switch was finally done for good around 1156/1155. I have had early 1155 boards (Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 rev1) that had the classic Phoenix-AwardBIOS.
It was only by around 3rd or 4th gen they finally switched into UEFI AMIBIOS (IIRC AMI is the only to make UEFI BIOS (if you don't count Insyde on laptops, I guess?) for mainboards.)

So Gigabyte stuck with Award longer than, say, Asus? I've had... at least three... Asus C2D/C2Q LGA775 boards and I'm pretty sure they were all AMI.

I wonder what MSI or DFI used. Never had a board from either.

And actually... that may explain why I bought Asus over Gigabyte back then. Didn't want Award BIOS if I could at all avoid it.

Reply 10 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 in the 90's and early 200's many of my friends wanted the Award bios not the AMI, back then the AMI lacked features that Award included.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 18, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh! So this Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 has that boot screen I want. And will it run Win98 to your knowledge?

Reply 12 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xtreger wrote on 2023-11-18, 05:29:

Oh! So this Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 has that boot screen I want. And will it run Win98 to your knowledge?

Possibly, though I haven't tested that.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 13 of 18, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a Sandy Bridge board. If you said you wanted Win98 without too much hassle, that's probably... about ten years too new.

Reply 14 of 18, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-18, 12:00:

That's a Sandy Bridge board. If you said you wanted Win98 without too much hassle, that's probably... about ten years too new.

Aiii.. so the search continues. Everyone has been very helpful, but I'm afraid a beginner like me can't make sense of something like "socket so and so motherboard will have Award BIOS". Since it's tough for me to know which have Win98 compatibility. If you know any specific examples, could you help me out? Pliss

Reply 15 of 18, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xtreger wrote on 2023-11-18, 15:49:

Aiii.. so the search continues. Everyone has been very helpful, but I'm afraid a beginner like me can't make sense of something like "socket so and so motherboard will have Award BIOS". Since it's tough for me to know which have Win98 compatibility. If you know any specific examples, could you help me out? Pliss

Here is how I think you should approach the problem:
1. Pick a platform. Socket 478, Socket A/462, Socket 754 are probably the simplest for a late 98 machine. Add socket 370 or even Slot 1 if you wanted to go a bit older on the Intel side. LGA775 is trickier - the i865 boards with good processor support are now rare/expensive, the other chipsets throw you into PCI-E/SATA/DDR2 land. And the newer you go, the fewer Award BIOSes and the more work will be required to get 98SE running happily.

2. Pick a chipset. Some chipsets are going to be more problematic than others, e.g. I think Via is preferable to nForce for Windows 98. Others may correct me on that one.

3. Once you've got a platform/chipset in mind, look for motherboards you can actually buy with that combination (remember, we're talking things that were made 18-23 years ago - supply is going to be spotty, not to mention a lot of socket 462 boards in particular would have fallen victim to bad caps 15 years ago and been e-wasted), then (assuming the manufacturer is still around, e.g. MSI/Asus/Gigabyte) download their manuals and take a look. You can tell very quickly from the manual if it has an Award or AMI BIOS; the manual may even have a photo of the exact startup screen if you want to confirm it has the energy star logo (I suspect all Award BIOSes do... but... that might be wrong). You can also tell quite quickly from the manual and the downloads section of the manufacturer web site whether it is officially supported for 98SE or not.

(Also, before you buy anything, confirm you can get a compatible processor you like and a heat sink fan for the processor. Socket 478 or even LGA775 HSFs are not plentiful at the local computer store anymore...)

Reply 16 of 18, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xtreger wrote on 2023-11-18, 15:49:

If you can't find anything, I have an AX4SG-UN board and P4HT 2.6GHz board you can have for the cost of shipping if you're in the US.

Reply 17 of 18, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One more super noob question - if a motherboard has AMI bios, is it possible to change it to award bios with the energy star thing? Can I overwrite the BIOS with another? I tried googling for this, but didn't find a direct answer (or I am bad at googling).

Reply 18 of 18, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xtreger wrote on 2023-12-13, 10:11:

One more super noob question - if a motherboard has AMI bios, is it possible to change it to award bios with the energy star thing? Can I overwrite the BIOS with another? I tried googling for this, but didn't find a direct answer (or I am bad at googling).

Not really, unless you are some super-duper mad genius. Award/AMI provide BIOSes that are heavily customized by motherboard manufacturers, so... if your motherboard manufacturer's engineers didn't customize an Award BIOS for that motherboard, I think you would struggle to get an Award BIOS running on it.