VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like most of you I have a few stackable containers full of miscellaneous RCA/power/parallel/serial cables.

It's a perpetual nightmare trying to find the cable I want and then having to untangle it from the rat's nest of tangles and hanging connectors.

I started using some medium mesh bags with drawstrings from Amazon to separate cables by type/purpose. it takes no more space inside the container than the cables themselves, and keeps the tangling down to a minimum. It also makes sorting through your cables much easier, since you can pick up a bag and instantly see "This serial cables, this is RCA cables, these are VGA cables". The bags themselves are quite inexpensive and come in a variety of sizes.

cables.jpg
Filename
cables.jpg
File size
215.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally, I just use rip-ties for cables. Not need to untangle anything. Fast and efficient.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2023-12-15, 16:03. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 8, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ladies and gentlenerds... let me blow your minds...

Toilet paper rolls...

2023-12-15 17.20.16.jpg
Filename
2023-12-15 17.20.16.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

You could even write on them...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 5 of 8, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-12-15, 15:59:

Don't seem to be particularly efficient either for storage room or time.

Seems fine to me. Same cables seem to take up the same space, and it definitely beats sorting through the entire box looking for that ONE 12v plug. I can just grab the 12v bag and they're all right there!

Reply 6 of 8, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-12-15, 16:22:
Ladies and gentlenerds... let me blow your minds... […]
Show full quote

Ladies and gentlenerds... let me blow your minds...

Toilet paper rolls...

2023-12-15 17.20.16.jpg

You could even write on them...

Around here all the TP rolls are dog chewtoys. I tried this ages ago but they kept slipping off so I'd have a loose cable and a loose roll...

Reply 7 of 8, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish my cable groupings would fit in a poly bag 🤣

I have large tubs dedicated to cable type. USB, Serial, Network, Ribbon, SATA, Power, etc.

But I'm a bit of a hoarder. I cut the cables off anything that goes in the trash heap.

Reply 8 of 8, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use cable ties. Cheapest solution I could find. Never have a problem finding what I need.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.