VOGONS

First post, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope this is retro enough for here.

My Asus Maximus VIII Hero is giving me an error message via the onboard audio, saying "Line Failure". I can't find anything in a Google search to tell me what it means. The message is spoken by the UEFI, and is the same in Windows 10 (even with sound muted), Windows PE (for my backup software) and in the UEFI itself. I'm assuming it means something on the board is dying. It was only overclocked briefly when new, 15 years ago, and has only had 10 years use over the 15 years I've owned it. It's my newest motherboard, so it would be good if I can find and fix the problem before it becomes fatal.

Does anybody know what this error means?

I've bought a can of compressed air (actually, it's probable butane or propane) tonight, which I hope arrives before Christmas, in case it's caused by dust shorting something (possible, as I keep the side off the case to help keep it cool)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 1 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm first: If I had to guess that error means the audio line-in see's a fault.
that board is newer than you think. Earliest mention is 2015 making it about 8 years old, if based on the Intel z170 chipset....
Is this the board: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus … ro-alpha-model/
second: do not know of any canned air "for blowing dust" that is mostly butane or propane...
third: As for retro enough probably not but still a good question 😀
added: my newest mobo is a Asrock z370 pro4 and not buying anything newer (it serves it's purpose well)

Last edited by Horun on 2023-12-18, 03:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, my memory is worse than I thought if it's that new 😀

I'll have to figure out how to stop it checking the line in if it could be that, as I never use it. Annoying when I get the message a few times an hour 😀

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That board is very similar. Mine doesn't have "Alpha" in the name, and appears that it's no longer on their site

Reply 4 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

May be relevant is that most line in's want a 1K ohm minimum device. Some want a 10k ohm. If you are not using the Line input it could be just static, in bios if possible turn it 0ff.
If you have a mic or other plugged in it might have a cable issue. just a thought..

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2023-12-18, 03:50:

May be relevant is that most line in's want a 1K ohm minimum device. Some want a 10k ohm. If you are not using the Line input it could be just static, in bios if possible turn it 0ff.
If you have a mic or other plugged in it might have a cable issue. just a thought..

The only audio-in I have is my USB webcam.

Unexpectedly, I disabled the onboard HD audio to see if that would fix it, and ended up with no video! Monitor detected a signal, but displayed nothing. Had to reset the cmos settings then reload the cmos settings after a successful reboot. So using a dedicated audio card looks like it won't be an option.

Reply 7 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
giantclam wrote on 2023-12-18, 04:07:

It checks VRM startup -- 'Line Failure' might be construed as a 12v power line failure ; can be turned off in bios

Thanks. I'll try that.

Reply 8 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2023-12-18, 04:17:
giantclam wrote on 2023-12-18, 04:07:

It checks VRM startup -- 'Line Failure' might be construed as a 12v power line failure ; can be turned off in bios

Thanks. I'll try that.

I took a look in the BIOS, but couldn't find that option. I'll have another look tomorrow with a fresh head, if I manage to beat the insomnia 😀

Reply 9 of 12, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2023-12-18, 04:45:

I took a look in the BIOS, but couldn't find that option. I'll have another look tomorrow with a fresh head, if I manage to beat the insomnia 😀

I found it in the user manual (funny that =) ...it's in section 3.1 under ROG extensions iirc ... just load up the .pdf and search for VRM start ....

Reply 10 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the version of the manual that I have, it's under section 3.5, page 3-15, under External DIGI+ Power Control. First entry is VRM Initialisation Check. Not available in the latest BIOS, which is what I have.

Reply 11 of 12, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Makes sense ~ hopefully someone on the asus forum will answer your question...ie; what does 'Line Fault' actually pertain to? When I see 'line fault' I think mains AC, not audio =) Anecdotal ~ this asrock ab350m used to throw a similar type of warning, but it was worded better...ie; 'an instability in power supply line has been detected' ; option to go into bios, or ignore and keep booting ...choosing the latter, machine ran fine ; eventually when I re-cased the mobo and fitted a new power supply, the error went away <shrug>...

Reply 12 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I posted the same question on the ROG forums. It's not very active over there for boards this old, but hopefully someone will have an answer.