VOGONS

First post, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And now for something completely different...

A friend gave me his old Logitech Wingman Formula (the first one, black wheel, no FFB, gameport version) and I was of course happy to give it a good home.

Tried on two different Win98 machines (that both work with another Logitech wheel I own), installed Logitech Gaming Software 4.60, device is detected just fine, wheel works as expected as well as all buttons...but both pedals stay desesperately dead.

Dismantled the pedals box, nothing too fancy, one potentiometer for each pedal that (I suppose) are connected one to each axis of the joy2 pins in the gameport connector (while the wheel is probably joy1, again just assuming, maybe it's the opposite?).

Directly measuring voltage at the connectors of the potentiometers, they definitely go from 0 to something as I turn them up, which leads me to believe the potentiometers are fine? So the problem could be between the potentiometers and the DB15 connector, but all cables look absolutely good, the connectors don't look corroded or anything. My ideal next course of action would be to measure that voltage change on the DB15 pins directly, but the problem is the connector needs to be plugged in for the device to be powered up.. right?

So I'm now a bit stuck at that stage with my surface-level understanding of all that jazz. Would anyone have a great idea what I could do next for a better diagnostic? The fact that both pedals don't work is a bit weird to me, and maybe I'm completely overlooking something simple.

Cheers!

potentio.png
Filename
potentio.png
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 1 of 1, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh and same friend also gave me a like-new MS Sidewinder FFB Pro complete in box. Both the wheel and joystick spent the last 15-20 years in his dad's attic.

Score! 😀

FFB.png
Filename
FFB.png
File size
406.39 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later