VOGONS

First post, by wutang61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking for help on this. Can’t seem to get the SB gameport to communicate properly to DOS in 98SE. Everything else works flawlessly.

Anyone have a driver recommendation to get things running ?

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have to install the DOS Live drivers and check this topic: Sound Blaster LIVE DOS Joystick

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by wutang61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-12-20, 02:01:

You have to install the DOS Live drivers and check this topic: Sound Blaster LIVE DOS Joystick

I have the DOS drivers installed from PHIL’s lab. Dos drivers, joystick emulation and the gameport driver.

The inputs from the stick (wingman extreme) do
Register but are corrupted for lack of a better term. (This behavior is consistent with a MS precision pro stick as well)

On the calibration page in game the “center point dot” is fine. As you begin to increase or decrease an axis the input map “skips”. Resulting in an unusable range of motion or the throttle stuck at 30% when the stick as at zero. Joystick twist isn’t picked up at all and the throttle,X/Y axis don’t register the full range of motion. Buttons work fine.

The stick works and is calibrated 100% outside of Dos. No issues with the gameport inside 98 itself. Once it crosses over to DOS it’s a mess.

I only have one current game for DOS so it would be difficult to isolate it to the game itself or driver issue. I will attempt to patch mech 2 to version 1.1 (if it isn’t already) today and see if that improves the issue.

My gut is telling me that it’s a config issue somewhere between the OS and the shell for input on the gameport. Just would not know where to begin. I will double check that config that was linked in that post.