VOGONS

First post, by Retronaut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I recently bought a circa 1998 Fujitsu (ICL) Ergo Pro x Pentium 233 mmx machine. When I received it, it was in terrible shape in terms of dirt, dust etc. When received it WAS booting to the Keyboard missing prompt

Due to the dirt took it all apart, and washed the logic board, using a shower head, on relatively low flow. Then blew it dry and left it to dry.

Two days later, I plugged it in, turned it on and received a set of beeps, complaining no ram was in 1st mb. I realised I had left the 32bm SDRAM Dimm out, so socketed it and tried again.
No beeps
So I plugged in my VGA monitor, and expected to see it boot, but, nothing, no beeps, no image, nothing.

So, Im assuming that by the * * - - beeps with no RAM in, that the CPU and BIOS are working, to a degree. In this state, if I take OUT the CPU, no beeps. So the CPU is doing this right?

Once the RAM is in, though its totally silent, no boot. I have ordered two 32mb DIMMS, same spec, in case the mem stick has gone bad.

I tested the Socket 7, to see if voltages are correct, and it seems odd. VCC2 is showing 3.5v and vcc3 is 3.3v. The board is set to supply 3.3v and 2.8v, is it normal for those voltages to be so high, Im assuming not....

There is some kind of transistor with a heatsink right next to the CPU, and with it in it gets SUPER hot.

Anyway, any guidance welcome. Ill post pics here to illustrate, if thats possible.

Cheers

Chris
Retronaut Tech

Chris Thomas
aka Retronaut @ https://www.youtube.com/@RetronautTech
Support me @ patreon.com/RetronautTech