VOGONS

First post, by bdgarat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I've been trying to recovery a Compaq Evo N150 that was shutted down during a bios update and now it doesn't POST. I have a ROM file from the update utility, but don't have a chip programmer like the tl866. I tried the bios hot swap method on various motherboards, using uniflash on some mobos both the chipset and the bios chip is detected properly, but when I hit flash including bootblock, I only get red squares on the preview, and fails the checksum. Using various bios update utilities (awdflash, amiflasher, phlash16), it always fails either the checksum or it detects that the bios of the mobo is different from the one I want to flash, and refuses to do it. Also, I don't have any boards that also uses the phoenix bios, only award or AMI.
The eeprom of the compaq is a 28sf040, 5v 512K. I've been trying the hot swap method on a pcchips M925 (AMI), pcchips M789CG (AMI), Mitac 5114vu (Award 6.00). All of them have via chipsets. I have a few Intel ones but they use the hub architecture (i815, i845), and also 3.6v eeproms, so I assume those could either kill the eeprom/mobo or won't work.
I also know some BIOS have recovery options, like the bootblock recovery from award, but I don't know if this BIOS has that option and how to trigger it.
Is there any other way of flashing back the BIOS file, or something I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 2, by bdgarat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2024-01-07, 20:12:

Where are you located? maybe someone with a programmer can send you a flashed chip. I'm in Switzerland, have one and happy to help if you're close.

I'm from Argentina 🙁 the shipping cost does not worth it. Thanks anyway!

I also tried using a DOS compiled version of flashrom, but it seems that these mobos I have are not compatible with the eeprom, they only read up to 256k roms. Also if I force the dump of the contents to a file or flash it, it comes blank