VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am working on a project with Super Socket 7 processors, and I really want to show them in their best light.

On Slot 1 it's quite easy, you just use FASTVID, or MTRRLFBE and DOS graphics performance gets a massive boost.

Most Socket 7 CPUs, I think, don't support write combining, but the AMD K6-2 Chomper Extended (CXT) CPUs apparently do.

And although there are a lot of tools floating around, I'm not having much luck. So if anyone has experience with this / got it working, maybe you can help.

I had some success with MXK6OPT, gave me a nice boost in 640 x 480 games and benchmarks. For example Quake 640 x 480 improved from 14.5 to 24.2 on a K6-2-III 400.

But I haven't found anything that boosts 320 x 200 games like it does for the Pentium 3.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 1, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Phil, so what does WC really do? Let's say we have a K6-2/350 CXT and Win95 installed.
I can activate WC on autoexec.bat before loading windows and it's also possible to activate WC within windows?
If I activate WC via autoexec.bat I can see that throughput gains from 100 to 300, but that is a "theoratical" value, where can I prove that it really does something. e.g. a Win9x Benchmark from MDK does not show different values if WC is activated, or have to use a win95 tweak-util to activate WC within windows?

Another problem is that WC does not work with EMM386 and therefore not with QEMM97 either, but some PCI Soundcards require EMM386 to be loaded in oder to work in DOS or in a dos-windows/dos-fullscreen within Win95.

So what's the point here? THX! Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines