VOGONS

First post, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I'm trying to fire up a Matrox Millennium (4MB - IS Storm labelled by IBM) that I got for almost nothing some weeks ago. It has two DIP switches on the board as shown on the picture (actual photo):

HQjoEwC.jpg

One is for Bios protection, and the other one is to disable VGA (still don't really know why I would want to disable it, to use double monitors I've read) 🤣.

I can't manage to make it work. If I disable the VGA ouptup by using the SW2 switch, the computer refuses to boot and its beep code tells me 'no graphics card present', which is ok. But if I keep this option enabled as it shoud be, the pc works but shows nothing on the screen.

To try it further, I installed a secondary AGP card and tried to diagnose the Matrox one, I even updated its bios to latest version (3.00), and it keeps telling me that VGA is disabled (and no image at all), whereas the physical switch is not set to do so. This is what the computer tells me:

fHpXWXE.jpg

1ModncQ.jpg

I don't really know what's happening here, as I don't hace any experience in Matrox cards, but I realise they're a bit special. My plan is keeping it to be paired with a pci Voodoo in a future build 😀. Maybe it's broken (I don't think so since it's recognised 😀 ).

Does anybody experienced such problems?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Reply 2 of 16, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Half-Saint wrote:

Have you tried this card in another computer?

Yep! The main tests were done over a SS7 system, but also tried it on an Athlon XP with the same results. I still have to test further before discarding it 😀

Reply 3 of 16, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is possible your switch is broken. If you have a multimeter, you can test the switch using the two points on the back of the card. If that is the case, you will probably get continuity from the two points despite the position of the switch.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 4 of 16, by cookie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I'm putting an answer to this subject, as I've been looking for this exact graphics card model, found one, and encountered the same problem. Reported in devices but no VGA output.

For those in the same situation, you need to tell the program PROGBIOS.exe to force flashing of the bios (but backup the original just in case).
Since this model of card comes in factory with a Macintosh bios, it will not be addressed correctly.

Install the Matrox Millennium as a 2nd video card, and use another one as the 1st (higher PCI slot, use another brand to not confuse progbios).

There's a hidden option -k so it gives the command line : progbios -i 838-20.bin -k
(don't forget to move the bios protection dipswitch)

Remove others video cards, reboot and enjoy POST screen. 😀 hope it helps whoever will need this.

Reply 5 of 16, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I understand, on a system with two video cards, the "disable VGA" option makes that card the secondary adaptor, even if it is mounted on the AGP slot or a lower PCI slot than the primary card.

This issue came up in this thread: ATI 3D Rage II jumpers

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 16, by cookie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

As I understand, on a system with two video cards, the "disable VGA" option makes that card the secondary adaptor

I found a Millennium Installation Guide on Google (Matrox filetype:pdf "switch" "vga disabled") which says this :

[code]Switch 2: VGA Enable/Disable switch

By default the VGA of your Millennium card is enabled (Switch 2=OFF) for single-screen
operation, which means that you must remove or disable your existing VGA, if you have one. If the
VGA is on the motherboard of your PCI system, it should be disabled automatically.

This switch should be set to ON if you want to work in a dual-screen configuration. In this case
you will also be using either a VGA in another slot or on your system’s motherboard, or another
Matrox card for output to the second monitor.[/code]

So that proves it, it is for a dual-screen combination with Matrox software.

However in this specific case I think the "Vga Disabled" message in DOS we saw is because the Mac firmware makes it unusable to the PC BIOS (not because of the dipswitch).
That was the only way I found to make it work, by reflashing its bios.

Reply 7 of 16, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alternatively if you find one with a Mac bios you might sell or trade it, 90s Mac video cards are relatively rare.

I have a Mac Millenium that's not detected by its Mac but is by a PC, and sadly I think someone flashed it with a PC BIOS.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9 of 16, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the card was IBM labeled it may originate from an RS/6000 workstation. I remember flashing another Matrox PC card with the IBM BIOS in lack of a GXT 130 for my RS6K.
eisapc

Reply 11 of 16, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
naujoks wrote on 2024-01-19, 20:40:

I, too, have a non booting Millennium, presumed to have a MAC BIOS on it.
Where can I find the progbios.exe and the BIOS? And what's the command to save the old BIOS?

MGA Millennium BIOS file and flash tool can be downloaded from Vogons drivers library page.

Also you can try some BIOS-dump files from here (look at "Download attachments - BIOS").

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 12 of 16, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahhh I ran the progbios utility, but it started flashing the BIOS right away, not even asking for any confirmation.
It worked, but I wasn't able to back up the old BIOS. Now I'm sad. Can someone send me the Mac BIOS, please?

Reply 13 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
naujoks wrote on 2024-01-20, 09:00:

Ahhh I ran the progbios utility, but it started flashing the BIOS right away, not even asking for any confirmation.
It worked, but I wasn't able to back up the old BIOS. Now I'm sad. Can someone send me the Mac BIOS, please?

Try here - https://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/mac/millennm/bios/

Older versions can be found here - https://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/mac/millennm/previous/

Reply 16 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
naujoks wrote on 2024-01-20, 13:41:

Thanks, these are all .HQX files. Do they need to be converted to a binary file?

Yes, they're Mac binary... only tried 7-Zip (no go) though apparently Stuffit or Winzip are claimed to work