VOGONS

First post, by william9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Chaintech ES-675M motherboard, I did minor upgrade from Celeron 2GHz to 2.2GHz and while the board boots it doesn't seem to recognize the new CPU properly as it claims that it is Pentium 4 2.2GHz without any cache.

I found bios downloads but they mention couple revisions and I don't know what revision this board is. There is text "ES-675M vA3 d31" printed on the board.

I don't know how safe it would be to just try and disable bootblock programming? As far as I know I should be able to restore correct bios with functional bootblock.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your board is also known as the Chaintech 9VIF. Sorta like MSI giving names an alter ms-# 🤣 but you already figured that I think. Yeah both are at Driver guide, only one thru the .tw archive....
Looking thru the archives, there are slightly newer (by only a few months) for rev C & E and a diff one for rev D, F and G. If I had to guess you have a rev D (as in d31 since there is no rev A as in vA3).
Here is the archive page: http://web.archive.org/web/20050309071039/htt … CSNo=4&PISNo=28
Since your bios is socketed you could flash it and if if wrong try the bootblack flash method. If that does not work then find someone with an eeprom programmer.
I seriously suggest you save the current bios and post it here (zipped) before trying to flash it. Some of us might be able to tell from it's code if it is rev d by comparing to the others.....
There is no FAQ page found (yet) that helps figure out if that d31 does mean a rev d.
Attached the bios and manual in case anyone wants a quick look w/o searching. Also here is something interesting: the hex diff between the C&E versus D,F&G is shown in the picture, not much change between them....

Attachments

• Filename
    Chaintech.7z
    File size
    516.58 KiB
    Downloads
    9 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • compare.jpg
    Filename
    compare.jpg
    File size
    562.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by william9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I read your reply late, but I just went and flashed with bios filename "ES675M-9.bin", can't remember what download it was but at least at one point I also thought it might be D revision because of the text printed.

All went fine and seems like everything is working, just tested with Ubuntu, USB ports, sound, integrated graphics, AGP slot etc all work.

Apparently there are versions of this board where ISA slot is soldered in place, what revision that would be I don't know but maybe some bioses have stuff specific for those boards.

I noticed that there is model sticker on PCI slot, it didn't help much when googling.

ES-675M-000AG

Attachments

• IMG_20240125_185251.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20240125_185251.jpg
    File size
    400.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to know ! Odd the sticker says v3.0 10/15/2002 which is the newest bios, also the 9A5F is the newest bios checksum....
Am wondering if someone down flashed the bios at some point......and sorry i included wrong manual in my .zip..

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun