VOGONS

First post, by Tyrantulas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK... you know how some Pentium (Socket 7 era) motherboards supported soft CPU settings to control FSB, multiplier and voltage?

Those "Soft CPU" seemingly don't make their way into the versions of MR BIOS for those motherboards. Is there a stand alone utility for DOS that bridges the gap?

Thank you!

Reply 2 of 6, by Tyrantulas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2024-01-26, 23:39:

Are you using a generic MR BIOS for the chipset application? Or is it for that exact model motherboard?

The board is a PM-9500 AMPTRON (but is known as a couple of other models)... which uses a TX chipset, and according to the MR BIOS archive here on Vogons, uses MR BIOS 3.46.

If you flash that BIOS to the board, there are no settings available to configure the Soft CPU functionality... it just resets to a default setting of either 120Mhz (166Mhz... can't verify at the moment).

Reply 3 of 6, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know where did you got this MR BIOS archive from, but if your motherboard doesn't have an options to manually set (by combinations of jumpers) voltage, bus frequency and multiplier for the CPU, it's obviously not a good idea to use some "chipset-universal" 3-rd party BIOS that also doesn't offer such an options.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 4 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep. Clock gen circuitry (PLLs on boards like this) isn't integrated into the chipset, so the specific PLL needs firmware support for what you want.

There are tools for later boards, but not aware of any DOS tools for this era.

Reply 5 of 6, by Tyrantulas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-01-27, 08:21:

I don't know where did you got this MR BIOS archive from, but if your motherboard doesn't have an options to manually set (by combinations of jumpers) voltage, bus frequency and multiplier for the CPU, it's obviously not a good idea to use some "chipset-universal" 3-rd party BIOS that also doesn't offer such an options.

I 100% agree... I was just experimenting with an extra board I had to explore what MR BIOS looked like.

Reply 6 of 6, by Tyrantulas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2024-01-27, 09:21:

Yep. Clock gen circuitry (PLLs on boards like this) isn't integrated into the chipset, so the specific PLL needs firmware support for what you want.

There are tools for later boards, but not aware of any DOS tools for this era.

Thank you for the information.