VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I need help identifying this 286 motherboard. The year 1992 on AMI BIOS chip caught my eye. It isn't the most compact last gen 286 board but it seems decent. I like that socketed oscillator and CPU.

7625630.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 14, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess I'll have to find out the hard way... it's in the mail. Hopefully it will get here in a week or two.

I'll try to swap the crystal for 50Mhz one and put Harris cpu in it. Also fpu will be changed for IIT one till I get a proper Cyrix Fasmath 287XL+. If this works, I'm done with my 286 project 😁

Reply 2 of 14, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still need help identifying this board. It has lots of jumpers, so it would help me very much to get some info.

Reply 3 of 14, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Identifying old motherboards can be a pain in the ass. Check out http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/index.html

They have a huge MB database complete with layouts and jumper settings. Just browse trought 286 motherboards and look for boards with the exact same layout. That's how I ID my old boards.

Here: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/m286_1.html - from A to Z with jumpers and diagrams. Just find one with the exact same layout, that's your board. Good luck.

Reply 4 of 14, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Already went through the STASON without success.

Reply 5 of 14, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Best way is to turn on the board and ID via the BIOS string.

You can usually check manufacturer code and go from there.

Reply 6 of 14, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's just what I thought to do... I'll try it when I get from work.

Reply 7 of 14, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the BIOS string:

D286-1430-040990-K7

Google doesn't find anything meaningful

Reply 8 of 14, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found some time to play around with this board.

Replaced memory chips with SIMM. Now has 4MB (4x 1MB 60ns), replaced CPU with Harris-20, replaced AMD FPU with IIT one. Changed crystal to 48MHz, it won't do 50MHz for some reason (maybe cpu, maybe motherboard) 🙁

I have tried all the jumpers and one is quite interesting - it sets the board to run at 12MHz - no mater what crystal is installed. DIP switches are only for memory settings. Many jumpers doesn't effect the system and don't know what they do.

Benchmarks are quite interesting... haven't seen 286 so fast 😁 I'll make a new thread about this project and all the benchmarks with pictures 😎

Reply 9 of 14, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

Benchmarks are quite interesting... haven't seen 286 so fast 😁 I'll make a new thread about this project and all the benchmarks with pictures 😎

Cool - make those 386SX's run away in fear 😎

Reply 10 of 14, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even 386DX might run away 🤣

Reply 11 of 14, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Impressive!

Reply 12 of 14, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that 12MHz jumper supposed to be for a turbo switch then?

Reply 13 of 14, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On a Russian site I found a little bit of info about this board

Name: ???
Revision: ???
CPU/FPU: 80286, 80287
Chipset: TI TACT8230... 1BPB, 2BPB, 3EPB
ICs: J8M42C
Memory: SIPP (4), HY51C4256S-10 (8)
Exp. slots: ISA-8 (3), ISA-16 (5)
Id string: D286-1430-040990-K0 (Almost matches, your board is maybe a new revision, I tried Wim's BIOS and I couldn't find the ID in the manufacturer database, so looks like this is a ID of a defunct company)
BIOS: AMI
ROM: R4-TL018 P256-01H 044CXHB (32k)

Source: http://chukaev.ru54.com/bios_en.htm

Reply 14 of 14, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/aquari … -ham-12-ti#docs - it's this board, just in case

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300