First post, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, here's what I have on the repair workbench right now:

file.php?id=182747&mode=view

It was identified as AOpen AP4.

It's a matter of days to fix a few broken traces and move on to testing. However, I do have one problem. I don't have any SIMM-memory modules with 72 pins, but I can buy a few at good price with an option for discount past other old parts. And I don't know what voltage for 72-pin SIMM memory this motherboard provides - maybe I'm missing it in the user's manual. I also don't know what type or RAM EDO or FP, buffered or unbuffered, parity, non-ECC(???)... whatever it supports best.

If someone can give me clarity on which type of 72-pin SIMM memory modules will be fully compatible with this AOpen AP4 mobo, please share this info with me. Thanks in advance!

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 1 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are two revisions of the SiS 496/497 chipset, one that supports EDO and one that does not. Both of them will work fine with FPM and parity or non-parity memory. Unbuffered.

Post a higher resolution photo of the northbridge markings if you want to know if EDO is an option.

Reply 2 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FP is the safe option, it will definitely work. If it's just for testing, get a bog-standard 4MB SIMM with 9 4400 chips. That will support parity, but work non-parity if needed.

As for voltage - 72p SIMM in x86 is always 5V. In more exotic hardware 3.3V can be found, but in PCs you don't need to worry about that until DIMMs roll along - and there again, in normal desktop PCs all DIMMs are 3.3V; 5V DIMMs are more of a thing in some obscure server hardware (and Macs).

Reply 3 of 10, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, guys.

Here are some closer pics of the SiS 496/497 chipset:

496-497_chips.jpg
Filename
496-497_chips.jpg
File size
18.84 KiB
Views
File comment
496/497 chipset
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If this board works again, the RAM will be used with it, not only for tests. So for now I'll look for 5 V FP unbuffered parity modules, but it will be nice if this board supports EDO RAM.

P.S. I think some early Pentium boards use 3.3 V or 5 V SIMM modules (set by jumper) and I can't call them "exotic", but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway this is year ~1995 486, 5x86 mobo and maybe it supports only 5 V SIMM modules as they're "standard" for older 486 boards.

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 4 of 10, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-02-01, 23:00:
Thanks, guys. […]
Show full quote

Thanks, guys.

Here are some closer pics of the SiS 496/497 chipset:
496-497_chips.jpg

If this board works again, the RAM will be used with it, not only for tests. So for now I'll look for 5 V FP unbuffered parity modules, but it will be nice if this board supports EDO RAM.

P.S. I think some early Pentium boards use 3.3 V or 5 V SIMM modules (set by jumper) and I can't call them "exotic", but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway this is year ~1995 486, 5x86 mobo and maybe it supports only 5 V SIMM modules as they're "standard" for older 486 boards.

There are tons of revisions of the SIS496/497 not just 2. Only the very last one support EDO, they start with P.
There were a lot of postings here on Vogons, but I cannot find a complete table.
So get FPM modules and forget about EDO.

How did you make those pictures? They are really bad.

Reply 5 of 10, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-02-01, 23:24:
There are tons of revisions of the SIS496/497 not just 2. Only the very last one support EDO, they start with P. There were a lo […]
Show full quote

There are tons of revisions of the SIS496/497 not just 2. Only the very last one support EDO, they start with P.
There were a lot of postings here on Vogons, but I cannot find a complete table.

Don't worry, I'm lazy (and a bit tired right now), so I just cut the chip's images from old pictures from the day when I got the board. Now they're clean as the board itself 😀

I only see "starting P" on the last row of the chip's markings "PFA0188" and "PFD0645", but I have no idea if this is what you mean for very last revision of this chipset. The date codes on chips ("9524" and "9523") point to May 1995.

P.S. Ok, found this post in the forum and it claims that "OT" + "OR" marking are for revision B4 (or B5 in a previous comment). What it means?

Reply 6 of 10, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-02-01, 23:37:
Don't worry, I'm lazy (and a bit tired right now), so I just cut the chip's images from old pictures from the day when I got the […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-02-01, 23:24:
There are tons of revisions of the SIS496/497 not just 2. Only the very last one support EDO, they start with P. There were a lo […]
Show full quote

Don't worry, I'm lazy (and a bit tired right now), so I just cut the chip's images from old pictures from the day when I got the board. Now they're clean as the board itself 😀

I only see "starting P" on the last row of the chip's markings "PFA0188" and "PFD0645", but I have no idea if this is what you mean for very last revision of this chipset. The date codes on chips ("9524" and "9523") point to May 1995.

P.S. Ok, found this post in the forum and it claims that "OT" + "OR" marking are for revision B4 (or B5 in a previous comment). What it means?

It's B4 => FPM only PT and PR or similar supports EDO

Reply 7 of 10, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-02-02, 00:46:

It's B4 => FPM only PT and PR or similar supports EDO

Thanks for this clarification.

So I have to look for 5 V unbuffered (preferable) parity Fast Page SIMMs.

Now I have to figure out how to distinguish buffered from unbuffered memory by pictures on the RAM chips. Maybe buffered SIMM modules have some "extra" chips of another type. I think that buffered RAM is intended mainly for server machines. At least I figured out for parity - non-parity RAM visual differences from another thread in the forum.

Reply 8 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

72p SIMMs are almost never buffered.

Simple way to be sure: buffers are extra chips. If the SIMM has 8 or 9 identical chips, it's not buffered. If it has multiple smaller chips as well it may be buffered.

Reply 9 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-02-01, 23:00:

P.S. I think some early Pentium boards use 3.3 V or 5 V SIMM modules (set by jumper) and I can't call them "exotic"

pcchips most likely, that voltage jumper was for the DIMM slot

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 10, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2024-02-02, 05:27:

72p SIMMs are almost never buffered.

Simple way to be sure: buffers are extra chips. If the SIMM has 8 or 9 identical chips, it's not buffered. If it has multiple smaller chips as well it may be buffered.

Like combination of nine 424400-70 + three 421000-70 chips?

rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-02, 05:29:

pcchips most likely, that voltage jumper was for the DIMM slot

I have one of these and always thought that this RAM-voltage set jumper is for SIMM slots as I didn't knew there are DIMMs on 5 V. Thanks for the info.