VOGONS

First post, by Vlad94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! This is my first post 😁

1 year ago I saw three Lga775 board with i845 (Brookdale) chipsets:
ASRock 775i45GV (845gv, with fake AGP aka. ASRock AGI)
Gigabyte GA-8I845GVM-775 (845gv, no AGP)
Gigabyte GA-8I845GE775-G (845ge, real AGP)

Since then, I trying to find more info about them, but seems like all of them (except maybe ASRock one) were not released or made only in small quantities 🙁
Anyone from here saw them in real life? If yes, let me know 😀

Greetings from Poland! 😁

Reply 1 of 16, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ASRock 775i45GV Rev:3.0 is pretty dang famous as being one of the last Win98 officially supported boards with AGP, AGI was one of the better implementations of fake AGP and it works super well on this board and is AFAIK compatible with most 4x/8x AGP cards even ones not listed. The Rev3.0 version though is rather hard to find but Rev:2.03 is common enough that you can pick it up cheap enough, I dont know of any major issues with the board but the one I have is still kicking.

Haven't seen the two Gigabyte boards myself but I doubt they are any different and being Gigabyte will likely be solid boards.

Reply 3 of 16, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vlad94 wrote on 2023-12-21, 10:58:

You mixed 775i65gv with 775i45gv 😁 They uses different chipsets, and 775i65gv is easily avaible.

...yes .. I think I need to nuke and pave my brain .. the eye module is malfunctioning.

That being the case they do both have AGI ...so that part is still correct !
The two boards dont look that dissimilar either, looks like AsRock may have just switched the chipset and done a few IO updates for the 865 chipset.

Is there something about the 845GV chipset that you are particularly interested in ?

-Edit I did notice there is a Asrock 775i48 board, this one has full fat AGP 8X

Reply 4 of 16, by Vlad94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I like unusual boards 😁 i845 with lga775 is not a thing you see everyday.
That ASRock 775i45gv is most interesting imo, well Gigabyte GA-8I845GE775-G looks nicer but ASRock have AMIBIOS so it will be better for experimenting.
I love hacking newer CPUs for older boards, recently I managed to run Core 2 Duo (later switched to Pentium Dual-Core cuz higher multiplier) on... i915g and i925xe chipsets.
It required some research, but this is a topic for different thread 😁

i848p chipset is part of i865 series, this is basically i865pe with single channel RAM only.

Reply 5 of 16, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vlad94 wrote on 2023-12-21, 11:16:
Well, I like unusual boards :D i845 with lga775 is not a thing you see everyday. That ASRock 775i45gv is most interesting imo, w […]
Show full quote

Well, I like unusual boards 😁 i845 with lga775 is not a thing you see everyday.
That ASRock 775i45gv is most interesting imo, well Gigabyte GA-8I845GE775-G looks nicer but ASRock have AMIBIOS so it will be better for experimenting.
I love hacking newer CPUs for older boards, recently I managed to run Core 2 Duo (later switched to Pentium Dual-Core cuz higher multiplier) on... i915g and i925xe chipsets.
It required some research, but this is a topic for different thread 😁

i848p chipset is part of i865 series, this is basically i865pe with single channel RAM only.

No you dont see 775 on mid P4 chipsets much, Pretty sure ASRock were the leaders in doing weird things with their boards at the time, their dual AGP/PCIe boards and boards with upgrade cards were a few examples, they even did a few dual socket boards with 754 and 939 sockets on the same board, IIRC they did the same for Intel with 478 and 775 on the same board. (ASRock P4 Combo is the Intel version of the K8-Combo)

I have one of the 754 with 939 ASRock K8 Combo-Z boards, its a rather unusual board, sadly it came with really bad caps so is in need of recapping.

I hope you find one of the Gigabyte boards, cant say I have ever actually seen one in the wild.

Reply 6 of 16, by Vlad94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those Gigabytes board seems like never really released, only info from Gigabyte site. ASRock 775i45gv is different story, I saw some topics on other sites and forums, so at least that one was released to public.

Yeah ASRock made s478/s775 dual board named P4 Combo.

Reply 7 of 16, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vlad94 wrote on 2023-12-21, 11:35:

Those Gigabytes board seems like never really released, only info from Gigabyte site. ASRock 775i45gv is different story, I saw some topics on other sites and forums, so at least that one was released to public.

Yeah ASRock made s478/s775 dual board named P4 Combo.

I want a P4 Combo ...I love weird boards like that, IIRC ASRock even had a SLI AGP board at one of their tech shows, need dual chipsets to run the two AGP slots but I remember they did have it working.

Im guessing you may have to wait till one of the ES hoarders decides to part ways with one.

I'm right into the 2000 - 2010 tech weirdness, was the best time to be a PC nerd.

Reply 9 of 16, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vlad94 wrote on 2023-12-21, 11:42:

Actually AGP slot can run on PCI bus, so dual "AGP" board is possible even with one chipset, but it will be slow 😜

Yeah the ATI RAGE MAXX proved that it would be slow as each GPU core had to talk to the other over an internal PCI bus at 33Mhz, IIRC AGP cant handle two GPUs on the same bus at the same time communicating and fighting over memory and bandwidth *. The solution ASRock had was to use two chipsets to get two full speed AGP 8x busses who could talk to each other across the chipsets. I guess it would still be slower than PCIe but certainly faster than using the PCI bus.

Not very practical but still quite amazing that they actually got it working well enough to show it off in the face of AGPs demise. I do wonder if that board is still out there in the hands of a collector or engineer and it may see the light of day again.

* - I remember this was to be included in AGP 3.0 spec but was dropped for the final release of 3.0, AGP died before it could be implemented in 3.5. (3.5 was supposed to be UAGP and had many of the advances PCIe had, would have been cool to see a dedicated graphics slot remain standard)

Reply 10 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Threads like this make me think of sales like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234846996849?epid= … ABk9SR8aApcaRYw

Its a nothing special board with an extra special price.
The only person who thinks its worth that much is the owner. So they end up with nothing but a motherboard that just isnt worth that much.

Reply 11 of 16, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-12-21, 12:45:

Threads like this make me think of sales like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234846996849?epid= … ABk9SR8aApcaRYw

Its a nothing special board with an extra special price.
The only person who thinks its worth that much is the owner. So they end up with nothing but a motherboard that just isnt worth that much.

Thats an extra special price for a pretty ordinary board, but why does it look like it has a Pentium III for the chipset. This thread is more about unusual boards that were kinda rare even back in the day and accordingly carry a higher than normal price now, the only people who want them know what they are and what their value is, even if that value is subjective.

I personally would happily pay a bit more for a P4 Combo board than say a P4C800-E Deluxe even though the P4C board is certainly one of the best made for the 875 chipset.

Reply 12 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesnt look like a Pentium III, it might be reminiscent of a Pentium III though... Maybe the colour and the exposed die.

The price of it is exactly my point.
The boards above are rare for good reason.... People tend to buy good things 😉
Its value is in its rarity. I cant understand that even if the 3 boards in the OP are not worth buying from a technical point of view.

The Asus P4C800-E Deluxe was a rather average board as regards to the Intel 875P chipset. There were other better boards... Asus NCCH-DL, PCH-DL, MSI 875P FIS2R are three I had myself. I also remember an Aopen board and an Intel one too.
They dont seem to be sought after boards but what they lack in extra features they make up for in solid reliability.

Reply 13 of 16, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-12-22, 02:14:
It doesnt look like a Pentium III, it might be reminiscent of a Pentium III though... Maybe the colour and the exposed die. […]
Show full quote

It doesnt look like a Pentium III, it might be reminiscent of a Pentium III though... Maybe the colour and the exposed die.

The price of it is exactly my point.
The boards above are rare for good reason.... People tend to buy good things 😉
Its value is in its rarity. I cant understand that even if the 3 boards in the OP are not worth buying from a technical point of view.

The Asus P4C800-E Deluxe was a rather average board as regards to the Intel 875P chipset. There were other better boards... Asus NCCH-DL, PCH-DL, MSI 875P FIS2R are three I had myself. I also remember an Aopen board and an Intel one too.
They dont seem to be sought after boards but what they lack in extra features they make up for in solid reliability.

Its very reminiscent of the early CU Mine Pentium IIIs before they went to the IHS setup the Tualatins and Coppermine T used.

Yeah I actually saw the high end DFI Lanparty i875 boards show up on the bay a while back .. was a lovely looking board as most DFI Lanparty boards were but stupidly expensive both now and back in the day .. they wanted 600 USD for it.

But the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Rev 2 is a very solid board for being just average, it also tends to be a very solid board for overclocking having a good VRM setup, I figure thats why they still sell for a good amount even if the features are average. (Its also one of the easier boards to repair and recap)

Reply 14 of 16, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well yeah sometimes keeping it simple is a quality in its own right.

DFI never interested me, I thought them over rated and they did always command a premium price for no reason other than it was a gamers board... because thats what they called it. Not because it was.
Gigabyte also did one but the colours they used on it made me ignore it.

Reply 15 of 16, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find that simplicity in motherboards helps with retro builds, sometimes extra features just get in the way with compatibility and drivers.

Like Sata, PCIe and AC97 on Windows98 era boards, either you get official 98 drivers or you get beta drivers that usually dont work very well and never got updated.

Thankfully the P4C800 has excellent 98 driver support along with XP.

Reply 16 of 16, by Vlad94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-12-22, 14:31:

Well yeah sometimes keeping it simple is a quality in its own right.

DFI never interested me, I thought them over rated and they did always command a premium price for no reason other than it was a gamers board... because thats what they called it. Not because it was.
Gigabyte also did one but the colours they used on it made me ignore it.

That's right, only interesting board from DFI for me is 875P-T , Lga775 with i875p chipset, no one did such thing, but still probably not that rare like boards from first post 😜