VOGONS

First post, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a follow-up to this thread: Same wire from PSU has a sata connector and molex one - can I use for both SSD and GPU?. Made a new thread since it's quite a different topic I wanted to ask about. Just to re-iterate, I have a X850 XT Platinum Edition GPU. Motherboard is Asus P5PKL-AM/PS motherboard with a Pentium dual core CPU.

Initially I used the 450W PSU in the OP with 4 leads - 1st lead is 20+4 connector, 2nd is a 4-pin connector, and leads 3 and 4 each have a SATA and a molex connector. I tried only testing the GPU first without any other IDE/SATA connections, so I plugged in leads 1 and 2, and plugged molex connectors from leads 3 & 4 into the GPU's dual molex to 6 pin connector (connector seen here: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YccAAOSw93JlQNp8/s-l1600.jpg). The GPU was artifacting heavily. A couple of times the POST screen didn't show up, and booting into a live linux usb caused complete screen corruption.

Then I tried a second PSU (250W) with 4 leads - 1st is a 20 pin connector (that I plugged into the mobo's 24 pin slot), 2nd a 4 pin connector, lead 3 has 2 molex, and lead 4 has 2 molex plus a floppy connector pin. Now with this, the GPU worked just fine - even completed the 3dmark01 SE test end-to-end. I tried 2 sound cards in this config, with one sound card, there was a single instance of artifacting on the post screen. Immediately I switched off and replaced with a second sound card - and in this config it's completely stable and no artifacts, even though lead 4 is connected to both the GPU and an IDE hard drive.

Here are specs of the two PSUs (first one is the problematic one, 2nd is stable): https://imgur.com/a/YYlNYS3

I've seen two issues - in Everest I can see the GPU temperature is around 75-77 deg C range. Is that normal or should I do something about it?

Second issue is: how do I decide what's a proper PSU configuration? How many leads, what kind of connectors, and what voltage/current/power specs should it have (subject to the constraint that at least one floppy connector and 3 molex connectors should be there)?

Please let me know if any more info needed from my end

Reply 1 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There a few points of importance here

a) the power connector on the video card is a 6 Pin PCI Express (PCIe) Power Cable Connector and ONLY uses 12V.
b) the first (non working) power supply is rated at 15A on the 12V rail whereas the second ("working") on is rated at 16A, which makes it theoretically (more on that later) and practically more suitable in your use case .
c) the first power supply is designed to provide most of its power on the 5V rail, but from the Pentium 4 era onward, systems wanted more power on the 12V rail.
d) The first PSU does not even provide information about combined load maximums for its rails. I personally also would not fully trust anything that is written on its label. The info I can find about Zebronics suggest their PSUs are purchased from an OEM and branded before being sold . The web site provides essential zero specs on the available models, not even an efficiency rating (except for a few of their "gaming" PSUs which do have, a manual, specs and even an efficiency rating for at least some of them).
e) I am not familiar with the brand of the second PSU, but they do at least provide specifications on their web site and seem to actually have a full line-up of PSU products.

Reply 2 of 6, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-02-10, 19:55:
There a few points of importance here […]
Show full quote

a) the power connector on the video card is a 6 Pin PCI Express (PCIe) Power Cable Connector and ONLY uses 12V.
b) the first (non working) power supply is rated at 15A on the 12V rail whereas the second ("working") on is rated at 16A, which makes it theoretically (more on that later) and practically more suitable in your use case .
c) the first power supply is designed to provide most of its power on the 5V rail, but from the Pentium 4 era onward, systems wanted more power on the 12V rail.
d) The first PSU does not even provide information about combined load maximums for its rails. I personally also would not fully trust anything that is written on its label. The info I can find about Zebronics suggest their PSUs are purchased from an OEM and branded before being sold . The web site provides essential zero specs on the available models, not even an efficiency rating (except for a few of their "gaming" PSUs which do have, a manual, specs and even an efficiency rating for at least some of them).
e) I am not familiar with the brand of the second PSU, but they do at least provide specifications on their web site and seem to actually have a full line-up of PSU products.

Thanks for the info! One thing I'm confused (being a noob) is on how to see if a PSU is overkill. e.g. this one: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/MEDIAX_84 … JL._SL1500_.jpg

This one is rated 35 A max load for 12 V rail. I looked at the power specs for the GPU and all I got is that the max power draw is 67 W. Is it possible to figure out if the GPU will die if the above PSU is used? Is there any guide that I can use to figure out what kind of specs PSU will not kill the GPU?

Reply 3 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xtreger wrote on 2024-02-10, 21:38:
darry wrote on 2024-02-10, 19:55:
There a few points of importance here […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the info! One thing I'm confused (being a noob) is on how to see if a PSU is overkill. e.g. this one: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/MEDIAX_84 … JL._SL1500_.jpg

This one is rated 35 A max load for 12 V rail. I looked at the power specs for the GPU and all I got is that the max power draw is 67 W. Is it possible to figure out if the GPU will die if the above PSU is used? Is there any guide that I can use to figure out what kind of specs PSU will not kill the GPU?

A higher max rating on PSU rail will not cause issues. Think of it as a maximum that PSU can give, with the GPU and the rest of the computer taking only what they need (it is a bit more complicated than that if one goes to extremes in terms of overspeccing, but this not the case here).

For that specific power supply [1], I really can't say much, other than specs are provided, but they are only partial and I am not familiar with that brand either, so I do not have an opinion their reputation or trustworthiness.

[1]
https://antesports.com/product/ant-esports-vs … s-power-supply/

Reply 4 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For that specific PC a modern budget Bronze rated PSU from a "popular" known brand that's at least 300-350watts would be fine.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote on 2024-02-11, 22:48:

For that specific PC a modern budget Bronze rated PSU from a "popular" known brand that's at least 300-350watts would be fine.

That makes sense.

I was not comfortable suggesting anything specific, as OP seems to be based in India and I am not familiar with what options (and their quality) are available in that market and at what cost.

There may be well regarded local manufacturers that someone familiar with the Indian market could recommend.

Reply 6 of 6, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-02-12, 00:04:
That makes sense. […]
Show full quote
ODwilly wrote on 2024-02-11, 22:48:

That makes sense.

I was not comfortable suggesting anything specific, as OP seems to be based in India and I am not familiar with what options (and their quality) are available in that market and at what cost.

There may be well regarded local manufacturers that someone familiar with the Indian market could recommend.

I understand, and no issues the responsibility is entirely mine even if I select a wrong PSU. I'm thinking of getting this (though it has a 450 W variant too but the price difference is minimal): https://www.amazon.in/Ant-Esports-VS700L-NonM … y/dp/B0C3ZZQ28W

The specs are as follows: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/MEDIAX_84 … SX970_V1___.jpg

This one seems to have a dedicated PCI-e 6+2 connector - so I think the GPU should be covered, plus the max load for 12 V rail is 57 A. I'm thinking of connecting this to a GPU via the 6+2 PCIe pin, an SSD via a SATA pin, a CD drive via a molex pin, and a floppy drive via a molex pin (with molex to floppy power adapter).

Maybe this 700W variant is overkill and the 450W variant should be sufficient for the above purpose?