VOGONS

First post, by Sispik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Vogon
I recently acquired a very nice card, AOpen Aeolus TI4200 8X-DVC128 N8. Its Geforce Ti 4200 with NV28 gpu, 128MB memory, 128 bit bus, DVI and D-Sub outputs. So same as Ti 4800 but lower clocks, which I would pursuit anyway. It ticks all my wants and needs.
Buuut it has artifacts in all 3D accelerated games, except if textures are tiny, like dxdiag tests. I think its caused by faulty memory because coolkid5629 flashed it with 4800 BIOS to overclock memory without adding heatsinks. Is it bad memory and should I junk the card? Or is there a way to limit its memory, possibly to point where faulty memory is unused

artifacts.jpg
Filename
artifacts.jpg
File size
359.05 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I was also unable to find the original BIOS for the card. A Japanese forum may have it, but they require account to access files and that proved beyond me. Another thread here Re: Need a bios file for a Geforce 4 Ti4200 8x AGP card had one that worked, memory now runs at normal speed, inno3D_Ti4200AGP8X, with single digit mismatch in Device ID (mine: 10DE.0281, inno3d: 10DE.0280) But I don't actually know if ID is correct on mine, it identifies as Ti 4800. If anyone happens to have BIOS for this card, would be greatly appreciated

AOpen Aeolus TI4200.jpg
Filename
AOpen Aeolus TI4200.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 1, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MY advice is : use any that works. Most of those are all based on reference designs and are equal. The bios are also mostly reference but modded to include the retailers name and id.
The one one from iNNo3d should be fine...added: Aopen is Acer, nothing special there....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun