VOGONS

First post, by skinmarquee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I've made a 2K DOS game and I'm unable to verify myself but I was told by someone it doesn't work on 286 or below.

I'll attach the source and binary. I tried it myself in 86box a year ago and it didn't work on 286 or below. I wonder if the person was using real hardware or if it's a real bug.

I'm using a DOS interrupt for the input, Ralph Brown's interrupt list doesn't say it's only for 386+. When I disabled all input and tried it on 86box everything else worked.

The game is called MOMENTUM. You get points the longer you travel and every 256 points you get a nuke.

I would love to fix this game so it works on 8088 plus, because the picture comes up and everything but apparently it just freezes after that (when it's waiting for a keypress.)

Thanks!

Attachments

• rFYK2e2.jpg
    Filename
    rFYK2e2.jpg
    File size
    342.34 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Photo of it fully working on a 486 (not my pic)
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • e6sSKKB.jpg
    Filename
    e6sSKKB.jpg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Photo of it "started but not working" on 8088 (not my pic)
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Filename
    MOMENTUM.zip
    File size
    5.22 KiB
    Downloads
    13 downloads
    File comment
    Code and .com binary of MOMENTUM
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by skinmarquee on 2024-02-17, 01:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have illegal instructions for an 8086/80286, e.g. conditional jump with displacement outside of the range -128 to +127:

8d: 0f 84 e4 00 je 0x175

Doesn't look like fasm has a way to set cpu to 8086 or 286 like nasm

You might also want to wrap that sound code messing with the 8254 inside a cli/sti

Reply 3 of 4, by skinmarquee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While I couldn't exactly identify which je it was without reading opcode sizes, I don't even have a disassembler...

but it looked like there were several je exit and je gameover that could have caused it. I wrapped them all in labels and jmp's so unless there were other je's or other non-8086 instructions, it might work on 8088 now, I will try to set up 86box again tonight and check if it works there.

I've attached the new version. There were 98 padding bytes at the end and now there are 78. That includes wrapping the speaker code in cli/sti.

EDIT: I was able to successfully run it in PCem and 86Box, so it looks good now, much thanks. A test on a real 8088/8086 would cement it though. If I could afford it, I would be buying that Book 8088 I've seen around!

Attachments

• Filename
    MOMENTUM-Fixed.ZIP
    File size
    5.13 KiB
    Downloads
    11 downloads
    File comment
    Fixed
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 4, by skinmarquee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game was never complete in my mind but I have so much to do, I'm grateful to say it's done now though. The only other thing I wanted to do was a sound for nukes. That's done, and I added a copyright to the start screen bottom row.

I had 45 bytes left over. Note I honestly didn't optimize this for size any more than doing it as I went along, which I am pretty good at, but there is likely many ways to make this smaller.

Here is the final build:

Attachments

• Filename
    MOMENTUM.ZIP
    File size
    1.86 KiB
    Downloads
    9 downloads
    File comment
    Final build with nuke sound
    File license
    Public domain