VOGONS

First post, by kobaspaladin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do I get a battery back on it, that's how I got the board. I don't understand how this works because the second pin (-) seems to go nowhere...
And if a button cell is shown - does that mean no blocking diode is needed?

Attachments

• soyo1 Kopie.jpg
    Filename
    soyo1 Kopie.jpg
    File size
    1.73 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by kiacadp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks similar to mine. Those pins on the left, bellow where the barrel battery used to be, aren't those to attach an external battery? That's how I've got mine, connected to X 3 AA batteries and no need for anything else. Unless of course you really keen on installing a battery or coin battery with adaptor.

Reply 2 of 3, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Second pin (-) goes to GND. You can't see it because this board has more than just two layers. And GND layer is inside.

If you want to use CR2032 check with multimeter which diode is connected between +5V on PSU connector and battery's (+) and remove that diode.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 3 of 3, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Exbat has fully populated header.

Put a shrinkwrapped coincell, or 3 or 4 AA batteries in a pack (that's basically what's in a cordless phone battery pack, btw) on it, and call it a day. (XTs want 6v, and 4 batteries give that. 3 batteries gives 4.5v, which is closer to a very very new lithium primary battery. They normalize to 3.6v over time.)

The AA battery pack option is even vintage correct.

They were very common inside XTs and early ATs, as the varta bomb batteries leaked even way back then.

It was very common to see the AA pack, or a Taidiran lithium cell inside a plastic rectangle on a pigtail.

They looked like this, respectively.

https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/misc/5170_ba … ry_4_x_1.5v.jpg

https://goughlui.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/ … 49-1024x593.jpg