VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The2Faces wrote on 2024-03-02, 00:06:

I had the same thoughts about the GAFDDC and I really really hope that this chip is not toast. Just for the reason, that it is nearly impossible to source it new to replace with an FPGA without the help of EPSON.

FPGA would be an overkill (and any modern FPGA would require voltage translators for I/O since none can work with 5V signals directly). This is a PLD and a bit starved for resources it seems.

The datasheet is great, nice find. As you can see Epson apparently didn't have enough gates or routing flexibility in the PLD to create all the clock divisor chains they needed, so instead they require two clock sources. RTC SQW is a square wave output of the RTC crystal, usually directly so at 32768 Hz but some RTC chips might have divisors for that as well. This clock controls motor-on timing. Then there is 1 MHz clock input from the data separator chip which controls the rest of the logic.

I think you've mentioned the motor turns on, and the busy/in-use LED as well? In that case the GAFDDC can't be completly dead. So it's a safe assumption it has power and correct reset signal. So I would now focus on the 1 MHz clock signal - is it present? This can be somewhat tested without a scope as well, a typical clock is 50% duty cycle so a volt meter should show roughly 1/2 of the I/O voltage at the clock pin, in this case about 2.5V. Anything above 3.5V and below 1V would be very suspicious. Check the RTC SQW clock input as well, in case motor on/off events are fully software/CPU doing.

The datasheet shows some inverter gates driving the stepper motor 4 coils but I don's see such chips in your machine, I still think it's done with the nearby transistors. But, since GAFDDC has two separate sets of these outputs rather than use daisy-chain with drive select signals, it's very unlikely these are all dead. You should still check the voltage on stepper motor connector, pins 1-4, but in general focus on the clock signals.

Reply 21 of 21, by The2Faces

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have good news!

The Machine runs now finally as it should like!

I had yesterday a little good evening, by extending the power cords for the connector from the PSU to the mainboard. That gave me the option to probe all quartz-oscillators with a multimeter with HZ measurement option.
There I found, what all that issues caused! The oscillating quartz with 16.000MHz right next to the SED9420CAA VFO on the MRS-SUB mezzanine board, was not giving any measurement in any way.
As this quartz was giving the clock not only for the VFO, but also the GAFDDC and the NEC µPD765AC, this would make total sense, that this thing caused that the drives do not get triggered in any way.

I just replaced now the 16.000MHz quartz with a new one (which is smaller but does the job) and now both drives work like a charm.

In the meanwhile I tried already to run a full backup of the harddrive, but it was not possible to get all the current stuff on the 18 360kb DS/DD floppy disks.
Well, time to by a few more disks 😁.

Thanks all for you help!