VOGONS

First post, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

greetings.
I need some help getting the documentation for a card.
I have gotten some "disk emulator" cards, based on EPROM/FLASH/SRAM/NVRAM, bassically an early "SSD"
From the Promdisk IV (I got one) I have been able to find some documentation and software. but for the PCD-890 (I got 2 of this) only some software.
I haven't tried the cards yet, but I read the chips both had in it. They contain MS-DOS 5.0 and some industrial software.
With the soft and documentation of the PROMDISK IV I will be able to use it (it is a somewhat newer card, it seems), for that I am accumulating flash chips (I don't have an ultraviolet eraser).
But I would like to be able to do the same with the larger cards, because the total larger capacity you can get (12 MB vs 4 MB the smaller card)
I would appreciate if anyone has documentation for the PCD-890 card to share it. I am attaching the only thing I have found about, basically just one specifications sheet.
And pics of both cards

Attachments

Last edited by kinetix on 2024-01-27, 21:12. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What little I can find for that card, says that it is/was made by American Advantech Corp.

There is "A support site", but I doubt you will get anywhere with it.

https://support.advantech.com/Support/Download.aspx

Reply 3 of 12, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As for documentation... Round-About references, but no direct manuals.

This military "thesis" from the days of Yore, goes over this card.
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/tr/pdf/ADA289134.pdf

Relevant section starts on page 35 of said thesis, which documents jumper dip switches, and pals.

Reply 4 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kinetix wrote on 2024-01-27, 07:39:
greetings. I need some help getting the documentation for a card. I have gotten some "disk emulator" cards, based on EPROM/FLASH […]
Show full quote

greetings.
I need some help getting the documentation for a card.
I have gotten some "disk emulator" cards, based on EPROM/FLASH/SRAM/NVRAM, bassically an early "SSD"
From the Promdisk IV (I got one) I have been able to get the documentation and software. but for the PCD-890 (I got 2 of this) only some software.
I haven't tried the cards yet, but I read the chips it had in it. They contain MS-DOS 5.0 and some industrial software.
With the soft and the PROMDISK 4 documentation I will be able to use it (it is a somewhat newer card, it seems), for that I am accumulating flash chips (I don't have an ultraviolet eraser).
But I would like to be able to do the same with the larger card, because the total larger capacity I can get (12 MB vs 4 MB the smaller card)
I would appreciate if anyone has documentation for the card to share it.
I am attaching the only thing I have found about the second card, basically just one specifications sheet. and pics of both cards

Here you go 😀

Filename
PCD 890 Dual Flash RAM ROM Disk Card.pdf
File size
2.06 MiB
Downloads
13 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 12, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NEAT-- did you happen to have the manual laying around or what?

OP:

It appears per the documentation, that you can have 2 of theses in the system at the same time. One could be sporting EEPROMs, and the other could be sporting SRAMs, for a bootable romdisk, and a working ramdisk, C and D. They seem to use a standard lithium primary battery for parallel SRAM operation.

Reply 6 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How did you guess!...seriously, found it after a quick ftp search on, of all places, the Carnegie Science Observatories ftp under the Magellan large telescope directory - go figure 😀

Reply 7 of 12, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wierd_w wrote on 2024-01-27, 09:06:
As for documentation... Round-About references, but no direct manuals. […]
Show full quote

As for documentation... Round-About references, but no direct manuals.

This military "thesis" from the days of Yore, goes over this card.
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/tr/pdf/ADA289134.pdf

Relevant section starts on page 35 of said thesis, which documents jumper dip switches, and pals.

ooo..
I already have that one thesis. but I had only seen the specifications of the card, which are at the end, in the annexes, those are the images I attached . I didn't notice that part of the text, hehehe
thank you
Perhaps the way of using the software is similar to the other card. I should try to see if the utilities list any help.

Last edited by kinetix on 2024-01-27, 20:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 8 of 12, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2024-01-27, 09:16:

Here you go 😀

PCD 890 Dual Flash RAM ROM Disk Card.pdf

thanks a lot
this one is better, the official docs.
One additional thing that I find useful about these cards is that I can use them as EPROM and FLASH programmers. FLASH can be erased too.
This is good, because at least for compatible chips I don't have to borrow a friend's programmer.

Reply 9 of 12, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wierd_w wrote on 2024-01-27, 09:24:

NEAT-- did you happen to have the manual laying around or what?

OP:

It appears per the documentation, that you can have 2 of theses in the system at the same time. One could be sporting EEPROMs, and the other could be sporting SRAMs, for a bootable romdisk, and a working ramdisk, C and D. They seem to use a standard lithium primary battery for parallel SRAM operation.

Yes, and it is a very interesting way to use them.
For now I have enough 128KB SRAM compatible chips to fill one BANK and UVEPROM to fill the other bank of one of the PCD-890s, and partially the other card.
I can also fill part of the smaller card.
but what I find difficult about UVEPROMs is to erase them. I'm thinking about building an UV eraser.
That's why I'm looking for enough compatible FLASH PROMs.

Last edited by kinetix on 2024-01-28, 02:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 12, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wierd_w wrote on 2024-01-28, 00:26:

Why build one?

UV flashlights are things. Check amazon.

Believe it or not, it may be easier for me to build it than buy it on Amazon or anywhere else. Plus it's more fun.
If not, I can leave them in the sun for a few days, in the meantime, hahahaha

Reply 12 of 12, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did a "little" experiment. I put 12 1Mbit eeproms (27C010) to be erased with sunlight. I checked them every day. After 4 days the first one had already been erased (initially it was not completely written, so it was partly "empty"). The erased ones were removed from the sun. the last one was completely erased after 12 sunny days. then all received an additional day of sunlight together.
now I can use them on the cards . I will fill a bank with 6MB of eeprom, I will prepare the system, utilities and test programs. We will see how it goes

in some time, if everything is OK, I will erase more than 20 eeproms the same way, for further use.