VOGONS

Reply 40 of 52, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FYI, https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/auva-c … mputer-npm16-a0

or one of the others that looks so awfully similar.

though the numbers underneath the stickers do seem to match.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 41 of 52, by boggit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-07, 16:25:

FYI, https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/auva-c … mputer-npm16-a0

or one of the others that looks so awfully similar.

though the numbers underneath the stickers do seem to match.

Yup, I was just looking at that entry. Seems like the nearest match so far. Especially like picture 4 of 14 on that page.

The difference seems to be that I lack a JP7 jumper - but then again, so do many of the motherboards on the pictures on that link (and, just like the mobos displayed on the images, mine is obviously not 22x22 cm).

Reply 42 of 52, by boggit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fiddling around with the motherboard and removing it from the case, I did manage to pierce the skin of my left index finger, resulting in some blood on the PCB and some traces:

1iDW7w3.jpg
qUZA7Rz.jpg

Using a Q-tip, I did manage to get it all off (at least from what I can see):

iDxu5Kl.jpg

Am I good or should I be worried about this?

Reply 43 of 52, by boggit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some pictures of the motherboard:

12YHhmy.jpg

Back

ICmz2Be.jpg

Jumpers one and two. Also proof that Bank 1 is the one closest to the edge of the mobo.

J6fuLWz.jpg

Front overview

bSek9Ho.jpg

Close-up of the upper jumpers.

WVd6uaZ.jpg

RAM sockets. No funny business here, it seems.

Reply 44 of 52, by boggit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I re-installed the motherboard into the case and booted it up. HIMEM.SYS now works? I don't know what I did or how I did it, but it works.

Thanks to all of you who followed me along on this strange journey.

Reply 45 of 52, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boggit wrote on 2024-03-07, 17:42:

Okay, I re-installed the motherboard into the case and booted it up. HIMEM.SYS now works? I don't know what I did or how I did it, but it works.

Thanks to all of you who followed me along on this strange journey.

The gods accepted your blood offering.

(just kidding)

Do not ask Why !

Reply 47 of 52, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boggit wrote on 2024-03-07, 14:06:

UPDATE: Okay, this is quite a head-scratcher. I switched out the two 4MB SIMM cards, replacing them with two 1MB SIMMs from my 286 mobo (as one can not, according the jumper manuals of all the likely motherboard suspects listed by BitWrangler [here], run 4MB using just one 4MB SIMM card).

Same A20 error as before and - here is the kicker - with /M:1, DOS reports the same unreliability error on the exact same address (00100000h).

The address you quote is the start of the XMS - so this is just another symptom of a non-functional A20 address line. As you get the same error with two different sets of memory modules, faulty memory is very unlikely to be the cause.

boggit wrote on 2024-03-07, 17:42:

I guess there was an actual short between the A20 gate control line and ground, making the A20 gate permanently closed. Cleaning the board, or inserting it in a slightly different position, preventing a possible short at an installation bolt probably cleared that short, so A20 control now works fine.

Reply 48 of 52, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boggit wrote on 2024-03-07, 18:27:
Yes. […]
Show full quote
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-07, 18:20:

The gods accepted your blood offering.

Yes.

weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-07, 18:20:

(just kidding)

I'm not.

that pleases them.

anyway. enjoy !
and if it somehow re-occurs, it's likely a bad contact. Somewhere on the board. or that what mkarcher stated.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 49 of 52, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad it's working now, yeah defoprobablymaybe a short or something cleared, or just mild flexion of the KBC socket rubbed off some oxide and let metal touch, or the blood sacrifice did it.

The "take it all apart and put it back together again" thing is almost as good as "turn it off and on again" sometimes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 52 of 52, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boggit wrote on 2024-03-07, 16:48:

Fiddling around with the motherboard and removing it from the case, I did manage to pierce the skin of my left index finger, resulting in some blood on the PCB and some traces:
Am I good or should I be worried about this?

The joke between me & my friends back in the days when there was only sharp edged cases and through hole components was that the computer was not going to work until it received a blood sacrifice.