VOGONS

Reply 27180 of 27445, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-28, 21:37:

I don't know a ton about how EGA compares to VGA and SVGA, but I was under the impression that there would be differences, at least when comparing monitors? I could be wrong though. I'd actually like to be wrong because that would mean having one less thing on my pipe dream wish list.

In my experience, there isn't anything particularly novel about EGA monitors by themselves. An old CRT monitor with a VGA card running an 16-color EGA game will yield the same experience.

Though EGA monitor can be used with Tandy computers, which makes them handy to have for that reason.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 27181 of 27445, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-28, 21:58:

IMO it gets it's "Least worst PC video standard of 87-88" title by having better colors than hercules, and better text and resolution than CGA.

IMHO, 16-color graphics was pretty solid for the time. It was a significant step up compared to CGA or monochrome.

There is some amazing EGA art used in games. I'm still in awe of the Sierra games of that era and how they used dithering to create some impressive art with so few colors.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 27182 of 27445, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-28, 22:06:
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-28, 21:58:

IMO it gets it's "Least worst PC video standard of 87-88" title by having better colors than hercules, and better text and resolution than CGA.

IMHO, 16-color graphics was pretty solid for the time. It was a significant step up compared to CGA or monochrome.

There is some amazing EGA art used in games. I'm still in awe of the Sierra games of that era and how they used dithering to create some impressive art with so few colors.

Don't forget about Loom!

https://www.superrune.com/tutorials/loom_ega.php

Reply 27183 of 27445, by frankmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-28, 22:04:

I don't know a ton about how EGA compares to VGA and SVGA, but I was under the impression that there would be differences, at least when comparing monitors? I could be wrong though. I'd actually like to be wrong because that would mean having one less thing on my pipe dream wish list.

In my experience, there isn't anything particularly novel about EGA monitors by themselves. An old CRT monitor with a VGA card running an 16-color EGA game will yield the same experience.

Though EGA monitor can be used with Tandy computers, which makes them handy to have for that reason.

Actually, for real EGA experience you need an ega Monitor that can take 15khz and show 320x200 pixel perfect without scandoubling.

Reply 27184 of 27445, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-28, 15:57:

Thanks for looking into that and all the info on NT 3.11 with this board.

I might do a stand-alone test install with another G7S620 board to see if it's worth putting on the main build.

Yeah, that's why I use a dedicated, but still fully compatible graphics card with NT 3.1. I have a PCI Cirrus Logic GD5446, a PCI Tseng ET4000, and a PCI S3 Trio64 all fully functional with NT 3.1 drivers. My personal favorite with NT 3.1 is my Compaq QVision 2000+ based on the Matrox Impression Plus chipset. I added a 2MB memory module to bring its total video memory to 4MB. High colors and high resolutions look great in NT 3.1 (it probably doesn't deserve to look that good 😀 )

Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-28, 15:57:

In the mean time, I need to figure out if I can get Windows 3.11 to run at higher than 60 Hz.

Unless you can set your graphics card's refresh rate outside of Windows using a DOS TSR, I don't think you can adjust the generic VESA driver from Windows 3.11. If you're looking for a graphics card with drivers that support higher refresh rates, I'd recommend a Matrox card up to the G400. Matrox has high quality Windows 3.1 drivers, and the drivers support a large number of monitors with particular refresh rates. If the driver doesn't include the refresh rate you need, you can even specify a custom image signal by editing the MGA.MON file (it just contains text) provided that the card's DAC can handle that rate.

Reply 27185 of 27445, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just did a quick scan of the MGA.MON file from my Win 3.11 install, and it looks like the highest pre-defined non-interlaced refresh rate is 85Hz with most Matrox cards.

Apparently, the cards are limited by both the DAC clock and the memory clock (which impacts the pixel clock) according to the instructions in the MGA.MON file.

Reply 27186 of 27445, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Repaired the input solder joints on a 1084S. It had a problem where if the input cord was wiggled the image brightness would be reduced by probably 50% until you wiggled it a bit.

I think this is the reason I got it so cheap, it’s in practically perfect condition otherwise, so I think the previous owner thought it was just dark but actually it was just bad solder joints.

I fixed that problem but it turns out there’s a bad cap somewhere near the flyback also causing problems. I’m not a fan of desoldering the metal ground plate on the bottom of the analog board, but hey what can you do.

Reply 27187 of 27445, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally put the Thorton 2400+ to rest from the Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL, and upgraded to a mobile 2600+ Barton.

file.php?mode=view&id=189367

Still dunno how to fix that "Unknown CPU Type" string but as long as CPU-Z sees it properly, I'm happy enough.
If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix that string (and on a nForce 2 mobo no less), I'm all ears!

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 27188 of 27445, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-28, 22:04:

Yeah that's what I'm saying. There will be some arguments about aspect ratios, but there always are, even with VGA stuff, and my answer is the same, "You got what you got" on the screen of older monitors, within your tolerance for twiddling the v-size/h-size knobs to something different for everything or just leaving them in a compromise setting that gave you bigger borders or slight offcenter for some things.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 27189 of 27445, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2024-03-29, 11:00:

Still dunno how to fix that "Unknown CPU Type" string but as long as CPU-Z sees it properly, I'm happy enough.
If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix that string (and on a nForce 2 mobo no less), I'm all ears!

Maybe the Vintage Edition of CPU-Z would detect it properly? I keep both the Vintage Edition and a modern version around since they seem to detect things slightly differently.

Nice upgrade btw!

Reply 27190 of 27445, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried it, still reports Unknown CPU Type.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 27191 of 27445, by fsinan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found out a USB Toshiba floppy drive. I'm happy 😀

System:1
Cyrix 5x86-100GP
U-Board ST1A with "0"KB Cache 😀
System:2
AMD K6-2-475(Changing frequently with Cyrix 6x86MX PR-233)
TMC MI5VP4
System:3
UMC U5S-40
486UL-P101

Reply 27192 of 27445, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After bringing home the 5160, I was able to find out a few things about it.

IMG_3198.jpg
Filename
IMG_3198.jpg
File size
393.97 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

On the nice side, it has a full 640k installed between the 256k Motherboard and a RAM card. I was also able to get the MFM hard drive to come back to life after tapping on it. On the bad side, it can't boot Cassette BASIC due to an issue with one of the ROMs, and the HDD is a rather intensely loud. Like, it sounds like a jet engine at times. I was able to put my recently acquired EGA card in there, so I have a mostly working system. At least for the moment. I might be able to create a bootable floppy before the HDD dies again, and from there I might be able to get an XTIDE going as well.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 27193 of 27445, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

trying to install windows 2000 on the dual pentium pro meeting with a lot of problem related to the file corruption and bluescreen.
it seems like the ram i'm using is not happy with 60ns setting.

set ram speed to 70ns and try again right now

Reply 27194 of 27445, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I went back to my Nexgen Nx586 system to install Windows 98 SE on it. It works fine,

System is:
- NexGen Nx586-P90 on PCI mainboard
- 64MB EDO RAM
- ATI Mach64 VT2
- An ISA Acer M5105-based I/O card, better compatibility for serial mice than the controller on the mainboard
- IDE to SATA (SSD) adapter
- Not on the picture, but an ESS Solo-1

The lackluster original CPU heatsink/fan has also been replaced by a modified socket 7 one, much better in any regard. The RTC module was of course dead, so now it has a disconnectable battery.

IMG-1530.jpg

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 27195 of 27445, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Used this to power a cpu (Pentium with Vcore and Vi/o @ 3.3V) while waiting for the replacement (LM1084).
Edit: I tested with Vcore= 3.3V; 3.45V; 3.55V; 3.6V : no POST

Didn't post, Vcc is correct but maybe amperage at 2A isn't enough.

Attachments

• dcdcjpg.jpg
    Filename
    dcdcjpg.jpg
    File size
    144.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 27196 of 27445, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today, I managed to revive my old system gifted by my father.
AMD K6-II 3DNow 500 MHz with Zida T530B-S Super Socket Motherboard.
I need to replace the BIOS IC and the Clock IC.

One small issue still exists.

In this setup, 256 MB x3 RAMs are showing as 128 MB x3 RAMs!
The eBay seller already said - "It displays 256MB on motherboards above version 815, and 128MB on motherboards below version 815. It requires updating the motherboard BIOS to display 256MB"

Is there anything to do?

Attachments

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 27197 of 27445, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stress testing my yesterday built Tualatin Slotcket mod.

I had Celeron 500 original cooler laying around. However its fan produces rather annoying slight whine. So replaced it with modern fan. While it's not CPU cooler with it's 2100RMP (instead if intel 3000) it seems to be providing enough airflow to keep my temps in 45 - 55C bracket. Not pretty with self tapping screws but I'm Ok with function first looks later approach.

Attachments

• case.jpg
    Filename
    case.jpg
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27198 of 27445, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I tried to recover three MB, an ASUS P2B-F, a Compaq Camaro (Mitac), and an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe, with the first I have to do a test, to rewrite the BIOS via floppy (recovery BIOS), but if not the only solution is to change the BIOS chip with another (probably new one), if that doesn't work, I don't know what else to check or try.
For the second one, the Mitac I have to try some tracks on the back, maybe one or more are interrupted or damaged, if I find one interrupted, it could be fixed and the card maybe works again.
To finish the K8N-E Deluxe, I tried to install Windows on a 40 GB WD SATA disk, via CD reader, no version installs, tried from 98 to XP and even 7, when writing to the disk the installation stops block.
The only thing 😨 I can do is change the location of the SATA cable, but I don't think it will make any difference.

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 27199 of 27445, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC@LIVE wrote on 2024-03-31, 19:16:
Today I tried to recover three MB, an ASUS P2B-F, a Compaq Camaro (Mitac), and an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe, with the first I have to do […]
Show full quote

Today I tried to recover three MB, an ASUS P2B-F, a Compaq Camaro (Mitac), and an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe, with the first I have to do a test, to rewrite the BIOS via floppy (recovery BIOS), but if not the only solution is to change the BIOS chip with another (probably new one), if that doesn't work, I don't know what else to check or try.
For the second one, the Mitac I have to try some tracks on the back, maybe one or more are interrupted or damaged, if I find one interrupted, it could be fixed and the card maybe works again.
To finish the K8N-E Deluxe, I tried to install Windows on a 40 GB WD SATA disk, via CD reader, no version installs, tried from 98 to XP and even 7, when writing to the disk the installation stops block.
The only thing 😨 I can do is change the location of the SATA cable, but I don't think it will make any difference.

1st: I had that with a dead bios chip; but also with a dead RTC, and a dead crystal. If it helps at all.
3rd: don't you need to slipstream SATA drivers into the installation ISO image? IFRC sometimes loading from floppy fails. IDE works?

Edit: isn't 2E 2F video card related?

codes also point to

2E Detect and initialise hard drive
2F Detect and initialise math coprocessor

Bios chip rotten too?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K