Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 52360 of 52778, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CrFr wrote on 2024-03-29, 13:11:

Just picked up this Cube. Seems to be in really nice condition. Only minor scratches, that probably can be polished off. One USB port is missing the plastic part in the center. Looks like normal off-the-shelf part, so it might be possible to replace for cheap.

Bigger headache is the missing power adapter. It needs 28V/205W, and has some funky connector, so that's going to cost. Original PSUs are insanely priced, so those are not an option.

I never owned a Mac but I don't understand why there is so much hate for the G4 Cube. I find it to be an extremely attractive design; way better than the bright, gaudy colors of the earlier iMac and tower computers.

Reply 52361 of 52778, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-03-29, 13:42:

Just picked up this Cube. Seems to be in really nice condition. Only minor scratches, that probably can be polished off. One USB port is missing the plastic part in the center. Looks like normal off-the-shelf part, so it might be possible to replace for cheap.

Bigger headache is the missing power adapter. It needs 28V/205W, and has some funky connector, so that's going to cost. Original PSUs are insanely priced, so those are not an option.

I never owned a Mac but I don't understand why there is so much hate for the G4 Cube. I find it to be an extremely attractive design; way better than the bright, gaudy colors of the earlier iMac and tower computers.

The "extremely attractive design" was pretty much everything it had when compared to apples other offerings. If you wanted a serious machine you would get a properly up-gradable G4 tower for a little more and if you just needed an email machine you could get get an iMac for cheaper. There was just no reason for it to exist.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 52362 of 52778, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
InTheStudy wrote on 2024-03-29, 13:26:
Are you on team "preserve originality at all costs", or team "preserve functionality over originality"? Because from five minute […]
Show full quote

Are you on team "preserve originality at all costs", or team "preserve functionality over originality"? Because from five minutes of reading, you could power this from a 90W USB-C adapter (obviously by replacing the internal power conversion circuitry) without any issue - if you don't try to run passthrough power to an external display; which is what the extra 120 odd watts were for.

I did a little quick googling, and there were rumours of readily available generic PSU's with the right voltage and pinout, but I didn't verify the data so I'm not going to cite them. Easy enough to find if you wanted to read up and do the research yourself on whether it would work!

Have to confess - if I had a service manual for it. I'd probably be building a complete replacement PSU module for Popcorn (yes, I named my synth) . I might well ask the technician to identify the internal voltages while doing the repair, now that I'm thinking about it. Could be useful. Should be going to him next week.

I'd like to avoid modifying the machine, if possible. I'm going to use it with my 20" cinema display, so I guess it needs somewhat close to original power rating. I found a 28V/160W power brick for about 60 euros, and a suitable connector to splice in, so I think I will go with that.

I saw those TDK power supplies at Mouser, that are supposedly direct fit, but they cost over 200 euros at 165W capacity. I'm not going to spend that kind of money.

Reply 52363 of 52778, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-03-28, 09:44:
I bough one of my Unicorn Motherboards today, a Epox EP-MVP3G5 Super 7 motherboard with a full fat 2Mb of L2 Cache . The board h […]
Show full quote

I bough one of my Unicorn Motherboards today, a Epox EP-MVP3G5 Super 7 motherboard with a full fat 2Mb of L2 Cache . The board has been tested by the seller who is a retro collector themselves with some rather rare parts and I have bought parts from them before.

Been hunting for this board for a number of years now and this is the first I have seen for sale, I think it deserves to be paired up with a modded K6-2+ 570 to K6-3+ 600 I have and possibly a Voodoo4 4500 or 5500. (I might throw a non modded K6-2+ 570 in there at 600 and see which one performs better with the 2Mb L2)

About the only blemish I see is some socket discolouration, seller says its likely from Ozone being produced by the nearby VRM coil components browning the socket plastic and doesn't affect the board at all, I have no reason to doubt this as it seems plausible.

Epox EP-MVP3G5.jpg

Such a lovely rare board.

I have the one megabyte cache version of this board, and it has been the best Super 7 board I have ever used.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 52364 of 52778, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-03-23, 14:43:

Tempting, but I will resist the urge. This is basically fluff surrounding the video card. I wonder why this place doesn't sell on Ebay?

They have dropped the price to $150.00, so I'm being tempted anew. I actually briefly possessed a 5950 Ultra; when I upgraded my former employer's gaming PC from a K7N2 to a Core 2 Duo P5N-E, he gave me the old parts. I never even tried out the card, but ended up trading it to someone for some other computer parts.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 52365 of 52778, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CrFr wrote on 2024-03-29, 15:17:
InTheStudy wrote on 2024-03-29, 13:26:
Are you on team "preserve originality at all costs", or team "preserve functionality over originality"? Because from five minute […]
Show full quote

Are you on team "preserve originality at all costs", or team "preserve functionality over originality"? Because from five minutes of reading, you could power this from a 90W USB-C adapter (obviously by replacing the internal power conversion circuitry) without any issue - if you don't try to run passthrough power to an external display; which is what the extra 120 odd watts were for.

I did a little quick googling, and there were rumours of readily available generic PSU's with the right voltage and pinout, but I didn't verify the data so I'm not going to cite them. Easy enough to find if you wanted to read up and do the research yourself on whether it would work!

Have to confess - if I had a service manual for it. I'd probably be building a complete replacement PSU module for Popcorn (yes, I named my synth) . I might well ask the technician to identify the internal voltages while doing the repair, now that I'm thinking about it. Could be useful. Should be going to him next week.

I'd like to avoid modifying the machine, if possible. I'm going to use it with my 20" cinema display, so I guess it needs somewhat close to original power rating. I found a 28V/160W power brick for about 60 euros, and a suitable connector to splice in, so I think I will go with that.

I saw those TDK power supplies at Mouser, that are supposedly direct fit, but they cost over 200 euros at 165W capacity. I'm not going to spend that kind of money.

Did a little testing with a bench power supply to figure out what is the real power consumption, and it seems Cube and 20" Cinema Display only takes about 75 watts. Cube alone idling without monitor is only 25 watts. So something like 100W PSU should be well on the safe side.

Reply 52366 of 52778, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received 3x QDI Socket 370 motherboards - appear to be unused 😀
Caps look good - really hoping they work!

Attachments

Reply 52367 of 52778, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that wasn’t a long wait to find a system to put between my Model F and my 5151 monitor.

IMG_3190.jpeg
Filename
IMG_3190.jpeg
File size
794.14 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I’ll be able to test it later after I’m done at work. I’m excited to experience the slowness, and my inability to put anything on it until I can get an XTIDE and or some other way to transfer files.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 52368 of 52778, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered an old motherboard today, for Pentium 4, the card is an MSI 845 PRO, uses PC133 RAM (SDRAM), and the Socket is 423, it is probably the first model with that chipset, usually the 423s have RDRAM and i850 chipset, unfortunately there are none here!
However, beyond the MB, the CPU and RAM are included, I don't know the processor frequency, I hope it's an 1800, because I don't have either an 1800 or a 1900, but it could be anything like a 1500 or a 1700 , we'll see when it arrives.
The maximum installable RAM is 3 GB, but it is almost impossible to find 1 1 GB module, let alone three, for this reason, the maximum I can install is 1.5 GB.

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 52369 of 52778, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BetaC for your XT, you could maybe null modem cable from your MMX rig, there's laplink and other transfer programs that have a bootstrap method to download a client. Parallel port mode isn't too bad on them, once you've got client loaded, it's almost as fast as the original HDDs 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 52371 of 52778, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BetaC wrote on 2024-03-29, 19:07:

Well that wasn’t a long wait to find a system to put between my Model F and my 5151 monitor.
IMG_3190.jpeg
I’ll be able to test it later after I’m done at work. I’m excited to experience the slowness, and my inability to put anything on it until I can get an XTIDE and or some other way to transfer files.

My favorite way to put things on my 5150 is with a parallel port CF card reader. There are apparently some out there that are compatible with the 8088 alone, but the one I have requires at least a 286, so I have to enable the 286 upgrade card that is in my PC. If you can find one of the ones that will work on an 8088 they're amazing. It is actually significantly faster to load applications from the external CF reader using an ancient 32MB CF card than it is to use the internal 20MB MFM hard drive in my PC. 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 52372 of 52778, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received a 6800GT PCIe today... but artifacting.
I got refund and kept the card. The second I have which does not work...

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 52373 of 52778, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3uYh880m.jpgnkPTO2Km.jpgS1mLkZXm.jpg

I GOT A TERMINAL!

RCA Videotex data terminal VP3501 got it for $25 no idea if it works. i'll need to finger out the power and video cables.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 52375 of 52778, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A ZX-81 with an interface 1 is the ZX-81 of terminals 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 52377 of 52778, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BetaC wrote on 2024-03-29, 19:07:

IMG_3190.jpeg

Looks like a nice 5160, congrats! I would go with the Xtide and CF. It’s sluggish doing a DIR read but with a small CF becomes bearable. In the meantime you can use your 486 5 1/4 to format and transfer files to the hard drive.
Great systems with such an amazing Desktop Presence when all set up.

Attachments

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eyeball

Reply 52378 of 52778, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The last of my "floppy" goodness arrived!

Alps Drive to go into my DOS 6.22/Win 3.1 machine alongside the GoTek.

Disks mainly for the DOS machine as well.

Sony 2X drive mainly for archival purposes.

Attachments

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 52379 of 52778, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this I/O ISA card for cheap. Anyone know what the data security port is for?

39C585A6-85C7-4B6F-BA32-90F4D9D4F6DA.jpeg
Filename
39C585A6-85C7-4B6F-BA32-90F4D9D4F6DA.jpeg
File size
404.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0