VOGONS

First post, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone – I decided to make a separate dedicated 286 build log. I am sure I will have lots of questions along the way so I may as well document it all properly. I wanted to have (not necessarily build) a 286 for a long time. A few years ago, I bought THIS computer

SuperCom.jpg
Filename
SuperCom.jpg
File size
185.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It looked a lot more dirty and has since the been repurposed. This case now houses my favourite 386 (though I only have one)
AT (Clone) - Motherboard Formfactor
The original had an awesome NEAT motherbard

NEAT-1.jpg
Filename
NEAT-1.jpg
File size
615.04 KiB
Views
File license

with RAM onboard and in sockets

NEAT-2.jpg
Filename
NEAT-2.jpg
File size
397.47 KiB
Views
File license

and a socketed 286/287

NEAT-3.jpg
Filename
NEAT-3.jpg
File size
581.14 KiB
Views
File license

however it also had a real problem and this was the first time that I saw firsthand what a barrel battery can do to a motherboard.

VARTA.jpg
Filename
VARTA.jpg
File size
279.99 KiB
Views
File license

I spend many hours trying to lay new wires and traces but for now a repair of this board is beyond my skills.

Reply 1 of 7, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The original also came with several expansion cards
An CGA or EGA or VGA card?

VGA.jpg
Filename
VGA.jpg
File size
407.67 KiB
Views
File license

An I/O card (with extra memory ?)

I-O.jpg
Filename
I-O.jpg
File size
338.83 KiB
Views
File license

And a controller card

IDE.jpg
Filename
IDE.jpg
File size
474.06 KiB
Views
File license

I hope I will be able to use them in the new build

Reply 3 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The I/O board seems to be an Everex EV 173. I don't think documentation is available, but it seems to be an odd choice for a 286. Normally this type of card is used to expand memory in 8088 systems. My guess is that the onboard memory must be disabled, otherwise there would be an address conflict with the memory on your 286 board.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 7, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, its not exactly my choice. Its simply what was installed on the original NEAT bord when I got it. And I dont know if and how it worked on that board either. I actually have never worked on a board with individually socketed RAM nor have I ever used a PC where RAM expansions is done via ISA cards. I think the onboard memory is probably 1MB. So would you say without documentation its impossible to use that I/O board additional RAM expansion?

Reply 6 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The extra ram is probably 256kb. It’s not really usable on a 286 due to its 8-bit nature. I guess in theory if you disabled all but 256 or 512k on you 286 board you could use the card ram, but it would be super slow. Of course you’d need the documentation to configure the starting address.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 7, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
20240404_124844.jpg
Filename
20240404_124844.jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license

so - the machine is alive - but I have a ton of new problems. The good thing is that the graphic card and the mainboard seem to work fine. That I/O board failed spectacularly with one of the small yellow caps making a firework. I think I wont use that board for now. However the biggest problem for now is the controller card.
It is too big! Its full lenght anyway but it is too broad fro the case.

20240404_133648.jpg
Filename
20240404_133648.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license

Im really dissapointed.

Other things I noticed
- Dallas RTC fix seems ok and holds the time
- except for reset, I cant find any other headers for LEDs. Are those just missing or simply not labeled on the board?
- Due to the design of the board the graphic card wnt go into the first ISA slot - is this a problem ?
- Although I cant use the controller board anyway, I wondered - it has a header for a HDD but its not an IDE but much thinner - what is it and what kind of drive can you connect to such a controller?

Gratefull for any help suggestions questiosn or discussion