VOGONS

First post, by fsinan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a USB Toshiba floppy drive and win11 installed it right away. In awe of happiness I copied some files that I've downloaded and run to my 486 pc. But unfortunately floppy on 486 couldn't read it. I know it is ok and works fine. Formatted the disk in 486 floppy drive and recopied files with usb toshiba floppy driver. Again no success. Formatted the disc in usb drive and copied again, no success at 486 again.

So floppy drive in 486 can not read the files that is written by usb floppy drive.

What could be the reason? Is there a format difference in writing files on Win11?

System:1
Cyrix 5x86-100GP
U-Board ST1A with "0"KB Cache 😀
System:2
AMD K6-2-475(Changing frequently with Cyrix 6x86MX PR-233)
TMC MI5VP4
System:3
UMC U5S-40
486UL-P101

Reply 2 of 10, by fsinan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2024-03-29, 18:28:

Head alignment is off on one of the drives. Either the USB drive or the one in your 486. When the alignment is wrong, you can read/write with the originating drive but not another.

Is there any way to correct?

Cyrix 5x86-100GP
TMC MI5VP4
UMC U5S-40
486UL-P101

Reply 4 of 10, by oLdStuffUser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can confirm that ist is possible to write floppys in Win11 and read the content in DOS. I use an external USB IBM drive under Win11.
So one of your drives is broken.
Try a third drive to rule out the problematic drive.

Reply 5 of 10, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oLdStuffUser wrote on 2024-03-29, 21:54:

I can confirm that ist is possible to write floppys in Win11 and read the content in DOS. I use an external USB IBM drive under Win11.
So one of your drives is broken.
Try a third drive to rule out the problematic drive.

Of course it works. Fat12 hasn't changed since 1977.

Reply 6 of 10, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fsinan wrote on 2024-03-29, 18:22:

What could be the reason? Is there a format difference in writing files on Win11?

In general anything newer than WinXP (except, maybe, 32-bit Win7) can't really format floppies properly. Read and write, yes, but not format. Why are you even trying to format the floppy on Win11?
Format the floppy on the DOS machine. Then, if you want to check, copy some files to it from DOS machine and try to read the floppy on Win11. If that works then just use the floppy as-is. If it doesn't then make sure both machines can read the floppy it wrote, after it was ejected and re-inserted. If that works, but the data is not readable on the other machine, you have one or both drives with misaligned heads.

Reply 7 of 10, by fsinan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

USB Floppy drive can read the floppies formatted on systems floppy driver but it is not true for vice-versa.

USB floppy is not able to write in correct format. It can read its own disks. Not not compatible to 486 floppy drive. Is it a format issue or a hw problem?

Cyrix 5x86-100GP
TMC MI5VP4
UMC U5S-40
486UL-P101

Reply 8 of 10, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, a floppy formatted and written to on DOS machine is readable by that USB drive on Win11 - correct?
If that's the case, try adding some files to it on Win11 and see if DOS machine can read them. If not, or perhaps if the floppy now apprears completly unreadable in DOS, then I would still suspect head alignment. It's possible the difference in head postion is not so big so a drive with better (less noisy) electronics can be still picking up the flux (though probably with problems on the inner tracks) but the other one is just seeing garbage. But just becuase one drive looks to be working better doesn't indicate which one is misaligned. Could be both are, or perhaps both are just on the edge of the spec but on the opposite side of the track. You will need a known good drive and preferably some reference floppies to tell. For reference floppies you can use software that was distributed back in the day, it should've been written on well-aligned duplicating machines. Obviously the floppy must not have been written to since.

Reply 10 of 10, by fsinan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Couldnt find any info to read metadata of a floppy disk.

Cyrix 5x86-100GP
TMC MI5VP4
UMC U5S-40
486UL-P101