VOGONS

First post, by bten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, can anyone help me ID this gpu (image attached)? Looked up the part number and some of the chips but not getting back anything really useful.

This is all I can find about one that looks like it (nothing and also not exactly the same): https://wiki.preterhuman.net/ATI_Mach64_GX_VLB

I get that It's a Mach64 but the ones I find online are all PCI and the only ISA (edit: VLB) ones I have found look different from the one I have.
Pretty new to this era of hardware, any help would be appreciated.

Is this thing useful/good for anything?

EDIT: I think It's a 4mb card; part number is
Part #: V53C104HK45 on the vram, not getting any close to figuring out anything else about it.

Thanks

Attachments

• ati.jpg
    Filename
    ati.jpg
    File size
    134.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by bten on 2024-03-30, 00:49. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a 2MB DRAM model, I have one such too and it works very well in both DOS but especially in Windows due to hardware acceleration for GDI. It doesn't have the compatibility of S3 or cirrus cards with some EGA games but it is definitely among the faster cards in DOS and has better image quality than most other VLB cards.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 8, by bten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2024-03-30, 08:21:

It is a 2MB DRAM model, I have one such too and it works very well in both DOS but especially in Windows due to hardware acceleration for GDI. It doesn't have the compatibility of S3 or cirrus cards with some EGA games but it is definitely among the faster cards in DOS and has better image quality than most other VLB cards.

Cool, I wonder why I can't find anything about it, do you know what the card is called, or is it just a "Mach64 VLB"

The other Mach64's I see online can be expanded to 4mb so I wonder why this one is different.

I guess I will have to plug it in and test out if it's 2MB or 4MB

Reply 5 of 8, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ATI Graphics Xpression
Part Number 109-30300-00
FCC ID EXM301

https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/ATI#Mach_64

The DRAM Graphics Xpression was ATI's last VLB card and was a reduced cost model because VLB was nearly obsolete at the time. Judging by the markings on the chips, it looks like a 2MB card and isn't expandable. It's still a highly desirable card, hard to find, expensive to buy.

Compared to the VRAM based Graphics Pro Turbo (109-26900-30) , it has lower capabilities in high resolution/high refresh rate modes in windows, but is a little faster in frame buffer type applications, a.k.a. DOS games. Graphics Pro Turbo also had sockets for a memory expansion daughter board.

There was an earlier version of the DRAM based Graphics Xpression that was part number 109-27800-10. Similar card, but more complicated layout. Re: Modifying an ATI Mach64 VLB 2 MB into 4 MB card without a memory card

Reply 6 of 8, by bten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-03-30, 14:38:
ATI Graphics Xpression Part Number 109-30300-00 FCC ID EXM301 […]
Show full quote

ATI Graphics Xpression
Part Number 109-30300-00
FCC ID EXM301

The DRAM Graphics Xpression was ATI's last VLB card and was a reduced cost model because VLB was nearly obsolete at the time. Judging by the markings on the chips, it looks like a 2MB card and isn't expandable. It's still a highly desirable card, hard to find, expensive to buy.

Compared to the VRAM based Graphics Pro Turbo (109-26900-30) , it has lower capabilities in high resolution/high refresh rate modes in windows, but is a little faster in frame buffer type applications, a.k.a. DOS games. Graphics Pro Turbo also had sockets for a memory expansion daughter board.

There was an earlier version of the DRAM based Graphics Xpression that was part number 109-27800-10. Similar card, but more complicated layout. Re: Modifying an ATI Mach64 VLB 2 MB into 4 MB card without a memory card

Cool, thanks for this info I really appreciate it.

I guess I will try to get it up and running then, seems like it's worth it.

Reply 7 of 8, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bten wrote on 2024-03-30, 15:43:
Show full quote

ATI Graphics Xpression
Part Number 109-30300-00
FCC ID EXM301

If you don't know the difference between ISA and VLB, you will have hard time to get it running.
And please, there are no GPUs, call it graphics card.
GPU was a word invented by Nvidia, ~ 10 years later.

Sorry, could not resist.

Reply 8 of 8, by bten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-03-30, 16:11:
If you don't know the difference between ISA and VLB, you will have hard time to get it running. And please, there are no GPUs, […]
Show full quote
bten wrote on 2024-03-30, 15:43:
Show full quote

ATI Graphics Xpression
Part Number 109-30300-00
FCC ID EXM301

If you don't know the difference between ISA and VLB, you will have hard time to get it running.
And please, there are no GPUs, call it graphics card.
GPU was a word invented by Nvidia, ~ 10 years later.

Sorry, could not resist.

Haha don't worry about it, appreciate the correction. I've not touched anything before 99' really.

This graphics card was actually already in a pc that just fell into my hands (has ISA and VLB slots).
Gonna just see if I can get a picture out of it for now. (Not sure if this PSU even works and I don't have an AT keyboard).

Pretty much everything is disconnected tho so I'll just tinker away and see what I can get going.