VOGONS

First post, by colsandels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder if I can make the the USB ports on my Abit AB-BX6 motherboard work properly. With both ports, when I plug in an USB mouse, I can see the sensor light turn on for ~half a second, then go off and turn on again, as if the power gets cut off and then turned on again. Same sort of thing seems to happen when I plug in an USB keyboard; nothing happens with the USB keyboard, but I can see the lights flash on the PS/2 keyboard I have connected in same sort of pulses. Also, whenever I attach a device to the USB ports, Windows locks up until I remove the device. I tried to clean the contacts with contact cleaner and even used some fine sandpaper to clean of any corrosion from the contacts in the ports, but it didn't seem to help. Is there any way to diagnose and try to fix this issue?

Legends tell of a fearless and spirited Colonel who led his troops to victory against the superior numbers of the enemy

Reply 1 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Questions: what operating system are you using? What is the history on this board - is it recently acquired with no background of how well it works, or is it one you've had for a long time and the ports have only recently begun acting up?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 6, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First port of call is the BIOS, ensure all USB options are turned on including USB keyboard and legacy USB.

USB keyboard usually works natively in DOS, USB mouse almost never. What OS are you using? Anything pre Windows 98SE will be a challenge.

90s PC: IBM 6x86 MX PR 300. TNT2 M64.
Boring modern PC: i7-12700, RX 7800XT.
Fixer upper project: NEC Powermate 486SX/25

Reply 3 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

was there corrosion inside the port? or did you scrape gold off? 😀
if corrosion then I would expect more on the board

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 6, by colsandels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The OS is Windows 98SE. I built the system around this board around a year ago with no prior use, and this is the first time I tried to use the USB ports. There are only two options that I found that regard USB: "Assign IRQ For USB" under "PnP/PCI Configuration" which is either Enabled or Disabled, set to Enabled, and "USB Keyboard Support Via" under "Integrated Peripherals" which is either OS or BIOS, set to OS. As for corrosion, since it is an old board, I thought cleaning the contacts would be an easy way to try fix the issue, I wasn't sure if there was any corrosion on the contacts but I doubt there is any left after a few cleans with deox and lightly sanding the contacts.

Legends tell of a fearless and spirited Colonel who led his troops to victory against the superior numbers of the enemy

Reply 6 of 6, by colsandels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-04-21, 15:41:

I think the next step would be to measure the USB port's voltage. Do PS/2 mice and keyboards work?

Right, I'll be doing that next. The PS/2 ports have always worked just fine.