VOGONS

First post, by Dan2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Thanks to this nice forum i've been able to solve many problems affecting my two vintage computers, but now i'm a bit stuck on this here:

So i've set up an ASUS P5A-B, together with a Matrox Mystique, a Voodoo 1 and an Awe64 Gold. For now, the CPU is a Pentium 233MMX, 64 MB Ram (one Dimm).
The System (WIN98SE, patched) runs on a SSD, on one of the startech Sata-to-IDE Adapters. The Mouse is connected via PS2. More to this later.
So far the machine works fine. Even the USB MIR bracket is running decently for some data transfers.

Now here is the problem i noticed:

Everytime i move the mouse with a faster movement horizontally, the cursor starts "glitching", like kind of reseting to another position on the screen, while also performing a left-click at the same time.
If you move the mouse slow and steady this glitch does not appear, but you have to be really annoying slow. The vertical movement isnt affected by this. Of course if you go diagonal, things also get weird too.
This applies to DOS and Windows the same. In games and on the Desktop. I tried different drivers, settings in cute mouse driver, but its all the same.

At first i was using an cherry optical wheel mouse (M5400) via the included green USB to PS/2 adapter, so my thought was it could be something with this adapter. But the mouse works flawlessly with or without the Adapter on my other Pentium 3 system.
To be sure, i've tried a new PS/2 Microsoft Intellimouse today, directly at the PS/2 Port. The glitch also remains with this Microsoft mouse.

Another thing i tried was connecting the USB mouse directly to the USB Port, which works good without any glitches. But there is a high cpu tax when moving the mouse, and then again it wouldn't work under pure DOS.

Connecting an additional USB/PS2 PCI card and running the mouse from this card, also gave a good result. There is a lower cpu consumption, but still the mouse would not be detected under DOS this way.

I'm assuming there has to be a problem on the mainboard connector maybe? SInce both mice work as intended on another system, they shouldn't be the problem.

Did anyone had this problem on this particular mainboard yet? What could be done next?
Thanks for your Tips!

Last edited by Dan2k on 2024-04-18, 18:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by Dan2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE 1:

So, after playing with various Bios & Windows settings, with no progress, i decided to take a closer look at the internal PS/2 connector bracket which is hooked besides the usb connectors.
I didn't pay much attention when i was building the system, but at a closer look now, the whole connector was butchered together badly. The wires coming from the outside cable to the inside of the connector were very thin and barely holding at the place.
And the whole thing looked heavily (badly) DIY'ed, not the standard one where the crimped cables fit from above inside the holes. Maybe this was the fault here?

So i took another PS/2 bracket which i had in spare, reconnected the wires to match the required pinout from the mainboard (checked with a Multimeter), and basicaly had a new PS/2 bracket again.

Still, the issue with the jumping cursor remains . 😀

I suspect there is something funky with the CLK/DATA signal going on at the PS/2 port. Hope to dig into this later, stay tuned. 😉

Reply 3 of 4, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you checked the voltage of the PS/2 header pins with a meter? This isn't for your board (though yours might be the same as one of these) but you get the idea.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 4, by Dan2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-04-18, 18:44:

Have you checked the voltage of the PS/2 header pins with a meter? This isn't for your board (though yours might be the same as one of these) but you get the idea.

Gonna check this the next time, when i fiddle around with the system again.