VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skorbin wrote on 2024-04-19, 07:19:

Just a side note: AMD Athlon XP are normally not expensive either. Might not have the nice circle around the logo, though ... 😉

Have not checked the prices yet but yes The Athlon XP is popular in the retro field and worth considering as well.

But I will put some research into the amd side of things as well and start to check out some athlon boards as well just in case the the Ausus board is really gone.

Reply 21 of 26, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess you'll have to set the FSB at 100MHz if you want to use the V3 with a tualatin. Not sure the V3 likes 133MHz.
Oh and the Abit AB-ST6 won't have problems with any Voodoo AGP card. Copy / paste from the Abit website:

"Supports AGP 1X/2X/4X (Sideband) 1.5V/3.3V device"

Edit:
I have a MSI KT3 Ultra laying around, with an Athlon XP+ 2400 (not quite sure though).
Even if the manual doesn't mention it, an AGP 3.3V card will work with this board.

Reply 22 of 26, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kouwes wrote on 2024-04-19, 07:41:
I guess you'll have to set the FSB at 100MHz if you want to use the V3 with a Tualatin. Not sure the V3 likes 133MHz. Oh and the […]
Show full quote

I guess you'll have to set the FSB at 100MHz if you want to use the V3 with a Tualatin. Not sure the V3 likes 133MHz.
Oh and the Abit AB-ST6 won't have problems with any Voodoo AGP card. Copy / paste from the Abit website:

"Supports AGP 1X/2X/4X (Sideband) 1.5V/3.3V device"

Edit:
I have a MSI KT3 Ultra laying around, with an Athlon XP+ 2400 (not quite sure though).
Even if the manual doesn't mention it, an AGP 3.3V card will work with this board.

Thanks for the info. I would have checked the Abit AB-ST6 online anyway. Just got word from the shop and Asus is gone and beyond saving.

I have to start over again so will look deeper into the Abit ST6 and will also research more about potential Athlon boards that might support a V3.

In the long run, the V3 is going to get a new home anyway. When I helped clean the house from a recently deceased realative I was gifted with
Gigabyte GA-5AA mainboard and a case. Turning those parts at some point in the future into a socket 7 system could be an interesting project. And for a neat Socket 7 system a V3 should be a good card.

Reply 23 of 26, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
predator_085 wrote on 2024-04-19, 06:27:

But just out of curiosity whichh GPU would be suitable to max out a Tualatin?

That would be the top end of the AGP cards, FX5950, FX6800, Radeon 9800 Pro.... which all burn up, or have BGA RAM problems, such that a working one is rare. It's wise just to settle with an FX5700 or 9600 as "good enough" and keep your remaining hair.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 24 of 26, by Skorbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-19, 15:15:

That would be the top end of the AGP cards, FX5950, FX6800, Radeon 9800 Pro.... which all burn up, or have BGA RAM problems, such that a working one is rare. It's wise just to settle with an FX5700 or 9600 as "good enough" and keep your remaining hair.

Well, you might check the X800/x850 lineup as well, but the same applies here: the top of the line of them tend to overheat easily.
Especcially those with the bridge chip are prone to die fast as on most cards that the bridge chip is not adequately cooled (beside other chips).
That is the reason that not so many X850 XT PE live to this date anymore.

Reply 25 of 26, by Linoleum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2024-04-19, 00:38:
Your always going to have a bottleneck. For me I'd prefer it to be the GPU over the CPU. […]
Show full quote

Your always going to have a bottleneck. For me I'd prefer it to be the GPU over the CPU.

That said you could get a P4 motherboard with AGP and it'll do everything a Tualatin could do for much cheaper price.
Yes it'll be held back by the V3 but it's not going to hurt anything if money is tight.

On the flip side do you have any games been held back by the existing P3 800?
I know none of my 9x games require anything more than a P3 600. Once games start to struggle on that system, they are better off on my XP rig with more modern D3D Nvidia card.

If it's just a case you want a Tualatin because it'll make you happy and nothing to do with performance then thats totally fine as well. Thats why most my PC's are built!

THIS!

After getting a "bargain" on a V3, I checked a lot of benchmarks to see how games were CPU bonded around 1999-2001... From what I remember, 1.2Ghz was were you'd reach the inflection point with a V3. So took an early P4 with universal AGP because: a) they're cheaper like you said, b) I wanted a small PC and micro-ATX was a lot more common and c) you get a lot more speed from DDR ram and raw power (if you get a 1.7 or 1.8ghz). So all you have to focus on, is optimizing your GPU.

#1: Sempron 3000+, 1Gb, HD3650 AGP, SB Audigy 2 ZS
#2: P4 1.8Ghz, 512Mb, Voodoo3 3000, SB Live!
#3: P3 866Mhz, 384Mb, Riva TNT2 AGP, SB Live!
#4: P233 MMX, 64Mb, ATI Rage II+, SB 32
#5: P100, 32Mb , S3 Virge, Sb16 & PicoGus v2.0

Reply 26 of 26, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-19, 15:15:

Ok thx for the info. I will keep that in mind and I will avoid going to high end in order to avoid over heating issues. A Geforce 4, one of the fx 5700 series or the Ati Redeon sound attractive enough for me any way.

I have also made progress with my upcoming mobo. I will either get a Abit AB-ST6 or a Athlon Xp board from MSI. I still need to so some more research about the Athlon board to be sure if i would be suitable for me or not. I do not know the price of the MSI board yet ( the seller has not replied yet) and I also need to check out whch power supply I would need.