VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatron-uk wrote on 2024-04-20, 07:28:

An FPGA design may be the way to go here.

Yes I am lately intrigued by the Next186 core which does 90-110 "Landmark Mhz" which would be about a 66Mhz 286.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 25, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wasn't the one that looks like the middle of a Tardis also fluid cooled and 5+ years older?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23 of 25, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Water cooling any chip before the complete move to "flip chip" technology is kind of pointless, since the limits on the cooling are between the chip die and the package in which it is encapsulated in older chips. Also, it's not until we get to 40-50+ Watts TDP and smaller process nodes that water cooling can become cost-effective.

As for the earliest water cooling I've seen... I think that takes me back to socket 462/A systems. I'm sure someone tried it even long before then... but s462 was when many people really started to do "silly" things with their systems to get it to the highest possible clock. I remember running into random websites that showed off custom builds with completely hand-made water blocks and systems. Now those were the truly fun days IMO. Nowadays, you just buy everything and slap it together, save for hardline water cooling loops, of course - only those are a bit more of a challenge and require some DIY.

Reply 24 of 25, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not water cooling but there was some interest in essentially building fridge cases for overclocking - eg. Kryotech's K6-2 system in '98 (https://www.anandtech.com/show/210). Asetek also did some epic Vapochill cases a few years later.

Reply 25 of 25, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote on 2024-04-20, 16:17:

Not water cooling but there was some interest in essentially building fridge cases for overclocking - eg. Kryotech's K6-2 system in '98 (https://www.anandtech.com/show/210). Asetek also did some epic Vapochill cases a few years later.

i actually almost purchased a vapochill pc running a p3 or athlon a few years ago for $400. the deal fell through though.

1:intel Core 2 Extreme QX 6700, 2X GeForce 8800GTX SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, XFX 780i SLI, 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2, Custom Waterloop
2:intel Pentium MMX , ATI Rage 3D, SoundBlaster16, Diamond Monstor 3D, 60MB Ram, Asus P/1-P55T2P4, Dual Booted Windows 95 pLuS!