VOGONS

First post, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been googling this for some time now. Apparently, Compaq makes it differently (understatement) than other manufacturers such as IBM, etc.

I've been trying to find a way to flash the M300 with the latest bios (2002) by any means now. I have the bios downloaded, i downloaded this "softpaq SSM" package (that doesnt really do much) and i also tried winflash (which only accepts .fls files and not really .bin files).

What am i doing wrong (i'm sure lots of things 😁)

Are there fool-proof guides out that that describes how to do it to a Compaq?

Reply 1 of 3, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NM. I finally found a place where a extract-to-disk was actually available. Upgrading bios as i'm typing this ☺️
(from here: https://drivers.eu/Notebooks/Compaq/Armada+M300/BIOS)

hopefully helping anyone else browsing here in the future...

Reply 2 of 3, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for posting this! I've just got a pair of these laptops (with different things wrong with them, so trying to make one good one!). One has a boot error "101 I/O ROM Error" but boots anyway. So I'm hoping flashing the BIOS might help ...

By the way, my M300 also had a whole group of keys fail to register - I noticed you posted about this same issue in a different thread. Perhaps a common problem with this model then? 🙁 My solution was to buy the second M300 with broken screen hinges but working keyboard and swap them ...

Reply 3 of 3, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
justin1985 wrote on 2024-06-06, 20:36:

Thanks for posting this! I've just got a pair of these laptops (with different things wrong with them, so trying to make one good one!). One has a boot error "101 I/O ROM Error" but boots anyway. So I'm hoping flashing the BIOS might help ...

By the way, my M300 also had a whole group of keys fail to register - I noticed you posted about this same issue in a different thread. Perhaps a common problem with this model then? 🙁 My solution was to buy the second M300 with broken screen hinges but working keyboard and swap them ...

Don't mention it. I'm glad to help 😀

yeah, i found some crust inside the original keyboard and i did not feel too keen on opening it up trying to fix it (even if i do have electric paint, etc available. Its just too much of a hassle). I ended up sourcing a new keyboard (an Azerty one where i prefer a qwerty one - key swap is imminent) and now at least everything works.

Fingers crossed for your endevours in making a fully working laptop. They are quite neat 😀