VOGONS

First post, by MyJules

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, this is not quite retro but "old junk" bucket...

I got this 870 Extreme3 R2.0 with Athlon II x3 (which can be unlocked to x4) for free. Since DDR3 price is low, i got myself 32GB and built a Vista PC. that was easy.

To get to the next challenge, I've decided to install Win10 on this old thing but using NVME over PCIe slot (2.0 is the max this board can do). I got it all setup and running ( SSD was used for vista but that is now disconnected and NVME over PCIe is the solo storage device now).

Speed of the drive looks "ok" for PCIe 2.0, though it could have been faster (on read). Since this is the only drive, i'm sure there are other activities that was taking bandwidth while the test was running. So i'd call it good.

Has anyone else see similar perf over PCIe 2.0 NVME??

9lfytdZ.png

zosCVBQ.png

Reply 1 of 2, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Part of the issue could be that you're benchmarking the C drive, Windows could have been doing other things while the benchmark was running.

Check whether there's an updated motherboard BIOS available, it may add better compatibility with NVME drives.

Another thing you can try is updating the SSD's drivers and firmware, but I don't know whether that model is supported by Samsung Magician.

Reply 2 of 2, by MyJules

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lylat1an wrote on 2024-04-23, 02:16:

Part of the issue could be that you're benchmarking the C drive, Windows could have been doing other things while the benchmark was running.

Check whether there's an updated motherboard BIOS available, it may add better compatibility with NVME drives.

Another thing you can try is updating the SSD's drivers and firmware, but I don't know whether that model is supported by Samsung Magician.

thx... i'm sure that slow number is the result of being system drive.

As for firmware, i had to modify the firmware (based on their latest release) to enable me to use NVME as a boot drive. This board is too old to know about NVME drive 😀 If you have other boot drive, then using NVME in OS is fine (since OS has the driver). But to use as a boot drive, it's a different story.