VOGONS

First post, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone !

I found at a recycling center some strange computer parts and I would like to ask the community if you know what this are...

This first one is some kinf of SDRAM but seems to can get a battery attached on the back ...
It is from Compaq so.... server ?
Can I it be used on normal PC ? will it explode ? 😀

20240423_213343[1].jpg
Filename
20240423_213343[1].jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20240423_213328[1].jpg
Filename
20240423_213328[1].jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This second one seems to be an ISA card... industrial ?
I would think it is some recording card for security cameras ? I have no idea
I thought it was an IDE controller card but those are not IDE connectors 🤣

20240416_190826[1].jpg
Filename
20240416_190826[1].jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20240416_190858[1].jpg
Filename
20240416_190858[1].jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Thank you in advance !

Nuno

Reply 1 of 8, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nunoalex wrote on 2024-04-24, 16:57:
This first one is some kinf of SDRAM but seems to can get a battery attached on the back ... It is from Compaq so.... server ? […]
Show full quote

This first one is some kinf of SDRAM but seems to can get a battery attached on the back ...
It is from Compaq so.... server ?
Can I it be used on normal PC ? will it explode ? 😀

20240423_213343[1].jpg

20240423_213328[1].jpg

Probably ECC SDRAM. It doesn't work in boards that don't support ECC.

Nunoalex wrote on 2024-04-24, 16:57:
This second one seems to be an ISA card... industrial ? I would think it is some recording card for security cameras ? I have n […]
Show full quote

This second one seems to be an ISA card... industrial ?
I would think it is some recording card for security cameras ? I have no idea
I thought it was an IDE controller card but those are not IDE connectors 🤣

20240416_190826[1].jpg

20240416_190858[1].jpg

Looks like a 50pin SCSI drive controller. Also have a disc on chip that used to be a storage solution mostly on embedded systems.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the RAM is from a RAID controller.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2024-04-24, 17:28:

[...]

20240423_213328[1].jpg

Probably ECC SDRAM. It doesn't work in boards that don't support ECC.[/quote]
ECC SDRAM works fine in boards that don't support ECC, just like parity SIMMs work in non-parity boards, you just don't get the error detection/correction.

You're probably thinking of registered vs unbuffered. Registered DIMMs won't work on boards designed for unbuffered and vice versa. A lot of ECC DIMMs are also registered, and the vast majority of registered DIMMs also use ECC, but it's the registers, not the ECC, that breaks compatibility.

However as has already been pointed out, this is a custom unit from a RAID controller.

[...]
Looks like a 50pin SCSI drive controller. Also have a disc on chip that used to be a storage solution mostly on embedded systems.

Don't think it's SCSI, for starters it has "MATRIX CONTROL" next to it. Also there's nothing on that card that looks like a SCSI controller, and not enough discrete logic to do it with that.

The sticker on the DiskOnChip (which is on ISA bus so by default basically IDE) says "EDR-1600", which leads me to this:
http://www.securitex.com.sg/Securitex%20Digit … 0Everfocus.html

Looks like a custom card from a security system. Those 50p connectors are for some custom I/O to control the 16 channel video matrix it can display.

Without the rest of the system, what you have there is a rather large ISA DiskOnChip interface, i.e. an SSD 😉

Reply 5 of 8, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2024-04-24, 18:44:

[...]

20240423_213328[1].jpg

ECC SDRAM works fine in boards that don't support ECC, just like parity SIMMs work in non-parity boards, you just don't get the error detection/correction.

You're probably thinking of registered vs unbuffered. Registered DIMMs won't work on boards designed for unbuffered and vice versa. A lot of ECC DIMMs are also registered, and the vast majority of registered DIMMs also use ECC, but it's the registers, not the ECC, that breaks compatibility.

However as has already been pointed out, this is a custom unit from a RAID controller.

[...]

Don't think it's SCSI, for starters it has "MATRIX CONTROL" next to it. Also there's nothing on that card that looks like a SCSI controller, and not enough discrete logic to do it with that.

The sticker on the DiskOnChip (which is on ISA bus so by default basically IDE) says "EDR-1600", which leads me to this:
http://www.securitex.com.sg/Securitex%20Digit … 0Everfocus.html

Looks like a custom card from a security system. Those 50p connectors are for some custom I/O to control the 16 channel video matrix it can display.

Without the rest of the system, what you have there is a rather large ISA DiskOnChip interface, i.e. an SSD 😉
[/quote]

Thank you for the help
So basically useless stuff since I dont have a securitex surveillance system and a RAID controller loool 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nunoalex wrote on 2024-04-24, 19:00:
dionb wrote on 2024-04-24, 18:44:

[...]

20240423_213328[1].jpg

Even though many other chipsets were capable of using ECC without the parity, Intel in their strongarm tactics to isolate market segments put a "feature" in some desktop chipsets that make them refuse to work if ECC is detected.... not because it can't work.. because Intel doesn't want it to work.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 8, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2024-04-24, 22:33:

memory module is from a storage controller by compaq.

Cheers,

Thanx !

WELL good news 😀
They really are memory modules and they ran fine on a normal consumer Slot 1 motherboard with a Pentium III like a normal SDRAM module 😀
And even with some blinking lights hehehe

thanx