VOGONS

First post, by kepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I try to add network card to my tiny 486 Siemens. It has 2 ISA slots, 50 MHz 486 and 16 MB of RAM.
This is model of MB used in this computer https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/siemen … stem-board-d824

I bought already 3 ISA network card and none of them works with this PC. First two were based on RL8019AS chip and the last one is Compex RL2000 PNP. After switching to PNP this cards work on my different computer

I have tried to set this on DOS, W311fw and W95.

All utility software detects this card and i can change settings

On DOS packet driver detects network card (and its MAC adres) but when i try to use DHCP from mTCP pack there were only timeout.

On W311fw i got error during boot. I tried different drivers without success

On W95 I also got error and in device manager all of the network card has code 10. I try to change mode to pnp still without success.

Im reinstalling the OS'es multiple times, change setting, and even try to use different router. I want to use it with sound card, but without it it still don't work.

This is my BIOS config, maybe there is a problem in BIOS?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 25, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My RTL8019 can work in 3 modes (similarly to this one: https://github.com/Manawyrm/ISA8019):
1) Jumper
2) Jumperless (eprom)
3) PNP
What about yours ?

Did you try to play with RSET8019.EXE dos utility (available from link above) ? Maybe there is resource (I/O, memory, IRQ) conflict ?

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 2 of 25, by kepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zyga64 wrote on 2024-05-04, 14:08:
My RTL8019 can work in 3 modes (similarly to this one: https://github.com/Manawyrm/ISA8019): 1) Jumper 2) Jumperless (eprom) 3) […]
Show full quote

My RTL8019 can work in 3 modes (similarly to this one: https://github.com/Manawyrm/ISA8019):
1) Jumper
2) Jumperless (eprom)
3) PNP
What about yours ?

Did you try to play with RSET8019.EXE dos utility (available from link above) ? Maybe there is resource (I/O, memory, IRQ) conflict ?

I have tried all 3 modes. Jumperless mode remembers last set without additional eeprom. I have also try multiple resource combinations (some of them was proposed by Win 95)

Reply 4 of 25, by kepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rwolf wrote on 2024-05-04, 16:26:

Since (what I understand) this motherboard uses a riser slot for the two ISA cards, there could be some issues with poor/bent connections on the riser board itself?

At the meantime I've got similar idea. I put off the riser. It looks super clean, like brand new . I spray some ipa on the slot (and the ISA slots on riser). It didn't change anything, but i made more photos

This is card configuration utility

IMG_3923 Duży.jpeg
Filename
IMG_3923 Duży.jpeg
File size
333.86 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This is packet driver

IMG_3925 Duży.jpeg
Filename
IMG_3925 Duży.jpeg
File size
230.9 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This is DHCP from mtcp

IMG_3927 Duży.jpeg
Filename
IMG_3927 Duży.jpeg
File size
244.43 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ps. One more thing, i got Aztech sound card on one isa slot and works copletly fine. I have tried network card on both available slots without success

Reply 5 of 25, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it have any way to set ISA bus speed? If it's on a cpuclk/3 setting it might be too fast.

edit: nevermind, looks like you must have a DX2-50 as only 25 and 33 bus speeds listed. If it doesn't work on 25Mhz setting it's likely not a speed problem.... unless it's set at clk/8 and wayyyy too slow.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 25, by kepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-05-04, 17:53:

Does it have any way to set ISA bus speed? If it's on a cpuclk/3 setting it might be too fast.

edit: nevermind, looks like you must have a DX2-50 as only 25 and 33 bus speeds listed. If it doesn't work on 25Mhz setting it's likely not a speed problem.... unless it's set at clk/8 and wayyyy too slow.

My jumpers looks like this, I switch jumper to 33MHz and I overclock CPU to 66MHz (but I revert back).

IMG_0335.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0335.jpeg
File size
143.38 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 7 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have COM2 enabled then IRQ3 will be shared with the NIC if you set it at IRQ3......
download/file.php?id=192249&mode=view
Try disabling COM2 or move the NIC to an un-used IRQ.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 25, by kepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-05-04, 18:21:

If you have COM2 enabled then IRQ3 will be shared with the NIC if you set it at IRQ3......
download/file.php?id=192249&mode=view
Try disabling COM2 or move the NIC to an un-used IRQ.....

I turn off the COM1, COM2 and LPT1 - no effect

I switch IRQ to 5 in card utility - no effect

This kind of things i tried many times before I bought NIC #2 and NIC #3

Reply 9 of 25, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My preferred settings for 16-bit ISA NICs are:
I/O 300h
IRQ 10

IRQ 5 is the default for most sound cards, better not to use it for a NIC.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 10 of 25, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And try also the NE2000 driver from Crynwr.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 11 of 25, by kepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2024-05-04, 18:56:
My preferred settings for 16-bit ISA NICs are: I/O 300h IRQ 10 […]
Show full quote

My preferred settings for 16-bit ISA NICs are:
I/O 300h
IRQ 10

IRQ 5 is the default for most sound cards, better not to use it for a NIC.

Yep I know , but now I'm operating in "i don't care, i just want this f!@#$%^ thing to work" mode. And I already tested sound card to work with this PC.

I just change settings for 300 10 , no effect.

I found one wrong jumper - my CPU is 100% 486 SX. I switch the jumper but this didn't help

Reply 13 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IRQ 2/9 could be a problem, too.
It's been used by EGA/VGA vertical retrace sometimes (can be disabled).
The MPU-401 and network cards sometimes use IRQ 2/9, too.

It's just a wild guess, though.
I recommend running some more diagnostic programs, maybe they can provide some information.
NSSI and Dr. Hardware come to mind.

Normally, WfW 3.11 has good network card detection, too.
The Etherlink III was a popular card, I think. But there are multiple revisions, too.

Edit: Memory managers such as EMM386can be an issue, too.
Because they use V86 mode and virtualize i/o, which sometimes doesn't work as intended.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 25, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kepak wrote on 2024-05-04, 19:10:

And I already tested sound card to work with this PC.

If you're confident the sound card fully works, it would be a good idea to try the NIC in the same slot, with the same I/O and IRQ - most likely 220h and 5.
That would pretty much rule out problems like bad contact on certain signals...

Reply 15 of 25, by kepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2024-05-04, 19:30:
kepak wrote on 2024-05-04, 19:10:

And I already tested sound card to work with this PC.

If you're confident the sound card fully works, it would be a good idea to try the NIC in the same slot, with the same I/O and IRQ - most likely 220h and 5.
That would pretty much rule out problems like bad contact on certain signals...

Still the same. The sound card works as sound blaster ( tested in WOLF 3d) and network card on 220 5 dosen't work.

Jo22 wrote on 2024-05-04, 19:22:
IRQ 2/9 could be a problem, too. It's been used by EGA/VGA vertical retrace sometimes (can be disabled). The MPU-401 and network […]
Show full quote

IRQ 2/9 could be a problem, too.
It's been used by EGA/VGA vertical retrace sometimes (can be disabled).
The MPU-401 and network cards sometimes use IRQ 2/9, too.

It's just a wild guess, though.
I recommend running some more diagnostic programs, maybe they can provide some information.
NSSI and Dr. Hardware come to mind.

Normally, WfW 3.11 has good network card detection, too.
The Etherlink III was a popular card, I think. But there are multiple revisions, too.

Edit: Memory managers such as EMM386can be an issue, too.
Because they use V86 mode and virtualize i/o, which sometimes doesn't work as intended.

My graphic card on mainboard has IRQ 9 turned off and Im dont use IRQ 9 in network card.

NSSI looks weird, they detect network card, but dosen't detect any ISA card

I was unable to found any 3com network card at this time

I disable himem.sys and still no effect.

Reply 16 of 25, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is your RTC functional and not too terrible? ie losing time drastically.. remember some DHCP lease problems in machines with whacky clocks.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 17 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably not the same but dionb is also having issues with DHCP.exe working: DOS 7.1 PCI NIC packet driver issues (no packets received)
I gathered and upped all found versions of mTCP here: https://archive.org/details/mtcp_20240504
Maybe try an earlier version (doubt that will help but can't hurt...)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 18 of 25, by kepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-05-04, 22:34:

Is your RTC functional and not too terrible? ie losing time drastically.. remember some DHCP lease problems in machines with whacky clocks.

The RTC battery and date its just fine

Horun wrote on 2024-05-04, 22:46:

Probably not the same but dionb is also having issues with DHCP.exe working: DOS 7.1 PCI NIC packet driver issues (no packets received)
I gathered and upped all found versions of mTCP here: https://archive.org/details/mtcp_20240504

I see some differences. Mine PC is a lot older and uses ISA NIC. But the most important part is not working in Windows.

Reply 19 of 25, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-05-04, 22:46:

For anybody tempted to use old versions of mTCP, please do yourself a favor and don't. I've never shared anything that I knew to be garbage, but by using an older version you are missing fixes and improvements that most people should have. It might be interesting for historical reasons but the programs generally look and feel the same over the years while the code improves and the "corner cases" get fixed.