VOGONS

First post, by victormun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all!

Due to a series of random events, I've got into my hands a working GA-Z77M-D3H board with 8GB of DDR3@1600 RAM installed and a low-end mATX case (Tacens Anima AC016). However, it has no CPU on it. Considering that I've already got a Win98SE build and a 2004 AMD64-AGP WinXP build, I thought it'd be great to use these new pieces to build a great (or maybe even the ultimate) Windows XP machine (with official drivers, it is). After checking Gigabyte's website, that board seems to be completely compatible with Windows XP and it supports both Ivy and Sandy Bridge CPU's.

I've spent the last couple of weeks reading through the forums and I've narrowed my search to two (maybe 3) potential CPUs that I could use: i7 2700k and i7 3770k. Some people also suggested the 2600k but where I live there is basically no price difference between the 2600k and the 2700k. That's why I've reduced it to those 2 contestants. Some benefits for the 2700k would be that it's soldered and that it's a bit cheaper. Meanwhile, the 3770k draws less power.

Regarding the CPU, I've got a 970 lying around the house unused. From what I've read around here, there is some sort of official driver. My approach would be to use that 970 an, in case some issues occur, look for something else like a 780ti or a 680.

So, gathering used parts that I've around the house (excluding the GPU, that I would need to buy), the build would look something like this:

• CPU: Intel i7 2700K or Intel i7 3770K
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H
  • RAM: 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3 1600
  • GPU: MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX970
  • Storage: 500Gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA3 SSD
  • PSU: Corsair AX760 80Plus Platinum
  • Case: Tacens Anima AC016

What CPU would you guys go for and why? Also, in case that the GPU would fail, the 780ti would be a fair replacement?

Thanks a lot!

Reply 2 of 15, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a 2700k? For some reason I am remembering the 2600k as the one of that generation that everybody was getting...

My view: go Ivy Bridge. Let me ask two questions:
1) Have you thought about the i5-3570k? Four cores with no hyperthreading is more than enough for a retro XP rig, and maybe that's less pricy?
2) I don't know what the pricing is like, but what about the non-unlocked-multiplier 3700 (or its i5 equivalent)? It'll be a teeny bit slower but again might save you some money...

Reply 3 of 15, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would like to offer a 3'rd CPU option: Xeon E3 (either the sandy-bridge ones or the Ivy-bridge V2 models). Your motherboard has support for them and they are basically i7's, but can be had for much cheaper.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 4 of 15, by sysctl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a similar setup and I opted for the 3770K because it offers PCIe 3.0, unlike the 2700K, which only supports PCIe 2.0. Since GeForce 600 series, all high end NVidia cards are PCIe 3.0.
If overclocking isn't in your plans, you could consider the Xeon E3-1275v2, which is supported by your motherboard and has the same specs as the 3770K, except for the unlocked multiplier.

Reply 5 of 15, by victormun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the answers!

Just one question: wouldn't the Ivy bridge requiere delidding of some sorts eventually?

Regarding the i5, the thing is that it is less common (and more expensive) in my zone.

Reply 6 of 15, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Either a 2700k or 3770k would be fine.

The typical period of gaming for an Windows XP system will be from the late 90s to 2008 or so. Sandy or Ivy Bridge systems from the 2010s should give more than enough performance headroom for games from the 2000s.

As for GPU, again either a GTX 780Ti or 970 will be fine. Similar to the CPU, it will have more than enough performance headroom for XP-era games.

FWIW, I set up my own 'ultimate' XP system with an 3770k and 980Ti. I run games up to about 2008 with no performance issues. Crysis for example gets over 100 FPS with settings maxed out.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 15, by victormun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-05-03, 15:23:
Either a 2700k or 3770k would be fine. […]
Show full quote

Either a 2700k or 3770k would be fine.

The typical period of gaming for an Windows XP system will be from the late 90s to 2008 or so. Sandy or Ivy Bridge systems from the 2010s should give more than enough performance headroom for games from the 2000s.

As for GPU, again either a GTX 780Ti or 970 will be fine. Similar to the CPU, it will have more than enough performance headroom for XP-era games.

FWIW, I set up my own 'ultimate' XP system with an 3770k and 980Ti. I run games up to about 2008 with no performance issues. Crysis for example gets over 100 FPS with settings maxed out.

That's great! Did you modify the INI File for the drivers?

Reply 8 of 15, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
victormun wrote on 2024-05-03, 16:08:

That's great! Did you modify the INI File for the drivers?

Yes, I had to change the INI file to get it to recognize the 980 Ti. Worked great after that.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 10 of 15, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sysctl wrote on 2024-05-03, 12:35:

I have a similar setup and I opted for the 3770K because it offers PCIe 3.0, unlike the 2700K, which only supports PCIe 2.0. Since GeForce 600 series, all high end NVidia cards are PCIe 3.0.
If overclocking isn't in your plans, you could consider the Xeon E3-1275v2, which is supported by your motherboard and has the same specs as the 3770K, except for the unlocked multiplier.

Shoot, you could go with a E3-1280v2 or a E3-1290v2 to really push stock speeds. I use a E3-1280v2 in my Gigabyte B75 motherboard to turbo up to 4GHz at stock. It works great for me.

The i7-3770k isn't a bad choice either. Reports at the time gave it high marks for overclocking. I'd pick it over the Sandy Bridge i7s.

Reply 11 of 15, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
victormun wrote on 2024-05-03, 12:52:

Thanks a lot for the answers!

Just one question: wouldn't the Ivy bridge requiere delidding of some sorts eventually?

Regarding the i5, the thing is that it is less common (and more expensive) in my zone.

Delidded my i7-3770k back in the day. It of course gave a substantial temp decrease when benching and pushing the CPU to the limit, but in real world scenarios, it only ran like 5°C cooler.

Might be worth it if you're one of those guys who finds pleasure in optimizing everything, however most retro machines see so little use that 5° C won't have any practical effect on lifetime etc.

Reply 12 of 15, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote on 2024-05-04, 09:58:

Delidded my i7-3770k back in the day. It of course gave a substantial temp decrease when benching and pushing the CPU to the limit, but in real world scenarios, it only ran like 5°C cooler.

Might be worth it if you're one of those guys who finds pleasure in optimizing everything, however most retro machines see so little use that 5° C won't have any practical effect on lifetime etc.

I'm guessing victormun was talking about the possibility of the paste between the chip and IHS going dry, since Intel stopped soldering them with Ivy.

I've got no idea what kind of paste they used but I suppose none of them last forever. Probably aren't going to go unusably dry anytime soon though.

Reply 13 of 15, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2024-05-04, 11:52:
kaputnik wrote on 2024-05-04, 09:58:

I'm guessing victormun was talking about the possibility of the paste between the chip and IHS going dry, since Intel stopped soldering them with Ivy.

I've got no idea what kind of paste they used but I suppose none of them last forever. Probably aren't going to go unusably dry anytime soon though.

Ah. It's some kind of grey ceramic TIM, looks very similar to the Arctic MX series pastes.

I don't believe it matters if it dries anyways, the TIM interface is centered and well protected under the IHS, which is glued to the substrate. There won't be much relative movement exposing the interface to mechanical stress.

The only reason I can see to delid and replace it is to optimize heat transmission.

Reply 14 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3770K TIM really hampers overclocking. So if that is a concern, you should pick 2700K or delid. PCIe 2.0 does not hamper performance of Windows XP compatible GPUs significantly.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2024-05-05, 09:54. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.